1994 Grady white Sailfish

scotty

Looking for some insight on a 1994 Grady White Sailfish. 1994 Saltwater Series engines. Would love people’s opinion. Thanks for the support.

Attachments

• 03BD326A-3A77-47AF-9540-FCF2CE277392.jpeg
    03BD326A-3A77-47AF-9540-FCF2CE277392.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 167
Well it is the seaV-2 hull design, which is supposedly more sought after. I’ve seen those vintage yammies get a lot of hrs out of em and be quite reliable, but they are thirsty.

Looks decent in that one pic. I'd be getting a surveyor involved with a moisture meter to check for wet/rotten wood in the stringers and transom.

Those Yamahas are pretty reliable but thirsty.

I think I saw that online for $50k? WAY too much with those stinky old engines even though they are bullet proof especially if its the carbed models.
As PA says but, you can check it yourself w/a 2# rubber mallet. Just strike the transom and stringers with it.
If you hear and feel thuds - RUN away. You want to hear and feel pings and rings. Gl

I think you could do better for $50k Elsewhere. Excluding the issue of making sure you don’t have water intrusion in the wood, those motors are likely getting close to end of life. You’re rolling the dice. And fuel burn hurts. My Grady has a 95 US gallon tank. Last year it was $300+ to fill up, likely this year $400. Trust me a hundred rpm or two can be the difference on step of 15-25% in fuel burn rate. I run 11-15 gallons an hour depending on sea conditions and desired speed. That thing will burn far more.

Those engines are carburated V6 with a big displacement. Awsome engines. Those engines and the V4s were basically mechanically knocked off from the evinrude designs back then. With way better ignition system. Also alot more expensive parts wise to fix or replace components. Those have a solid state ignition controller module that is a all in one unit. That was the era where new technology was starting to show its face in marine world. They built those right up until the EFI OX66, then HPDI, the 4 stroke world took over due to EPA regulations.

Motors have 500 hours. Hull appears to be fairly decent, needs a good clean and wax. I will definitely take a rubber mallet. Has been sitting in dry storage for over a year. Generally taken to the USA but not last year or this. The boat is being sold by the second owner and they have only put 200 hrs since they owned it from 2015. Carbs are being rebuilt as they were gummed up with fuel and tanks are being cleaned. Trailer was not included in the list price but has been negotiated. Can’t figure out how to add listing or I would. Thanks guys for the help and keep the comments coming.

I had twin 200 hpdi yamahas 2004 , on my gulfstream. I would burn 14-18 GPH . Running at 3300 rpm. Unreal power but not so fuel efficient.. Just put on twin 200 yamaha 4 strokes excited to see how my fuel burn will be now...

Yeah that's a little heavy for 3300. The HPDIs are no etecs that's for sure. They are a bit better than the OX66 on fuel, but alot less than what those carb 200s are. I would estimate that 25ft Grady will burn 10 to 12 gallons per hour, per engine at 3800 to 4000 rpm. Possibly less, just depends on what rpm you cruise at. If your propped correctly 3800 to 4k is where you should wind up at.

It's going to be a fuel pig no doubt.

Just an fyi thats been for sale for a long time, guy started at $65k lol. You'd basically be buying a 25k hull for 50k. Those motors while might be solid 2 smokes, they arent worth much, at most 5k. Seller is out to lunch on the price but doesn't surprise me these days.

I had twin 200 hpdi yamahas 2004 , on my gulfstream. I would burn 14-18 GPH . Running at 3300 rpm. Unreal power but not so fuel efficient.. Just put on twin 200 yamaha 4 strokes excited to see how my fuel burn will be now...
The last lodge I was at we had both twin 200, 225 and 250 set-ups on basically the same (2802s) and same size boats. We actually checked burn rates at various times. Surprisingly, the burn rates for the bigger engines wasn't much more than the 200s. And, the bigger engines were way better for handling the WCVI conditions. The 200s were adequate but, on that Grady 225s or bigger would be better. Maybe a single 350DP Zuke if you have DEEP pockets. See Derby

Found it:

I'm pretty sure this was listed last year too...maybe it didn't sell? It does look clean and original, so maybe it's still solid. But if that's the case, all the major potential problem areas are still there. Like old fuel tanks, the wood in the stringers and transom, and the old engines. I'm a Yamaha fan and those engines have a good reputation, but they're still 27 years old and they'll be thirsty when you're running. Seems pretty pricey even given the current market, especially without a trailer.

For $50k look at @bryce’s Wellcraft. Newer Suzuki and a great setup for fishing!
I’ve given everyone here a couple weeks to jump on it once it’s listed again it will not last long
Motor still has warranty for another couple years
In way better condition then 90% of the gradys selling for way more money right now and has a way better cabin layout and same size deck if not bigger

I know I’m being picky but I’ve never been a fan of some the Gradys and the way the back seating and transom are set up. Ive viewed a couple of them over the years when I was boat shopping for a larger glass boat and was never a fan of them. And this boat is a fine example. With the way that seating is set up and the transom being how deep it is plus you add on those outboards the distance from where you can stand at the back and the distance to clear the engines while fighting a fish is huge. I bet that’s a good 8’. If your standing there and a fish decides to take a run under the boat across the back of those engines it’s hard for an experienced rod handler to get that clear never mind a novice. It’s been one of my pet peeves with Grady. I know like I said picky but for boats that are supposed to be fishing boats to me that’s a huge flaw.

Back