20 Hourston fixer upper

Are those blisters tho? They appear to go inwards, all of them. Seems like a gelcoat failure regardless.

They are all outwards like Corey mentioned extra grip haha... not to worried, if i have to sand down the hull one fall and paint it no biggie

Spent the last day and a bit fabbing up some rigger mounts

Found a hook 9 to get me going till the Habour chandler pirate day sale happens and I can sit in line for a day and a half to be first at all the electronics

Attachments

• 2020-05-19 17.26.59.jpg
    2020-05-19 17.26.59.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 112
Spent the last day and a bit fabbing up some rigger mounts

Found a hook 9 to get me going till the Habour chandler pirate day sale happens and I can sit in line for a day and a half to be first at all the electronics
Look at you go!!!

Nice rig!
I just dealt with the same tiny blisters on a 1980 20’er. Sanded out easy with 220 and primed with Interlux Primecoat, finished with few coats of Brightside in Hatteras off-white which is a damn near perfect match. Was a lot of work though. I would suggest trying the 220 and moving up in grit until the wet sand territory. A good wax/buff would be good I bet. I had to much other patching to do and matching gelcoat sucks so went with paint.

Attachments

• C19647CE-E274-4649-8705-7E65407838ED.jpeg
    C19647CE-E274-4649-8705-7E65407838ED.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 73
  • E357A329-3152-46AD-BAA0-4665E42015F0.jpeg
    E357A329-3152-46AD-BAA0-4665E42015F0.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 69
That might be the route I will be going but most of the bumps are on the hull above the water line but below the bump rails, does the paint hold up just as good as gellcoat.

No, 1 part paints are not as hard, if you want a harder finish go with a 2 part paint or repair the existing gelcoat... 2 part paints are more expensive :)

That might be the route I will be going but most of the bumps are on the hull above the water line but below the bump rails, does the paint hold up just as good as gellcoat.
Spray gelcoat , sand and polish. Do not paint the top side unless its repairable paint and you will get blisters in the paint no matter how good it is. Paint is great but im a big fan of Duratec and Gelcoat for the durability. More work sanding and polishing after but the prep is easier.

Spray gelcoat , sand and polish. Do not paint the top side unless its repairable paint and you will get blisters in the paint no matter how good it is. Paint is great but im a big fan of Duratec and Gelcoat for the durability. More work sanding and polishing after but the prep is easier.

Myles, did you re-gel coated your whole boat? Dang that is allot of work...

Awsome ill keep that in mind was going to grab some silica and 1708 today and start fixing all the holes from previous downrigger mount holes in the gunnel

The botom side is a fall project when the boats sitting in its tent

Is this what your gel coat looked like? So it looks as though the 26'er is gel coated, terrible job mind you but never the less...

IMG_6963.jpeg IMG_8495.jpeg IMG_3254.jpeg IMG_4416.jpeg

Yes and no... Gelcoat does go on thick and saves some prep for sure, but it’s a lot of maintenance, starts fading the day it hits the weather and stains very easy. Most paints are super easy to do touch ups and the same can of paint will feather in with some wet sanding a decade later. Paint is much more stain resistant and easier to maintain. I do prefer gelcoat for the rub rail down for docking and towing on gravel, very few contours for buffing/polishing as well. But a roof and deck which more likely to be exposed to sun, less likely to gaffs, docks and dings I chose the paint route. Halibut slime on gelcoat baked in the sun sucks lol. Jmho...

Awsome ill keep that in mind was going to grab some silica and 1708 today and start fixing all the holes from previous downrigger mount holes in the gunnel

The botom side is a fall project when the boats sitting in its tent
One thing I suggest is decide now what route you will go with for resurfacing in the future and chose your products appropriately for current touch ups. If your sticking with gelcoat I advise using only polyester based filling and patching products that will be compatible with gelcoat down the road. Once you go epoxy based you pretty much are stuck with the paint route down the road. Poly will react negatively with some epoxy based products, and will be a poor bond at best.

Myles, did you re-gel coated your whole boat? Dang, that is a lot of work...
No, just sprayed my pod, my spacer, and some other random parts. Also done the transom on a couple of friends whaler. Sprayed a hull on a 22ft pursuit.

My boat will get the topside re-gelled in a few years

Back