2010 Halibut Catch Recommendations

Reelfast..

You must not like eating fish very much.
quote:i figure 2 max 3 chicken halibut is plenty for our fish dinners

Consider three 20lb chickens ( and that is generous) , fillet them out-- 50% loss in the frame, guts, head and tail and skin... So what do you have? 30Lbs</u> of fillets. Not even close to what my family will eat!

Be careful for what you wish---

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

well CL, there are only 2 of us. we alternate our seafood diet between salmon, halibut, crab and prawns that we catch along with other tasty fishes we purchase at the local markets. we are not subsistence fishing, we are sport fishing which means, to us, limit your catch!!!!

quote:we are sport fishing which means, to us, limit your catch!!!!
So-- you are saying that its a conservation move to limit your catch so you can go down and buy it at the local markets?

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

tut, tut, CL, you are assuming i am buying farmed anadramous fishes of various strains, not true. one of my favs is tilapia, pond raised vegatarian fish that is great once you learn to apply the spice. bass, large and small mouth, catfish, along with crappie and bluegill also make great table fare. plenty of folks i know fish for these warm water fast reproducers and are more than happy to pass them along.

many ways to skin this 'conservation' issue, CL. as an apex predator who did way more than his fare share of killing salmon through the 70s and 80s, i now look at this quite a bit differently. after having totally quit for over 20 years because of my personal rape of the resource, fishing has a different meaning nowadays.

now the journey is far more important than the grip and grin shots on the docks. but as usual, each of us makes individual choices regarding our extraction resources.

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

i have to agree wolf, i figure 2 max 3 chicken halibut is plenty for our fish dinners. i know of a guy down this way who will kill 10-20 every year. of course we do have a daily limit and supposidly a posession limit but unless someone looks in a freezer, it's impossible to do anything.

Once it is in your home freezer, the posession limit is meaningless. If I had enough freezer space, I could have 500 Halibut in there provided I never went over the daily limit or the posession limits while I was away from home.

As I live in Tahsis, next to the water, I could go fishing every day and stock my freezer provided I never exceeded the daily limits. I don't get captured in the posession limit.

Posession limits are for people away from home who have to transport their catch. They can not exceed the posession limit. They can however take their catch home, go back fishing and bring home another posession limit.

The key here is your PRIMARY RESIDENCE.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Good post Sushihunter. All you have to do is go to Critter Cove in July to see that being practised. Many people taking their limits into C River for shipment south. Head back to Nootka fire up the generator on the freezer and start fishing again.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Commercial halibut fisherman fish WAY ore than 14 days.
And ill still maintain we ARE NOT commercial fisherman as charter/guides we are commercial in DOT eyes as carrying passengers just like on a ferry or whale watching organization.

I know of many guys who go out halibut fishing on every set of tides to get halibut and are very successful just what do you think they are doing with it???how much halibut does one need????

Before setting blame on commercial/guides/charters, might want to look at some of the sport fishing sector and the amout some are taking thats why an annual limit on halibut is in order!!!!!

good luck Wolf
Bottom line is that the charter operators and lodges are making their living off a resource that belongs to everybody, and not paying for that right. If i have a sawmill, just a small one man sawmill, not a big mill, i still have to pay stumpage on wood i get for my mill, i cant just go cut down trees take them to my little mill and cut and sell lumber!A small time miner still has to have, and pay for mineral rights, the same as a huge mine. etc etc etc... Once one is making money directly off of a resource you become commercial , no matter of the size, or consumption of your opperation.

quote:Originally posted by phnapa

Originally posted by wolf

Commercial halibut fisherman fish WAY ore than 14 days.
And ill still maintain we ARE NOT commercial fisherman as charter/guides we are commercial in DOT eyes as carrying passengers just like on a ferry or whale watching organization.

I know of many guys who go out halibut fishing on every set of tides to get halibut and are very successful just what do you think they are doing with it???how much halibut does one need????

Before setting blame on commercial/guides/charters, might want to look at some of the sport fishing sector and the amout some are taking thats why an annual limit on halibut is in order!!!!!

good luck Wolf
Bottom line is that the charter operators and lodges are making their living off a resource that belongs to everybody, and not paying for that right. If i have a sawmill, just a small one man sawmill, not a big mill, i still have to pay stumpage on wood i get for my mill, i cant just go cut down trees take them to my little mill and cut and sell lumber!A small time miner still has to have, and pay for mineral rights, the same as a huge mine. etc etc etc... Once one is making money directly off of a resource you become commercial , no matter of the size, or consumption of your opperation.

