12 foot Tinny Refit

Tom Mac

I have been fishing the inter of BC for a number of years for rainbow, lake trout and kokanee and now have it some what figured out. We started out years ago towing a tent trailer and I would put a 10 foot jon boat on racks on top of it, and had a 3 hp Yamaha for it. 4 years ago we up graded truck and trailer and boat. A 12 Lowe with a nice 6 hp a big improvement. Last year I picked up a boat loader to help with loading, I have noticed the older I get the more decrepit I get, and loading by hand is getting harder. But after fitting the Lowe with down riggers a new 6 hp seats and a fish finder, the wife would like to go out on the lake and go for a cruze and explore the lake. Well the boat was a dog and travel slow with two people, it would take for ever to go anywere. So I started looking for a 9.9, well I found one and mounted it on the Lowe and headed out to start the break in on the new motor, well it was not the boat I thought it would be, yes it was fast (scary fast) but a modern 4 stroke is heavy not like the 2 stroke the boat was designed for and the transom sat low in the water making me feel a little uncomfortable. Well time for the bigger 12 foot tinny, so after months of searching I found a WC 12 Lund, not perfect but a solid straight hull in need of a bit of a refit. Now the fun begins, it will be getting a few items refit and then fit out with the gear from the Lowe.

Attachments

• WC 12 1.jpg
    WC 12 1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 116
Hey I recognize that boat! Have fun with it bud. I’ll be looking forward seeing the work you do to it.

Now stripped, of hard ware and seat tops. Think I might have to replace the foam, is wet and drippy when you squeeze a hand full. I
have the boat upside down now, but this stuff is the two part foam and I dont think its going to dry out. Have the new ply for the seat tops will be cutting them out next and painting with primer and marine enamal.

Attachments

• WC 12.jpg
    WC 12.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 96
  • WC 12 2.jpg
    WC 12 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 92
Tinboat, where do you have your down riggers on your WC, the back of the 12 and 14 are the same. I have a plan but open to better ideas. I'm only going to be running manuals from my old tinny.

I'm thinking close to the same on the port as you have with the same mount. Stbd side think I'm going to build a custom bracket off the Fwd side of the seat box.

I'm thinking close to the same on the port as you have with the same mount. Stbd side think I'm going to build a custom bracket off the Fwd side of the seat box.
Are you in Victoria? I do not use the aluminum mounts. Yours if you need them.

Are you in Victoria? I do not use the aluminum mounts. Yours if you need them.
Thanks for the offer but I dont think they will work for me. I have to keep the gunnels clear for my over the truck box boat loader.

Lots of work done over the last week or so. New seat tops cut sanded and in primer, all stickers removed from the sides and new ones ordered as well mounting brackets fabed for removable transom wheels for launching when I'm using my boat loader.

Attachments

• WC 12 4.jpg
    WC 12 4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 72
  • WC 12 7.jpg
    WC 12 7.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 72
  • WC 12 5.jpg
    WC 12 5.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 73
This boat will be used mostly in the Caribou for Rainbow, trolled this one up last year with a Fishinator plug, 5 1/2 pounds they get them up to 12.

Attachments

• Sheridan Lake .jpg
    Sheridan Lake .jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 94
Hull now fully cleaned up, the red sanded and primed. Sticker kit showed up.

Attachments

• In primer 1.jpg
    In primer 1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 91
  • In primer 2.jpg
    In primer 2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 91
  • sticker kit.jpg
    sticker kit.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 89
I have been fishing the inter of BC for a number of years for rainbow, lake trout and kokanee and now have it some what figured out. We started out years ago towing a tent trailer and I would put a 10 foot jon boat on racks on top of it, and had a 3 hp Yamaha for it. 4 years ago we up graded truck and trailer and boat. A 12 Lowe with a nice 6 hp a big improvement. Last year I picked up a boat loader to help with loading, I have noticed the older I get the more decrepit I get, and loading by hand is getting harder. But after fitting the Lowe with down riggers a new 6 hp seats and a fish finder, the wife would like to go out on the lake and go for a cruze and explore the lake. Well the boat was a dog and travel slow with two people, it would take for ever to go anywere. So I started looking for a 9.9, well I found one and mounted it on the Lowe and headed out to start the break in on the new motor, well it was not the boat I thought it would be, yes it was fast (scary fast) but a modern 4 stroke is heavy not like the 2 stroke the boat was designed for and the transom sat low in the water making me feel a little uncomfortable. Well time for the bigger 12 foot tinny, so after months of searching I found a WC 12 Lund, not perfect but a solid straight hull in need of a bit of a refit. Now the fun begins, it will be getting a few items refit and then fit out with the gear from the Lowe.
How fast did your 12ft go with 6 horses. I've got a 12ft harbercraft I got last November with a 4.5 hp (5hp) 2 stroke. Have yet to take her out.

How fast did your 12ft go with 6 horses. I've got a 12ft harbercraft I got last November with a 4.5 hp (5hp) 2 stroke. Have yet to take her out.
Well the Lowe with the 6 hp would get up on a plane with one person and run at about 18 - 19 MPH if the lake was flat, if there was a chop and a bit of a blow a lot slower. With two people would not get on a plane 10 MPH would be about max.

Now back to red, will let the paint cure for a few days before I ad the new sticker kit. Will get it right side up now and start on the inside, lots to do there.

Attachments

• painted red 1.jpg
    painted red 1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 50
  • painted red 2.jpg
    painted red 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 48
have been working 7 days a week for the last 3 weeks, had the day off to day and got to move forward a bit. started painting the inside and installed the the new sticker kit, pin stripe, loggo and model sticker.

Attachments

• with sticker kit.jpg
    with sticker kit.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 76
Back