2010 halibut season in peril

We would like to say a big thank you to everyone that has written a letter to the Minister of Fisheries and to their local MP'S.
If you haven't yet written a letter, please consider doing so! (visit www.sfibc.com for addresses and templates.)
We would appreciate it if you would forward your letters to the SFI at info@sportfishing.bc.ca so that we can track the pressure we are applying!

Rob Alcock just returned from what appears to be the last meeting of the Halibut Allocation Transfer Committee. The ball is back in the Governments court. Rob has no confidence that the outcome of the process will favour the Recreational Sector. He will be providing a written report early next week. It has become even more apparent that this issue will be resolved with Political Will.

Please keep the letters coming!

Many thanks,
Team SFI

Business

Just so it's clear here, you're not talking about recreational or sport fishing here are you?

You are talking about competition between one type of commercial fishing business versus the other right?

Just so it's clear here, you're not talking about recreational or sport fishing here are you?

You are talking about competition between one type of commercial fishing business versus the other right?

Jack you need to read the thread because you seem to be misinformed.

If you don’t have the time to research the true issues, here is a quick brake down.

FN gets a slice off the top for FSC (food, social and ceremonial purposes

The remainder is divided between two groups, commercial and recreational fishers

88% of the halibut were given for free to some 435 commercial fishermen.
Of those commercial fishermen only 149 go out in a boat and catch fish.
You know, like a commercial fisherman are supposed to do.
The other 286 fake fishermen have rented their quota to active real commercial fishermen for 3 to 4 dollars a pound. For those 149 real commercial fishermen that is they’re highest cost of doing business. What do the 286 fake fishermen do? Sit at home and wait for cheques from real fisherman. They also wait at home for cheques from DFO who rents quota off them to give back to the people of Canada.

12% of the halibut goes to the rest of the people in this country to go out and catch.
Some of us use our own boats and some of us go out in a charter boat. Yes you heard right we hire a boat and a guide to take us out and catch one or two fish.

Hope that helps clear up you question.

GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting, so can someone break this down: 100% - % to FN - % commercial - % sport. the three user groups should total 100%, not just two user groups totalling 100%.

thanks, just curious about the overall distribution of the limited resource.

down this way, we have not heard yet just how WDFW is going to **** with us this coming season, but they will without doubt be skewing the sport catch downward to allow more commercial catch. just the same game with different players and rules along with lots of slight of hand and voodoo statistics thrown in for the hell of it. and as usual, the groups who claim to look out for and represent the sport angling community will be sititng on their hands doing the do nothing shuffle to the beat.

When writing to your politicians, they are supposed to respond to specific questions when asked, so it is best to prompt actions with specific questions such as:
- were you aware that the minister promised no closures for sporty's
- have you discussed these issues with your contituents, party, provincial ministry of tourism, city/local tourism groups, etc
- do you have an written proof that these stakeholder groups support closures of the fishery mid-season when commercial halibut fishermen are allowed to continue fishing through the year and have unused quaota at year end?
- do you think 88/12 is a fair allocation of a public resource, if so please defend your logic
- do you consider wild pacific halibut a common resource for the public?
- can you explain how the allocation of halibut to quota holders complies with common law principles such as ferrae naturae, where title to wild animals does not accrue to the pursuer until they capture it? They cannot own a public wild resource on a public waterbody.
- have you researched the value of the recreational fishing to local communities selling boats, gas, fishing tackle, marine parts, marine clothing, bait, tours, fishing charters, boat insurance, airplane charters to get to fishing camps, etc
-do you think halibut quotas should be allowed and if so, should they only be kept if fished by the owner
- Did you know that inactive/retired/ rich halibut fishermen historically have been able to lease their quota for approximately $100,000 to $150,000 per year?
- Do you think it is fair to cut the sportsfishing season short, causing loss of sales and jobs to small communities, when commercial fishers have so much quota they have been unable to catch their 88% portion of the environmentally sustainable allocation?
-Do you think making the sportfishing sector (with no legal entity to hold their funds) lease additional quota from commercial fishers is fair if the commercial fishers have not even been using all of "their" portion of this public resource of wild fish?
-Are you willing to meet with local sportsfishermen to discuss this issue? When?
-Will you support the lifestyles and livelihoods of the majority, over the interests of the minority commercial halibut quota holders in order to ensure that the wild halibut common resource is available to the public first. What actions will you take?

If we contact federal MP's, conservative supporters, local mayors in sportfishing&tourism dependent towns, they likely have some political pull and ability to organize

provincial ministry of tourism
HONOURABLE MARGARET MacDIARMID
PO BOX 9071 STN PROV GOVT
VICTORIA BC V8W 9E2

Telephone: 250 953-4246
Email: TTI.Minister@gov.bc.ca

Politicians and bureaucrats work for the people if held accountable.

Well done! Valid point! :D

Whenever, I write to complain, I very seldom get an answer; however, when I write and ask questions - I alway seem to get an answer?

Another idea for influencial groups to get on board are your local Chamber Of Commerce.

Mills Landing is a member in the Bamfield Chamber so I am circultating the pertinant info amongst the membership prior to early Januarys meeting where it will be discussed and voted upon the Chamber here penning a letter on behalf of small business in our community.

I think any of you that are chamber members should look at getting them behind this. That organization carries a LOT of clout.

I agree that it is always best to ask questions in these types of letters. However, I know from significant experience (drafting responses to such letters) that it never pays to ask too many questions because they won't all get answered. Better to pose 2 or 3 questions per letter rather than 8 or 10.

