10'6 Custom Mooching Rod

kimbyote

CAM01765.jpgCAM01768.jpgCAM01764.jpg

I am a Custom Rod Builder and am considering creating a series Rod that I am considering producing in limited numbers. What will make this unique, I want to donate $20 for every series rod sold to the hatchery of the purchaser's choice. After all, if it weren't for the hatcheries, we wouldn't have a sport fishery.

Anyways, I currently have the following Rod that I have available for sale:

$280 (Includes Hatchery Donation)
10'6" Blank
2pc
Mod Action
XH Power
Line Wt 15-30
Lure Wt 1-6 oz

Rear Grip: 10" Black Twilled Carbon Fiber
Fore Grip: 9" Black and Blue Corded Wrap

Rod Blank comes with a Limited Life Time Warranty and I offer a 3 year labour coverage on any warranty repair.

PM Me for inquiries.

Last edited by a moderator:
CAM01770.jpg

Thanks Fish Stalker. I really enjoy building Rods, so I decided that I try to give back and say thanks to the hatcheries by building a rod that would benefit them and at the same time, competitive to a prefab rod. Anyways, here's another pic of what it looks like end to end. I also offer the same rod in a 9'0 version

Beautiful! I love the idea. Any grip options? shorter but and longer foregrip maybe?

Great looking work!

Absolutely, everything on the rod is all hand made, so pretty much I am limited to the customer's imagination. I offer Grips made out of cork, EVA,Wood, woven Carbon, cord, Snake Skin, and pretty much anything you can slap on a lathe. I just personally recommend for a boat rod,a woven carbon rear grip, as it slips in and out of a scotty very nicely. I also recommend Cord as the foregrip, it vastly improves the sensitivity, and no matter what you slap on it, You'll never worry about a slippery grip. Plus it's durable and super easy to clean. But the length of the grip can be made to any size... but obviously within reason. I just made these grips based on averages, observations and preferences. But also have to consider, this rod is priced at a very tight margin with very little wiggle room, as I am charging considerably less then what I normally do. I just thought I'd under charge these rods, so that more people would be able to afford them, hence money being put back into the hatcheries. But depending on the request, the price may change. But changing the length of the grips won't have any impact on the price. I also offer a 7' hali rod for $380, which I also will donate $20 to a hatchery of the purchaser's choice.

I have never seen corded fore grip like this before.
First thing that comes to mind is that it would be a collector of fish slime, blood and scales.
Has that been a problem for you ?

Salmonslayer17 - 9'0 version is $270. Colour scheme doesn't impact the price. Only the blank size and if you choose to upgrade the guides and such.

r.s. craven - Haven't had a problem as you can easily wash it off as the cord is made out of Nylon. But if you're like me and at times get stuck in the moment, I tend to grab the rod without thinking to wash my hands first, but the fish slim won't make the grip slippery. But as long as you give it a good rinse if by accident you get something nasty on there , it shouldn't be a problem to wash off. But also having a corded foregrip makes it super easy to replace. it doesn't require a builder to rip off all the guides or cut the handle in half and glue it back together.

Sorry, the grey and black one was built for someone else. But I can have one ready for you in two weeks as I am waiting on a shipment to arrive. If you're still interested, I'll pm you the details to proceed with the build.

Just thought I'd clarify that the x-hvy power is all in the butt of the rod. The top is actually super whippy and very sensitive. One comment I got about these rods from a customer, was that it was able to indicate the smallest hits from shakers, where his current rods weren't able to do. But had tons of power in the butt of the rod. I do have a demo rod available for anyone to try, that is interested in purchasing one of these.

very nice rods, what make are the blanks? maybe i missed it but went back and reread but can't see it, lol. I am quite interested in buying 2 of them, a his and hers.

cheers nicnat

The Blanks are MHX... Probably not a brand you'll hear too often.. Simply because these brand blanks are only available to Rod Builders. They don't sell factory finished Rods. But you're correct that I didn't mention it. But my reasoning is that I wanted to get ppl to try it out first before assuming that because it isn't a titan,sage or gloomis, they won't perform as well, which is far from the truth. MHX started up because these bigger guys either stopped or won't give us builders blanks to build off. Some of the reasoning being that some were bought out by bigger guys (Shimano buying gloomis) and some just simply stopped. So MHX started to build blanks that substituted or improved on these original design.

eg. The downrigger blank I use was designed to replace the sage 3113. But they increased the power a notch in the butt of the rod, which I believe is an improvement, just in case you ever hooked into a big one. You'll feel more comfortable knowing that you have a rod built to handle it. Also MHX blanks is backed with a life time warranty on all their blanks.

Also, thought I'd mention that these rods can be built for either a mooching or conventional setup.

Anyways, hope that answers your question. sorry for the long winded one

Nice looking rods!
Just wondering you said these were same as the 3113s from sage, did you cut them down to 10'6" or thats the length you get them?

Thanks.

They were design to be similar to the sage 3113. But they designed in 9' and 10'6 as that seems to be the go to sizes for these types of rods nowadays.

My Apologies, I have provided the incorrect information. The mooching rod is of fiberglass construction (X-Glass) and Sage gear blanks were all intermediate modulus graphite. The rod is more similar (quite, in fact) to the Lamiglas BSH1265F. But MHX does offer a close equivalent but has more power in the butt (and a larger butt OD, i.e. a different taper). The blank that I use a downrigger specific with a full-flex traditional action. The length was chosen as it is the 'BC standard' for down-rigger rods

One Again I apologize for the confusion.

Ok thx, I asked because I like the extra length for a moocher.
All my boat rods are glass anyways, the high modulus graphite dosent seem to be able to hang with the fibreglass for durability in boat rods and graphite dosent have the classic slow action our mooching rods need either.

Yeah, I've made the fatal mistake of grabbing the wrong info from the web. But regardless, these are fun blanks that can take a beating.

Back