1976 70hp johnson issue

saskboy

Hey folks looking for a little help, got my boat in the water yesterday, it starts great idles perfect i let it warm up, idle out of the channel then put the throttle down it took off real good for a few seconds then bogged out... I started it back up and idles fine but when i engage it, it bogs out. If i use my warm up lever and get ideling good and fast when i engage it it will move slowly, and feels like it wants to go but then bogs out again. New tanks, new plugs, new fuel. So my car buddies who don't own boats are all saying its dirty carbs, I know my basics and am learning as I go so I thought I'd ask here for more advice from people who have had this issue before. Thanks for any help...

Sounds like dirty carbs, they will likely have to come off and be cleaned out thoroughly
before you see any performance from your motor.

Sounds like servicing the carb would be the next. Plugged jet I'd say.

But first get another fuel tank and hose from someone. Try it out if you still have the same problem it's under the hood so to speak.

Never had a 70 Johnstone, BUT, dirty carbs sound right to me. A couple of things about outboards, you should supplement any in line fuel filter with a spin on one, 10 micron is good. When shutting down for the season, add plenty of fuel preservative to the tank on your last run. Drain the carbs when putting it away for the winter, I think the fuels we use now can somehow corrode the metals in the bowls, and this puts small pieces of metal and other crud in the fuel passages. Good luck.

i got 2 new tanks for the start of the yr as someone stole mine last year, new fuel in both same result from both. Well 3 replies all say carbs so now its time to watch some utube videos on how to clean carbs. Thanks all!!

i got 2 new tanks for the start of the yr as someone stole mine last year, new fuel in both same result from both. Well 3 replies all say carbs so now its time to watch some utube videos on how to clean carbs. Thanks all!!

I have a 140 evinrude. Can you not just take the jets out . Mine come out and use a pin or air. Can usually see the plugged jet.

honestly i don't know, I hav'nt cleaned a carb in so freakin long I dont remember where to begin, I definatley have to brush up and do some reading or video watching.

3 cylinder engine and 3 carbs. very simple carbs....just take apart carefully and take note of where the parts go...easiest to keep top half parts together and bottom half together. Best to use a cleaner...brake cleaner will work and compressed air to blow all the small passages out. Take one apart at a time...you have 2 others to use for reference. You will have to get the 3 carbs re-synced...maybe there is youtube video on how to do that.

That is exactly what I did with my 70 evinrude and it is running like top , it had the exact same symptoms, you have something clogging a small jet somewhere in one of the three carbs.

Yep you have the three cylinder excellent motor.... My old boat had the 89 VRO Envinrude 60hp. Best motor ever had. Those power heads keep going and going... Could be clogged jet....But.....You never know I had an issue with my power pack a while ago and was doing weird stuff like that as well.

My opinion save your self some grief go to a good mechanic...The old motors some times are a little finicky... Carb tear down is not that easy...I have screwed it up and ended up having mechanic bail me out...

Another thing...did you pull your plugs out to look your not fouling them. Crappy oil can do that. I always use the envinrude oil with the old motor. Less smoke and it doesn't clog up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Lordco and got the Seloc manual for the Johnson/Evenrude motors and it is awesome for doing these kinds of jobs. If you are going to clean the carbs do yourself a favour and go get a rebuild kit for each carb from your local marine parts store. Super cheap (like $10-20 a carb?) and then when you assemble you know it is good to go.
My 1981 55hp Johnson was doing the same thing when I bought it and 2 carb kits later it runs like a champion.

ThreePer

Yep you have the three cylinder excellent motor.... My old boat had the 89 VRO Envinrude 60hp. Best motor ever had. Those power heads keep going and going... Could be clogged jet....But.....You never know I had an issue with my power pack a while ago and was doing weird stuff like that as well.

My opinion save your self some grief go to a good mechanic...The old motors some times are a little finicky... Carb tear down is not that easy...I have screwed it up and ended up having mechanic bail me out...

Another thing...did you pull your plugs out to look your not fouling them. Crappy oil can do that. I always use the envinrude oil with the old motor. Less smoke and it doesn't clog up...

ya I've been staring at it awhile now, cleaning the carbs isnt the hard part its getting them off, there's is lots attached to it. I'm trying to find someone who does side work on outboards but no luck yet. If anyone was knows anyone please let me know... thanks..

Back