2012 TUNA trips

Harper - one more thing that is not permitted under the innocent passage rule - hovering near another boat. E.g. doing something that could allow the exchange of materials between vessels.

As for tuna fishing this weekend, I should be out at the end of Juan de Fuca Canyon. Will probably hit the tuna waters by about 12PM or 1PM and intend to spend Sat night out there. Give me a call on 68 if you're in the area - boat name is Meant to Be.

Harper - one more thing that is not permitted under the innocent passage rule - hovering near another boat. E.g. doing something that could allow the exchange of materials between vessels.

As for tuna fishing this weekend, I should be out at the end of Juan de Fuca Canyon. Will probably hit the tuna waters by about 12PM or 1PM and intend to spend Sat night out there. Give me a call on 68 if you're in the area - boat name is Meant to Be.

Good luck out there seadna. Let us know how the overnighter goes (cool stuff). You going to try for humbolts in the middle of the night?

seadna,

will you anchor up in the shallower water or just float for the night with a sea anchor or something? what kind of boat will you be in?

our heavy action last Saturday was all in the am, we landed all in the morning and had some decent hits but nothing stuck in the afternoon, im sure things change daily out there

here are a few photos of the end of the day and 1 of bleeding the 1st fish and dropping it into the flush tank.

Attachments

• IMG_6936.jpg
    IMG_6936.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5959(1).jpg
    IMG_5959(1).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_9891.jpg
    IMG_9891.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3689.jpg
    IMG_3689.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 150
seadna,

will you anchor up in the shallower water or just float for the night with a sea anchor or something? what kind of boat will you be in?

our heavy action last Saturday was all in the am, we landed all in the morning and had some decent hits but nothing stuck in the afternoon, im sure things change daily out there

We'll float for the night with a sea anchor and the anchor light on with one guy on a watch. I only have about 250' of anchor chain (and the boat is all chain) so I'd have to run quite away back in to get to anything shallow enough to anchor and at that point, I might as well return to the marina. However, I may move inland just a tad to hit the "South Prarie" (the 350-500' deep area on the N edge of the Juan de Fuca canyon). Some nice kings have been coming off that area in the past month or so and I might be doing a night-time troll to see if I can pick up a few salmon in addition to the tuna.

Still interested in any tips on going after Humboldt squid.

I would think that you would try jigging for them with bait under some spreader lights at night???

Good luck out there...

I jigged them in that daytime once. Basically when they were here they hit anything. The problem was that when we hooked them if we pulled to hard the hook would tear through their skin so we had to be very careful and play them gently to the boat and net them. We used lead jigs. They were thick though and eating even plugs just floating still on the surface in the middle of the day. Get a dive light and lower it down as deep as you dare and bring it up to your jigs. Nights a whole other thing. creepy. you never know. you may lure up a squid so big you wish you never tried. just sayin.

I would think that you would try jigging for them with bait under some spreader lights at night???

Good luck out there...

I saw a couple of posts on the black and red site where they did just that. On the overnight post's I have read they just take turns napping and a couple of guys stay up at all times. You might as well do something while your up lol. Then when the early morn comes you start trolling as your right there at the tuna grounds (hopefully!).

P8030032.jpg

P8030022.jpg

Each one of a humbold's suction cups has one of these teathy rings in them. Yikes!
IMGP0628.jpg

Just to feed the addiction lol!!! The rod's going off are awesome in this vid with a cool double near the end. Good luck to whom ever makes it out this weekend:).

[video=vimeo;47150681]http://vimeo.com/47150681

seadna hope to be out at nitnat on sat or sun, just lining up/confirming crew, will try to get you on 68. will stay on that channel also have sat phone on board so if you need a call to land or something I can relay for you

seadna hope to be out at nitnat on sat or sun, just lining up/confirming crew, will try to get you on 68. will stay on that channel also have sat phone on board so if you need a call to land or something I can relay for you

If I remember, I'll set one of my radios to scan 68. Normally on 16 with a switch to requested channel after contact. The SST and chloro looks better off the end of Juan de Fuca than off the end of Nitnat. Looks best just N of the end of Juan de fuca so I might be a bit N. Will be running X-rap 20's in the purple/black pattern and perhaps a few feathers farther back. Good luck to you and the crew.

I will be hitten' Loudoun on friday if the weather is good. Dawn Patrol on VHF 19.

Cool em off.

Remember to cool of your tuna!:cool:

Tuna maintain a body temperature 10 to 15 degrees above the ocean temperature so it is important to cool them quickly so they have no time to build up histamines.

My procedure is to:
1) Spike them in the brain with an ice pick as soon as they're on board.
2) Bleed them into a bucket immediately there after
3) Put them into a slurry of 2 parts ice and 1 part sea water within 15 mins. Leave them in that for a least 4 hours and then transfer to plain ice.
4) Once we are back on shore, the tuna are loined out, the loins individually vacuum packed and put straight into a freezer.

I have two big insulated fish wells in the boat and we'll take along several coolers filled with ice also.

Back