2010 halibut season in peril

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/2010+halibut+season+peril/3955310/story.html

logo_canadacom_print.gif

2010 halibut season in peril

By Rob Allcock, President, Sport Fishing Institute of BC,
Special to Courier-IslanderDecember 10, 2010

In 2011, recreational halibut anglers could face the very real prospect of having their fishery end mid-summer.

I'm not kidding.

Indeed if DFO insists on holding the recreational sector to a 12% share of Canada's allocation under the current halibut treaty, anglers had better not plan on going fishing later than July.

Ironically, this won't be because there is any shortage of halibut. It is because the recreational sector will have been held to an arbitrary 12% share in order to protect the other 88% which, government has given for free to 436 commercial quota holders.
What is infuriating is that most of the "gifted" quota holders never set foot on a fishing boat. They are "Slipper Skippers"; Fishlords, with the power to make everyone else sharecroppers. In 2010 of the 436 quota holders, only 140 or so boats fished. The rest of the Slipper Skippers sat comfortably at home and leased their quota, (the quota they got for free) for great profits. They will do the same thing next year. I mean heck, why would you want to work for a living when the Canadian Government hands you a public resource for free.

When commercial halibut quota fisheries were established in 1991, a share of the annual harvest was parcelled out to 436 licence holders and their 436 boats. At that point, all the quota holders were active fishers and the shares were based on past performance. The quota system ended the annual "gold rush" approach to the fishery and contributed to greater safety for the harvesters and better prices for their fish. It seems perverse that having accomplished its original objectives, the quota system is now undermining the economic basis of both the commercial and recreational sectors.

What is even more infuriating is the Conservative government's inability or unwillingness to do anything to remedy this colossal imbalance. Remember, the original 88/12 allocation decision was made by Liberal Fisheries Minister Robert Thibault in the final years of the Chretien Government. Yet despite that fact, successive Conservative fisheries ministers insist on supporting the policy.

And while I know East Coast Fisheries Ministers Loyola Hearn and Gail Shea do not understand the importance of the recreational halibut fishery to British Columbians and to the B.C. economy, I cannot understand why North Island MP John Duncan is so willing to sacrifice the interests of a 100,000 recreational halibut anglers in order to support 436 commercial quota holders?

Duncan's stance is even more troubling because he served as a special adviser to Fisheries Minister Hearn when the Conservatives were elected in 2006 and had an early opportunity to overturn the Liberal policy. But actions speak louder than words and it seems clear that Duncan feels that the recreational halibut fishery is unimportant to his constituents both as a social pursuit and as a significant employer on Northern Vancouver Island.

There is a solution.

Recreational anglers who are told that they can't go halibut fishing next year because the sport share has been exhausted might want to remind Mr. Duncan that the problem could be solved in a minute if Shea would simply exercise her much acclaimed absolute discretion under the Fisheries Act. She could make a lot of people happy in both the recreational and commercial sectors if she simply reallocated some of the "Slipper Skipper" quota to the sport fishery and the remainder to the active commercial fleet. I doubt there would be any public outcry about the fact that a bunch of "Fish Lords" were losing something most of them got for nothing in the first place.

So there you have it. The question is whether recreational halibut anglers will seize the day and press John Duncan to save the halibut fishery. He is a powerful MP and a member of cabinet. He is influential in the corridors of Ottawa. We need to press Mr. Duncan to use that power to find a solution for BC halibut anglers.

Visit our website for more information, www.sportfishing.bc.ca

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Thanks for posting this Sush! That's an excellent letter Alcock wrote. I'm sending off a letter to Duncan (Duncan.J@parl.gc.ca) to let him know how I feel about this. The more I think about Ottawa's ongoing ineptitude in it's inability to grasp the vital economic/cultural importance of the Pacific fishery to ALL CANADIANS as well as the plethora of critters who also depend on this fishery for their very existence - the more incensed I become!

I feel a great thunder, slowly but surely getting louder, eminating from deep in the ground of the South Island.

Great letter to the paper. But unless the Cons get roasted by MANY more fishermen and other Canadians that see the unfairness of this policy, and get off thier butts and write up a whole bunch of letters to the press and to the govt....NOTHING will change.

So it begins :)

-People I quote- Little Hawk-" I feel a great thunder, slowly but surely getting louder, eminating from deep in the ground of the South Island"

I would like to add - this should be from everyone in the province of BC just not the South Island-We all should be out ragged bye this as a tax payer & a citizen of Canada.