[/quote
Ps I am by no means against charter operators or the lodges, but be happy with what you are getting for FREE, compared to other resource users.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

Good post Sushihunter. All you have to do is go to Critter Cove in July to see that being practised. Many people taking their limits into C River for shipment south. Head back to Nootka fire up the generator on the freezer and start fishing again.
If you're not reporting them then you are enabling them.

WE are not getting it for free trust me all the courses and what we pay in insurance etc.
YOU are forgetting one thing we as guides we dont catch the fish we enable people to catch them as THEY buy a licence just like you do but they pay more for less days of fishing they buy a 1 or 3 or even annual lic and dont come back you can say thank you now!!!!!

As these are the people funding the conservation fund not you and me. say a guide does oh 100 trips in a season and and avg of 2 people (quite apperent more) thats 200 liscenses bought paying the conservation fund at $6.42 that equals $1,284 bucks and thats only one guide what did you put in oh yeah $6.42.

Then put up all the money from the lic sales. at $10 to $100 a pop
And you as a resident who payed $28.84 to fish as many days as you want if you wanted 365 days.
I bet just from lic sales alone its close to 5 to 10 grand depending how busy a guide is.then times it by how many guides operate its in the millions how much we put into the economy of B.C.

Reality check its not you or I funding the programs it those people, along with keeping many people in b.c. employed from the kid in the coffee shop all the way up to hotels and airports.

ALL FOR FREE
AS Chris Berman says on the NFL show

CMON MAN </u>

Wolf

I too have a problem with considering guide outfits as a commercial resource usergroup. As some here say they don't take the fish - it's the clients who take the fish - on their licenses. Yes, they enable new resource users to take a share but THEIR share. So, while guides are a commercial outfit in general by charging a rate for providing a service they do NOT qualify as a commercial fishery resource user in my mind. I would file them the same as a whale watching outfit - they provide the transport and the education but you have to look and enjoy or catch and kill a fish yourself as a client. The client decides - I bet if all fishing charter clients would opt to not catch/kill fish during any charter trip but still pay the same the guides would be happy to comply and continue to offer their service just without any impact on the resource. So guiding is not a sale of the resource itself and therefore not a commercial fishery.

C'MON MAN be damned!! I say on the surface it looks real deep but deep down, it's all surface!!

yup, wake up is the best way to put it....the guide industry does not get anything free, they simply help their customers get on the water and have an opportunity to catch their legitimate sport quota. But if your suggesting the best solution is to sell me a commercial quota to run a charter business - then bring it on so I can fish while your tied up at the dock:D:D:D. That is a stupid idea, but if you insist on letting me buy a gift...bring it on![:0]

I sure get tired of hearing all this "us vs them"...when are we going to learn that there is more to be gained by working together with all users of the resource. If we can't start playing better in the sand box with each other we will be destined to a future of infighting and useless debate over who gets the last f*&%$$ fish.

Sorry for the rant, but this stuff is just plain unproductive.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Have any of you people attacking the guides actually been out with them ???, All I know is that these guys work awfully damn hard for there money and just want to get some people who would not generally have the chance to experience something that we all take for granted. Besides all that kissy stuff these guys are doing most of the fighting to keep the fishing rites for all us sporties. Do you really want to put them in the commercial basket??
Just my 2 coppers.

Thanks its good to see someone voice there opinion and getting "it"

Robert your bang on,
kudos to searun and capncrunch you guys would be more than welcome on my boat

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Tx Wolf & Capncruch, agreed we are all in this together. I too appreciate the recognize that we work hard for our guests both on and off the water. We do benefit from the business side of the charter relationship with our customers which some would view as self serving, but I would hope folks would also be able to see that as guides we also have a vested interest in the pure sport fishery for our own personal recreational interests.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Hot off the press ...

Huge kudos to our Canadian commissioners who have convinced the IPHC to increase the suggested 2010 Canadian halibut TAC (Area 2B) to 7,500,000 lbs. In short the Canadian rec catch for 2010 (without leasing of additional quota) will be based on 12% of the Cdn TAC which is 901,440 lbs.
;):)
Breath a little easier folks. Now we can start discussing with DFO what the end of the 2010 recreational halibut season will look like.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Back