200+ yards of fishing line in your prop

Dan

Curious...
When driving a boat and approaching half a dozen or so shore casters who are casting 100-150 feet out, what is the logic behind roaring by them approx 50-75 feet off the shore ?

I know that boaters are supposed to take the inside along shore when cruising though where other boats are fishing but this has happened twice to me now. Is it not a good idea to avoid getting a spool of fishing line(and a heavy lure) in your prop ?

Are some guys really THAT clueless ? ? ?(or drunk?)
Isn't this something boaters would want to avoid ? ? ?
Or is it just not that big of a deal to load your prop with 200+ yards of fishing line ?

What should I start throwing at boats to get their attention ? rocks ? weights ? snakes ? grenades ? ....I'm kidding....sort of ;)

Stalled out my kicker a couple weeks ago after getting my own line tangled in the prop. The mess was too far off the transom I had to troll on my main and fix the kicker back at the dock.

Some guys might not see you there casting others think your lines have sunk enough and others are not even putting two and two together. It deffinetly would be a big deal for a boat to run over your line and spin it in the prop it could stall the motor and/or damage the seal. I'd bring an extra spool of line and some popcorn - if somebody runs you over enjoy the show.

It is just common courtesy to leave a buffer zone between you and shore fisherpersons whether on a lake, river or ocean. I know that this type of thing happens and is most agravating, people doing this are selfish, by roaring by close to shore they may spook any fish cruising in that area and drive them to deeper water. (which may be the intention). Unfortunatly in the past few years I have noticed a lack of common courtesy wherever I fish, people not giving you room to play your fish is the most common on the open water, it often happens that if you hook a fish the opposite happens, boats seem to congregate around you in the hope of hooking one. The only exception that I have noticed is with the rowers in Campbell River at the tyee pool.

Lol, yeah I always bring an extra spool. Just wish I had time to loosen the drag cause it was pretty tight but by the time it starting going out I wasn't gonna stick my fingers in there !
It IS quite entertaining...sit down, lean back and HANG ON !!!!!! :D

If you use braided line you might cast further and you'll make even more of a mess for the guy who runs you over. Where are you casting from beechy head? Some guys cast off points and from the water your invisible until the boat comes around the point.

dont even let the small row boat tinnies get that close ....lol i'll put a buzz bomb right passed his ear
and tell them to get out further even the guys in the belly boats

but have even had guys drift into six feet of water to cast into the same fishing holes
as the guys casting from the shore
so i with you give the guys on the beach some room or if some one is trolling withe the rods out then why
do you think you need to full bore by and then wave hello ???

just gets a shake of my head .....lol rant over

For years I used to fish from shore because I could not afford a boat. Instead of going to where the fish are you have to wait for them to come to you. That only happens in a few places. One year off Beechy head a guy deliberately kept trolling back and forth in front of the guys fishing from shore. We tried to fish around him but that pissed him off to the point he came ashore and kicked me unconscious. Now that's entitlement.

A boat or kayak heads up or down a river the guys on shore stop casting. If I am in my boat on the salt and have some jack arse from the beach cast gear at me first I will be cutting it. Thanks for the new gear. It happens again I will be on the beach gaff in hand or firing ice cubes from my sling shot at you.

Don't be stupid and start casting Buzz Bombs at boaters. Remember there is a hook on that thing and it is considered a weapon. I know as a friend of mine got arrested for a fish hook once.

people are clueless. several times this weekend while setting prawn traps in saanich inlet, jackass small boaters, but mostly entitled yachters aimed straight for me as I was setting prawn traps in a breeze. if they had a clue they would know they were close to getting my prawn line in their props, as well as near swamping me as their wake was 50 or 75 ft away in addition to the chop and I was not under power. so my prawn line is 1 ft under water, chop already washing into my motor well, and jackasses in 30 to 75 ft boats are cluelessly ripping by. One guy near pender was on the bridge with a map up in front of his face like a newspaper, and steering with his knees though a crowd of fisherman trolling. I had to move 3 times before he put the map down.

A boat or kayak heads up or down a river the guys on shore stop casting. If I am in my boat on the salt and have some jack arse from the beach cast gear at me first I will be cutting it. Thanks for the new gear. It happens again I will be on the beach gaff in hand or firing ice cubes from my sling shot at you.

Don't be stupid and start casting Buzz Bombs at boaters. Remember there is a hook on that thing and it is considered a weapon. I know as a friend of mine got arrested for a fish hook once.

Big difference FA in your statement if a guy is in a boat on a river to fishing on the beach in open Ocean
yes i would reel in and let the person pass if i fish the rivers but i don't fish rivers or creeks or lakes for that matter

just the open salt chuck and like to give boaters there space when possible and the lads fishing from the shore as well

they can only get so far out and usually in waders so its not easy fishing compared to fishing from a boat

all i stated was if a can put a buzz bomb passed your or someone elses boat its to close to shore
(i'll cast to where your casting to get your attention not aim to hit the angler or boat )
and dont forget the guy on the beach was and probably there first so why should he pull out for the boater

and come a shore at bonnie-brooke with gaff in hand i am sure the RCMP are going to love that
and be waiting for you back at the dock.....lol

oh i know the guy can give you 3 blasts from his air horn .......lol

Back