"Slipper Skippers"; Fishlords, with the power to make everyone else sharecroppers. In 2010 of the 436 quota holders, only 140 or so boats fished. The rest of the Slipper Skippers sat comfortably at home and leased their quota, (the quota they got for free) for great profits. They will do the same thing next year. I mean heck, why would you want to work for a living when the Canadian Government hands you a public resource for free"

So If you have a few minutes shoot off your e-mail asking Mr Duncan "what the Hell" get your fishing partners too, family and friends.
The South Island is a good start- I believe the Conservsative are going to looking for support in a up coming elections -let him know that if he's not supporting your halibut needs- no vote from you :)

John Duncan, MP - Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development - Contact Info

http://johnduncanmp.com/

Toll Free: 1-800-667-8404 BC only

E-mail: Duncan.J@parl.gc.ca

COURTENAY, BC
Unit 104-576 England Ave,
Courtenay, BC V9N 2N3
(Use the Market Travel entrance)

Phone: (250) 338-9381
Fax: (250) 338-9361

PORT MCNEILL, BC
PO Box 1207
#2-1488 Beach Drive
Port McNeill, BC V0N 2R0

Phone: (250) 956-2424
Fax: (250) 956-2455

OTTAWA, ON
600 Confederation Buiding
House of Commons
Ottawa ON K1A 0A6

Phone: (613) 992-2503
Fax: (613) 996-3306

Here's my letter...any idea of who else we should be sending this to?

Dear Mr. Duncan,

As a fourth generation fisherman in my family I have spent my life guided by the movements of fish around this province, and the men and women who endeavour to catch them. From humble commercial beginnings in my pre-teen years, I have learned about the delicate balance of the eco-system, and the need for sustainable fishing practices if we are to maintain the viability of this extremely important resource.

In the past twenty three years since I began fishing commercially with my family as a young child, I have seen this province grow and the popularity of sport fishing grow along with it. I now make my living as a professional sport fishing captain, for a myriad of reasons. The first and foremost being that I truly believe that a sport caught fish is worth tremendously more to the people of this province than a number of commercially caught fish, and that the long-term effects of the sport fishery are far healthier than a large-scale commercial effort on many levels.

What worries me most, is that the current halibut allocation regulations favour commercial fishing so heavily, that the sport sector, including families like mine who are dependant on sport-caught halibut to survive, is suffering.

Currently, 88% of the total allowable halibut catch is allocated to 436 commercial license holders thanks to an outdated mandate from 1991. Many of these license holders do not even fish anymore! They are allowed to "lease" out their allocation to other boats while they sit at home and collect a check. To me this kind of system is more than inherently wrong. Why is the government allowing a minority of license holders to continue to monopolize the majority of the quota?

Recreational halibut fishermen, myself included, number in the hundreds of thousands and yet are allocated only 12% of the total allowable catch of halibut. Considering the amount of revenue that sport fishing generates, particularly when compared to that of the commercial sector, it seems silly that these 436 commercial license holders should be allowed to control the majority of the halibut quota. It would seem to me that in terms of broad economic effect, and perhaps political influence, that hundreds of thousands of residents and visiting sport fishing anglers are more deserving of a fairer share of quota than 436 commercial license holders, many of whom never physically fish for halibut anymore!

Please help me understand how we can work to achieve a more viable distribution of the halibut quota, as families and fishermen like myself are seriously concerned with the direction that this issue is headed. I would like to offer my time and experience with regards to this issue, and will gladly participate in meetings, forums, or any such medium where discussions of this matter are apt to surface. I am happy to cover my own travel, time, and expenses at no cost to the government in hopes of conveying the seriousness with which I, and others like me, regard this very pertinent matter.

In closing, I appreciate you taking the time to consider this letter, and look forward to your response.

Regards,

Capt Josh Temple
Tofino, British Columbia

Dear John, make the call
Courier-Islander December 10, 2010 The current quota system for halibut on the west coast is scary for two reasons.

First, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has allocated fully 88 per cent of the allowable catch to 436 people. That leaves the rest of the entire population with 12 per cent.

So the 436 commercial 'quotas' get a large portion of what should be a common property resource. The recreational sector, residents and tourists, get to share 12 per cent. But even darker is the possibility that the sport fishing allocation for the 2011 season is, according to DFO, going to be less which will mean the season will effectively close just after it opens.

This could have a traumatic affect on the sport fish tourism sector. Right now people are booking their fishing vacations and if one of the great prizes of sport fishing in BC won't be available, well, we all know what will happen.

The solution is so easy. Take a portion of that 88 per cent commercial quota and allocate it to the sport fishery so that the 2011 season will be made whole again. Millions are on the line in marketing dollars alone, several more millions of dollars are on the line with potential loss of employment in the sport fishery sector.

We need local MP John Duncan to make a phone call to Fisheries Minister Gayle Shea. He should tell her it would be better if a few people took a small hit rather than to jeopardize an entire industry.

And the second part of this quota system that is scary? What if they roll that out in the same form and fashion for other fish, like salmon for instance?

