20 foot Hourston prop recommendations?

View attachment 102921recommend prop from the dealer was 3x16x18.5 water grip. WOT only got to 4k.
Oh that’s a nice rig! Surprised the 18.5 only yields 4K. I was banging off rev limiter steady with a 19pitch, 250 zuke on same boat. Swinging a 23 now for 5800rpm/50mph. I do remember having to run a 17pitch on a 215 explorer/175zuke. The 4 banger might need less than 17 pitch though on the steeper and heavier Hourston.

You should be between 5000-5500 rpm at WOT but check the Suzuki manual. IMO you'd like 5300. The internet says 200 rpm per inch of pitch but that would be silly in your situation.

Ask if you can test out a 13 and a 15 pitch and see where that lands you. That 18.5P isn't worth anything to you now unfortunately; wayy too much pitch.

My 150 Yamaha sits at 5000 WOT and I wish it was a little higher, but I've got an outboard Jet so there's no changing it.

Your motor looks a little low 16x18.5 is a big prop for the 200 on that hull. I still think the 16x17p and raise 2 holes.

For comparison I’m running a 21x15 watergrip with 150suzuki on an 18 Hourston.

manual says wot should be 5500-6100 rpm’s. The cavitation plate is dead level with the bottom of the hull. Its mounted 2nd hole from the top. How much higher can the cavitation plate be from the bottom of the hull?

Honestly I don’t think dropping 1.5 pitch will get anywhere near 5k, let alone 5500 where you want to be minimum. 15 pitch or drop down to 15” diameter.

Your motor looks a little low 16x18.5 is a big prop for the 200 on that hull. I still think the 16x17p and raise 2 holes.

For comparison I’m running a 21x15 watergrip with 150suzuki on an 18 Hourston.
Agree, there's got to be more than a pitch issue here. 4k doesn't make sense and the most likely culprit is mounting hight.

If the anti vent plate is flush with the keel, raising a couple bolt holes I doubt will gain 1500 rpm. All it does for me is slightly higher top speed and improved economy, and lessens porpoising. In rough water offshore I actually like the leg down deep, there is no economizing on those days regardless…

Isn’t 16” a huge diameter for a 200hp?
What gps speed were you doing at wide open throttle and 4000rpm?

Also, Sometimes the rev counter has switch for 4/6/8 cylinder engine. If it is set wrong the reading will be off.

Agree, there's got to be more than a pitch issue here. 4k doesn't make sense and the most likely culprit is mounting hight.
It looks like it’s on the lowest holes, seems to be sitting low to me but hard to tell for sure from that angle.

Back