17 hourston build year?

seabeyond

Screenshot_20210919-092924_Facebook.jpg
Going to look at this Hourston in an hour or two if the first guy hasn't nabbed it already. Anyone know how to identify year from hull number or otherwise?
Any other advice from Hourston owners would be appreciated. It's not my first boat however it would be my first Hourston.

Thanks in advance guys

I believe the last digits in the hull ID will be the year. It's a curved windshield so likely 02 / 03 or newer. Nice rig.

View attachment 70721
Going to look at this Hourston in an hour or two if the first guy hasn't nabbed it already. Anyone know how to identify year from hull number or otherwise?
Any other advice from Hourston owners would be appreciated. It's not my first boat however it would be my first Hourston.

Thanks in advance guys
Yes, the serial number is stamped on the outside of the hull on the transom. It will be there

I believe the last digits in the hull ID will be the year. It's a curved windshield so likely 02 / 03 or newer. Nice rig.
Thank you. The couple from the 200s I've seen all had the curved windshield. 2005 by the looks of it.

Anything to look for coming from a hourston owner?
I'll be looking at the transom and give it the tap test unfortunately my moisture meter is mia. Serves me right for being unorganized.
A new 90 rigged will be all of 14 so if it looks good I'll probably pick it up.

Anything to look for coming from a hourston owner?
I'll be looking at the transom and give it the tap test unfortunately my moisture meter is mia. Serves me right for being unorganized.
A new 90 rigged will be all of 14 so if it looks good I'll probably pick it up.

Quite a bit different than mine but tap around all through bolts and watch for tell tale rust streaks.

Agreed, it's a 2005. Should be well put together.

If there is going to be any rot it's going to be around any mounting hardware in the transom I would bet. Check around where the Transducer is mounted. And where else with a newer hull like that and you should be golden. Nice boat, my only worry would be trying to repair that curved windshield if something was to happen to it.

Well, went for a look. Seemed from afar like it was priced in 2019 dollars but in reality it's about right for 2021.

Hull was very rough for its age. Turns out it was a sewells rental boat. Makes perfect sense. Had been beaten badly as you would expect. Guy seemed nice but he wasn't telling the full story. Everyone's version of "good shape for the year is different.

Couple pics of it's obvious shortcomings for reference: transducer with three screw holes, 2 screws, and no sealant (there was lots of this type of deal to be found). Other pic is obvious repair below the waterline that is wet. Had some blistering that oozed nasty water at a touch.
Lots of heavy landing crunch cracks in the glass around the rub rails. Both transom corners had damage marks like they'd been hammered into a dock.

14k isn't a big ask so it's probably reasonable seeing as the 2020 motor and instal would run 15k if done tomorrow.
I can't own boats that look like that. Hurts my heart just looking at that hull.

Worthwhile to have a look. I'm use to some beam so the 78" beam was pretty skinny and good to see in person (I was a kid last time I stepped in the 17). I'll keep an eye for the other 17 hourston with the added 8 or so inches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210919-155542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-155542_Gallery.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20210919-155619_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-155619_Gallery.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20210919-155626_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919-155626_Gallery.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 85
Now the price make sense I thought it was too cheap. You can't get much right now in that range with motor that new. See if you can find a little bigger like an 18. Huge difference.

Now the price make sense I thought it was too cheap. You can't get much right now in that range with motor that new. See if you can find a little bigger like an 18. Huge difference.
Yes, I'll definitely keep an eye out.
Trying to tread the line between getting 2footitis and buying another charter boat sized rig for no reason. Would like to be able to power it properly with a 150 or less.

Back