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Capt Josh and others when I had a meeting with Chris bos on wed he also wanted copies sent to him via e-mail with your hand written signature on the bottom.
Ask your clients/friends/family who come out to BC to fish to write one as well ask them to include what and how they spend there time here and the MONEY they spend coming to BC and also send it Chris.
Then Chris will hand in ALL the letters at once to the top and basically say HERE!!!!!! there is a lot of POed people... this just gives Chris and all SFAB members and your reps ammo when going into a meeting I urge you all to please do this.

This is 3 yrs now and this may be our only shot!!!!! the line has been drawn into the sand AND we really need to fight this one hard there will not be a second chance this time we lose this one and we are going to lose alot more than halibut if FN and Commercial get there way.

Here is his e-mail c.bos@shaw.ca

Please do this and thank you

Good luck Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Tail spin Could you please post the addresses that you sent the letter to so I too could send my letter to them If it was easy for everyone that might generate more letters to them How many letters would it take to make them notice I sent my letter to john

Members of Parliament

Abbott, Jim (Hon.) AbbotJ@parl.gc.ca Kootenay—Columbia Conservative
Atamanenko, Alex AtamaA@parl.gc.ca British Columbia Southern Interior NDP
Cadman, Dona Cadman.D@parl.gc.ca Surrey North Conservative
Cannan, Ron CannaR@parl.gc.ca Kelowna—Lake Country Conservative
Crowder, Jean CrowdJ@parl.gc.ca Nanaimo—Cowichan NDP
Cullen, Nathan CulleN@parl.gc.ca Skeena—Bulkley Valley NDP
Cummins, John CummiJ@parl.gc.ca Delta—Richmond East Conservative
Davies, Don Davies.D@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Kingsway NDP
Davies, Libby DavieL@parl.gc.ca Vancouver East NDP
Day, Stockwell (Hon.) DayS@parl.gc.ca Okanagan—Coquihalla Conservative
Dhaliwal, Sukh DhaliS@parl.gc.ca Newton—North Delta Liberal
Donnelly, Fin n/a New Westminster—Coquitlam NDP
Dosanjh, Ujjal (Hon.) DosanU@parl.gc.ca Vancouver South Liberal
Duncan, John Duncan.J@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Island North Conservative
Fast, Ed FastE@parl.gc.ca Abbotsford Conservative
Fry, Hedy (Hon.) FryH@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Centre Liberal
Grewal, Nina GrewaN@parl.gc.ca Fleetwood—Port Kells Conservative
Harris, Richard M. HarriR@parl.gc.ca Cariboo—Prince George Conservative
Hiebert, Russ HiebeR@parl.gc.ca South Surrey—White Rock—Cloverdale Conservative
Hill, Jay (Hon.) HillJ@parl.gc.ca Prince George—Peace River Conservative
Julian, Peter JuliaP@parl.gc.ca Burnaby—New Westminster NDP
Kamp, Randy KampR@parl.gc.ca Pitt Meadows—Maple Ridge—Mission Conservative
Lunn, Gary (Hon.) LunnG@parl.gc.ca Saanich—Gulf Islands Conservative
Lunney, James LunneJ@parl.gc.ca Nanaimo—Alberni Conservative
Martin, Keith (Hon.) MartiK@parl.gc.ca Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca Liberal
Mayes, Colin MayesC@parl.gc.ca Okanagan—Shuswap Conservative
McLeod, Cathy McLeod.C@parl.gc.ca Kamloops—Thompson—Cariboo Conservative
Moore, James (Hon.) MooreJ@parl.gc.ca Port Moody—Westwood—Port Coquitlam Conservative
Murray, Joyce MurraJ@parl.gc.ca Vancouver Quadra Liberal
Savoie, Denise SavoiD@parl.gc.ca Victoria NDP
Saxton, Andrew Saxton.A@parl.gc.ca North Vancouver Conservative
Siksay, Bill SiksaB@parl.gc.ca Burnaby—Douglas NDP
Strahl, Chuck (Hon.) StrahC@parl.gc.ca Chilliwack—Fraser Canyon Conservative
Warawa, Mark warawm7@parl.gc.ca Langley Conservative
Weston, John Weston.J@parl.gc.ca West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country Conservative
Wong, Alice Wong.A@parl.gc.ca Richmond Conservative

Here is my letter...sent tonight!

Dear Mr. Duncan,

It has come to my attention, as well as many other voters on northern Vancouver Island and the coast of British Columbia that the current 88/12 split of the halibut quota is neither fair, nor justified. To give 88% of a public resource to only 436 license holders is not only an oxymoron, but also a grave mistake made by the previous Liberal government. My family and I have been operating fishing charters out of northern Vancouver Island since I was 5 years old, and never has there been a possibility of a mid season halibut closure as worrisome as this upcoming summer. Not only would this give British Columbia salmon fishing resorts, lodges, and charters a bad name, but it would also discourage many clients from booking in future years and would take a devastating toll on the tourism industry in BC.