Jimbob

My 2 cents worth guys, keep up the fight. Capt. Josh excuse the plagarism on the third paragraph. 8>)

Dear Mr. Duncan,

I‘m a United States Citizen that fishes in your province every summer. Four of my friends and I bought a house in Tahsis B.C. eight years ago and take turns fishing over the summer.. The five of us collectively spend more than $25,000 dollars every summer between Victoria and Tahsis. This amount does not include the purchase price or taxes on the house. Over the years the average price of our sport caught fish must average over $400 a pound to the economy of South Vancouver Island. That amount multiplied thousands of times by U.S. and Canadian citizens paying fees to fish with your capable fishing guides is a mainstay of your economy.

My question to you Sir is what amount of money does the commercial halibut industry
Return to that economy for its 88% allocation?

Recreational halibut fishermen number in the hundreds of thousands and yet are allocated only 12% of the total allowable catch of halibut. Considering the amount of revenue that sport fishing generates, particularly when compared to that of the commercial sector, it seems silly that these 436 commercial license holders should be allowed to control the majority of the halibut quota.

Please Sir, consider rectifying this inequity.

Respectfully,

Zane Wyll Sr
Tahsis Sportsmen’s Association

Great idea Osama.... Just imagine if all the Chambers on Vancouver Island sent letters to Shea and thier respective MPs. And then a motion was put forward at the Annual BC Chamber of Commerce Meeting to Minister Shea to solve this issue quickly as its basically unfair and bad for tourism..... Now That might carry a lot of weight.

PS Zane-- you must be lowballing the costs???? Your repair bills from blown engines, hitting logs etc alone must be $25K hehehehe........

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou Zane! We Nucker's up here are truly blessed to have the support of the likes of you & Charlie and the rest of you Yanks who are also passionate about fishing. The way I see it is it all works out in the end when we share. Besides, inbound American fish don't always make it past us, do they?

Cheers!

From the front page.... its all here.

2010 halibut season in peril

By Rob Allcock, President, Sport Fishing Institute of BC,
Special to Courier-IslanderDecember 10, 2010

In 2011, recreational halibut anglers could face the very real prospect of having their fishery end mid-summer.

I'm not kidding.

Indeed if DFO insists on holding the recreational sector to a 12% share of Canada's allocation under the current halibut treaty, anglers had better not plan on going fishing later than July.

Ironically, this won't be because there is any shortage of halibut. It is because the recreational sector will have been held to an arbitrary 12% share in order to protect the other 88% which, government has given for free to 436 commercial quota holders.
What is infuriating is that most of the "gifted" quota holders never set foot on a fishing boat. They are "Slipper Skippers"; Fishlords, with the power to make everyone else sharecroppers. In 2010 of the 436 quota holders, only 140 or so boats fished. The rest of the Slipper Skippers sat comfortably at home and leased their quota, (the quota they got for free) for great profits. They will do the same thing next year. I mean heck, why would you want to work for a living when the Canadian Government hands you a public resource for free.

When commercial halibut quota fisheries were established in 1991, a share of the annual harvest was parcelled out to 436 licence holders and their 436 boats. At that point, all the quota holders were active fishers and the shares were based on past performance. The quota system ended the annual "gold rush" approach to the fishery and contributed to greater safety for the harvesters and better prices for their fish. It seems perverse that having accomplished its original objectives, the quota system is now undermining the economic basis of both the commercial and recreational sectors.

What is even more infuriating is the Conservative government's inability or unwillingness to do anything to remedy this colossal imbalance. Remember, the original 88/12 allocation decision was made by Liberal Fisheries Minister Robert Thibault in the final years of the Chretien Government. Yet despite that fact, successive Conservative fisheries ministers insist on supporting the policy.

And while I know East Coast Fisheries Ministers Loyola Hearn and Gail Shea do not understand the importance of the recreational halibut fishery to British Columbians and to the B.C. economy, I cannot understand why North Island MP John Duncan is so willing to sacrifice the interests of a 100,000 recreational halibut anglers in order to support 436 commercial quota holders?

Duncan's stance is even more troubling because he served as a special adviser to Fisheries Minister Hearn when the Conservatives were elected in 2006 and had an early opportunity to overturn the Liberal policy. But actions speak louder than words and it seems clear that Duncan feels that the recreational halibut fishery is unimportant to his constituents both as a social pursuit and as a significant employer on Northern Vancouver Island.

There is a solution.

Recreational anglers who are told that they can't go halibut fishing next year because the sport share has been exhausted might want to remind Mr. Duncan that the problem could be solved in a minute if Shea would simply exercise her much acclaimed absolute discretion under the Fisheries Act. She could make a lot of people happy in both the recreational and commercial sectors if she simply reallocated some of the "Slipper Skipper" quota to the sport fishery and the remainder to the active commercial fleet. I doubt there would be any public outcry about the fact that a bunch of "Fish Lords" were losing something most of them got for nothing in the first place.

So there you have it. The question is whether recreational halibut anglers will seize the day and press John Duncan to save the halibut fishery. He is a powerful MP and a member of cabinet. He is influential in the corridors of Ottawa. We need to press Mr. Duncan to use that power to find a solution for BC halibut anglers.

Visit our website for more information, www.sportfishing.bc.ca

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59930&page=3

Don't know enough to defend the topic as well as some of you. But I'd love to see you guys chime in over here
Interesting points over there!
I can think of a couple guys that "own" a whole bunch of that 88%....
I am not a member over there. Pretty sure Nog will have something interesting to say.
I think a ruling on that quota can not be leased and must be fished would wobble the teeter totter a whole bunch.

Keeping this thread current..... Lots of thing bubbling away for later in Jan...

Back