12 foot Tinny Refit

I have now got finished new paint on the inside, foam replaced was all waterlogged, transom plate, wheel mounts and new seat tops. Next it will be out fitted seats, rod holders, down riggers and fish finder/GPS.

Attachments

• new seat tops 1.jpg
    new seat tops 1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 79
  • transom plate and wheel mounts.jpg
    transom plate and wheel mounts.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 81
  • new seat tops 2.jpg
    new seat tops 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 76
  • wet foam.jpg
    wet foam.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 85
I have now got finished new paint on the inside, foam replaced was all waterlogged, transom plate, wheel mounts and new seat tops. Next it will be out fitted seats, rod holders, down riggers and fish finder/GPS.
What type of paint did you use on the interior? I'd like to splash a new coat on my Lowe

What type of paint did you use on the interior? I'd like to splash a new coat on my Lowe
All I could get was tremclad flat grey primer. No flat grey paint any were to be found. Could have ordered some of a questable quality for 200$ a quart with so so reviews. It is was grey so scratches should not show to bad and will be cheap to clean up with a quick spray. The out side is all top quality, International 2 part 300 primer and International 2 part Interthane 9-90 top coat. Seat tops are Cloverdale marine enamal.

The boat has now been fully out fitted, 9.9 hp out board, electric out board, seats, down riggers, rod holders etc. Check out the photos.

Attachments

• out fitted 1.jpg
    out fitted 1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 84
  • out fitted 2.jpg
    out fitted 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 86
  • out fitted 3.jpg
    out fitted 3.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 79
  • out fitted 4.jpg
    out fitted 4.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 81
  • out fitted 5.jpg
    out fitted 5.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 80
  • out fitted 6.jpg
    out fitted 6.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 88
The biggest thing with 12 foot tinny's is weight distribution...especially if you are alone. Sitting in the back by the outboard tiller sucks...the boat rides like crap and is actually unsafe in rougher water in my opinion. I'm rigging up a 12ft Thornes right now which is the same boat I used off Gordon's Beach in Sooke some 45 years ago. Power is a 1969 9'5 Johnson...obviously 2 stroke. We sat in the middle seat facing the stern with an extension handle to the outboards throttle. This keeps the boat level at all times, no porpoising and very responsive and predictable in rougher water. We would simply turn ourselves to the side when running at speed and look forward...while fishing we would face the stern and turn to look ahead as needed. This is in my opinion is the most important factor in setting up a small tinny to both fish and ride well.

The biggest thing with 12 foot tinny's is weight distribution...especially if you are alone. Sitting in the back by the outboard tiller sucks...the boat rides like crap and is actually unsafe in rougher water in my opinion. I'm rigging up a 12ft Thornes right now which is the same boat I used off Gordon's Beach in Sooke some 45 years ago. Power is a 1969 9'5 Johnson...obviously 2 stroke. We sat in the middle seat facing the stern with an extension handle to the outboards throttle. This keeps the boat level at all times, no porpoising and very responsive and predictable in rougher water. We would simply turn ourselves to the side when running at speed and look forward...while fishing we would face the stern and turn to look ahead as needed. This is in my opinion is the most important factor in setting up a small tinny to both fish and ride well.
or he could throw two cannons in the front or a spare gas tank and problem solved. this is how i started fishing from ken forde’s boat launch in the early eighties, and with our new ridiculous restrictions it’s getting harder and harder justifying having a $35 k boat sitting in my driveway for nine months out of the year. we used to slay with a 14’lund and a 9.9 Johnny. herring strip teaser head, six ounces of lead and 25 pulls. get some good batteries and choose your weather. launch anytime. i dunno. sounds alright

Last edited:
That looks like a great job!

I had a 14' Lund that I inherited from my dad ~30 years ago. It was a great boat - easy to launch anywhere and as long as you watched your day, could be used anywhere I use my current 21' Campion and was much easier to launch single handed. I took it everywhere on both sides of the island as well as up to the interior & arctic fishing, used it to beach camp with the kids up and down the coast and on inland lakes. It towed as though it wasn't there and ran pretty much a full day on a single tank of fuel. After moving to Vancouver Island, I added console steering to it as well as a 30 4 stroke and that made it much easier to use on bigger water. With 2 downriggers (manual then electric once I started fishing salt on a regular basis) and a chartplotter/GPS, it made a really flexible fishing and exploring platform.

Like others have said, it was easy to decide on the spot to use, unlike its replacement that cost a lot to put in a slip for the summer or since I gave up the slip a few years ago so I would use it more places, now sits unused in the driveway about 350 days a year.......

Just because, a couple of shots from using it on a beach camping trip with my son (this was a west coast trip we did from Port Alberni up to Esperanza Inlet). While we are both a lot older now, I/we still camp occassionally with the bigger boat - but it is a much different experience and I wouldn't dare try to overnight many places we used to camp :)
1654705150368.png1654705380004.png

or he could throw two cannons in the front or a spare gas tank and problem solved. this is how i started fishing from ken forde’s boat launch in the early eighties, and with our new ridiculous restrictions it’s getting harder and harder justifying having a $35 k boat sitting in my driveway for nine months out of the year. we used to slay with a 14’lund and a 9.9 Johnny. herring strip teaser head, six ounces of lead and 25 pulls. get some good batteries and choose your weather. launch anytime. i dunno. sounds alright
I'm not to worried about balance, the WC boats are deep, heavy (12 foot is 208 lbs) and wide (61 inches). I looked far and wide for this model for just this reason. Here is a picture of one running at speed with one person from the internet, I will be heading up to Horn Lake this weekend camping and will be taking it for its first run. As well this boat is just for the lakes when we are camping, fishing in the ocean I run my 17 foot Arima another deep wide stable boat.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 19
I'll say it again..in rough water you'll be far more stable and keep the bow down especially in gusty winds. I've spent thousands of hours in small beach launched boats at Otter Point. We would almost always be the last boats to leave when the afternoon westerlies kicked up. Back in the day we all fished sitting in the middle seat facing the stern with a throttle handle extension to steer and work the throttle. If you took out the exact same boat you have now that was set up properly to sit in the middle seat and took it out in some decent waves and wind...you wouldn't do it any other way. That picture above is flat water no wind...do that in 3 foot plus with 20 mph plus gusts and you will be crawling along, bow out of the water and the wind blowing you off course. Some will say why would you be out in those conditions....in JDF it blows a lot in the afternoons and you have to put up with it or miss out on the good afternoon flood tide fishing. From necessity comes solutions...the middle seat works.

Understand what you are saying Profisher, have had to the odd time in my Lowe 12 foot tinny use the tiller extender and sit forward on a tackle box to go in. Not planing any ocean fishing with this little boat have a nice Arima for the big water and she looks after the chop and wind a champ. Thanks for your information and would realy like to see pics of your retro 12 foot tinny.

Back