Recreational fisherman in BC contribute nearly $2 billion a year to the the BC economy and to think a mid season closure of halibut fishing would not affect this is a very naive view, one that I would not expect from a Member of Parliament. Your constituency is one that is extremely reliant on the sports fishing industry, without it towns like Port Hardy and Port McNeill would suffer greatly, and smaller communities like Telegraph Cove would be non existent. Hundreds of thousands of Canadian residents are only given 12% of the allocation, yet a select few 436 (actually fewer when factoring in individuals who own multiple licenses) get 88%. While I do understand the need for a commercial fishery for halibut, the current allocation system is seriously flawed and recreational fisherman as well as charter operators such as myself will be taking the blunt of the blow. Mr. Duncan, this is our livelihood. Many families depend on the halibut fishery to bring in guests from all over the world just to make ends meat, while the "slipper skippers" relax at home making hundreds of thousands of dollars in a short time span. This is simply unfair and a system not based on Canadian values. The Sport Fishing Institute of BC has put forth several options that would accommodate all parties involved in a more fair manner.

While my whole family are members of the Conservative party AND contribute regularly to your party, this issue and lack of action on both your behalf as well as the Conservative governments have made us begin to second guess this. I hope that you can begin to realize how important this issue is to all British Columbian sport fisherman and the continued success of the sport fishing industry in BC.

Mr. Duncan, I go to university here in Ottawa and am more than willing to come to your office and discuss this issue further with you. Please let me know when you plan to be in Ottawa so this may be arranged.

Thank you for your time,

David Summers III
Serengeti Fishing Charters
www.serengetifishingcharters.com
1-888-281-2275

My Letter is sent as well!
Well said by many...good to see you on this thread JT!!!

How's the herd fishing?

Getbent

Awsome guys now print them off and send them to all the MPS via canada post because a hard copy of a letter has to be read and then responded too an e-mail not soo much you dont need postage as it goes to a government member of parliment.
Send them via e-mail as well we have too flood them with letters to the point they will finally say WHAT THE F@#K is going on out in the west!!!!!
Then like I said erlier send one of to Chris Bos as he needs these letters can you imagine the look on a the MPS face when he drops off boxs of protest letters to her she will know she has created a shiat storm then.
Tell everyone even non fisherman to write one lets get this ball rolling and squash it....

Thanks guys and keep up the good work

Wolf

Fired one off to Duncan & Lunn. (and Chris)

December 11, 2010
Hon. John Duncan MP.
Dear Sir,
Please be advised that the tremors you are feeling beneath your feet at this moment is subsequent to the growing groundswell of opposition emanating from the South Island over the disastrous and absolutely undemocratic Pacific halibut allocation policy.
As a passionate life-long recreational fisherman and founding member of the Wild Salmon Alliance, I am continually amazed and dumbfounded by the endless string of managerial-ineptitudes that gushes from fisheries managers in Ottawa. Regardless that recreational fishing activities generates billions directly into local economies and favorably impacts the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands across Canada, Ottawa continues to ‘spit’ on and insult us by effecting early closures on OUR abundant halibut resource so that a handful of ‘Gifted’ commercial fisherman can rape a windfall.

My fellow sportfisherman here on the Island and throughout this great Province have had enough. Too long have we bore the shame and disgust of living in a country whose primary stewards of the resource (DFO) supports the environmentally destructive salmon-farming industry more so than wild Pacific salmon; who appoints then installs as Captain of all Canada’s fishes – a woman with a strong Social Services background who wouldn’t know the business-end of a hook if it was stuck in her ear, let alone grasp a wisp of understanding of the immense value of the Wild Pacific fishery to all Peoples & critters of BC.
With yet another senseless decision on our precious halibut season forthcoming, I urge you, Sir, to join with us and clench your fist and bring it down hard on the desk on behalf of your constituents here on the Island and throughout our wonderful Province. Stand with us and demand that Ottawa ‘wakes-up’ to the truth, that the 88/12 split on halibut allocation isn’t just economically-stupid, it’s undemocratic and unjust! IT MUST BE AMENDED TO REFLECT SOUND CONSERVATION PRINCIPLES, FAIRNESS, AS WELL AS EQUAL ECONOMIC BENEFIT AND ENJOYMENT TO ALL CANADIANS!

Please forgive the graveled tenor of my words, Sir, but I and hundreds of thousands of BC sportfisherman are at the end of our collective rope. As we work to better organize ourselves into the massive force we truly are, each of us with a vote, I for one will look forward with great anticipation to the restoration of respect and fairness flowing from the offices of the DFO.

Yours truly,
Terry Anderson (Victoria, BC)

Back