7'0" Custom Hali/Tuna Rod

kimbyote

I am a Custom Rod Builder and with the success of my hatchery rod, I've decided to build a hali Rod. The rod blank I decided to go with has a twilled woven carbon fibre finish. This is super light and the standard guide setup is a spiral/Acid

The rod is built and intended for Halibut, tuna and Grouper.
CAM01897_20130917195155588.jpgCAM01881_20130917200603342.jpgCAM01889_20130917200747414.jpgCAM01893_20130917195836093.jpg
$370 for the 6'6 or $380 for the 7'0
1pc
Mod-Fast Action
6'6 is a Hvy action and 7'0" is a med-hvy Power
Line Wt 20-60

Rear Grip: 10" Black Or Emerald Green Twilled Carbon Fibre or Nylon Tube with a 2" Balled Aluminium Gimbal

Fore Grip: 11" Corded Wrap (Various Colour Schemes available)

Rod Blank comes with a Limited Life Time Warranty and I offer a 3 year labour coverage on any warranty repair.

PM Me for inquiries.

What is the benefit of having the eyes go around the rod like that?

Awesome looking rod.

Thanks.

A spiral wrap eliminates Rod Torque. To better explain, ever notice when fighting a fish, your rod will try to lean right or left? That's because the line is being pulled down through the guides which are on top, So your rod tries to flip down because the line is pulling it in that direction.

So putting them on the bottom, you never have to battle the rod and fish. So essentially, you won't be as exhausted fighting a fish, because you are no longer wasting your energy trying to keep your reel from torquing. Hope that explains it.

I'll be using this rod at the shootout if anyone wants a peek.

Was an absolute pleasure building this for you. Tight Lines and best of luck at the shoot out!

Oh and thanks for the Wenga... It will definitely be put to good use.

Also you mentioned that you would like to see some of my other work, so I added an album to my profile. I also created a facebook page which I'll start posting all my rod builds while I work on getting my website up and running.

Here's my FB Link

http://www.facebook.com/customizedfishingtackle

Gotcha - great answer.

I know exactly what your talking about my shimano TLD 20 is always trying to flip itself over I blamed the reel but it makes sense that its actually the way the guides are running along the top of the rod. Lighter outfits don't seem to have the same problem or at least it's not as noticeable. I imagine an un balanced reel like the TLD 20 amplifies the problem.

GDW- you're correct. The Reel will absolutely add to the problem as the rod already wants to torque. And the bigger the fish, the increased pressure to torque. So if your reel is unbalanced, it just simply adds to the problem. But with a spiral wrapped rod, you won't have any torque regardless if you're using an unbalanced reel.

Nice looking rod,kimbyote. Seen those acid wraps before when I was researching hali rods on line.I use 6" Peetz reels
right now,so torque is not an issue,but plan on upgrading to Avet's with left hand retrieves. With that retrieve,I
would need the eyes to wrap to the right to negate the torque and balance the rod and reel properly,which I'm sure
you would be able to do for me. Pm me with your contact info,and when I'm ready to do the reel upgrade,I'll give you
a call.Your the first person I know of that offers this option. Thanks!

Nice looking rod,kimbyote. Seen those acid wraps before when I was researching hali rods on line.I use 6" Peetz reels
right now,so torque is not an issue,but plan on upgrading to Avet's with left hand retrieves. With that retrieve,I
would need the eyes to wrap to the right to negate the torque and balance the rod and reel properly,which I'm sure
you would be able to do for me. Pm me with your contact info,and when I'm ready to do the reel upgrade,I'll give you
a call.Your the first person I know of that offers this option. Thanks!

PM Sent

But it really isn't much work to offer this and is a no brainer in my eyes.

I like the spiral wrap rods. I have a pair of 10'6s by Sirius with that setup, got em at Wholsale Sports. That custom rig in this thread is a very beautiful thing.

Kimbyote

Nice looking rod, especially the cord wrap!

Same question as was raised with your mooching rod...what make of blank are you using for the Hali rod?

I like a bit of a softer tip for halibut as long as the backbone is still beefy enough.

Can you describe the blank and action a bit more.

Thanks.

It's a MHX Blank. They recently release their salt water series and they are great. They are one of the thinnest, lightest and durable blanks that I've personally seen or handled. They are powerful, but definitely not a stick and have a very good bend to them. Andy from RBS (Rod Building Supplies) helped prototype these blanks as he is a distributor of MHX, so they were built to handle hali on the island. But if your looking for a soft tip with a lot of backbone, these blanks are definitely up your alley.

But I'll need to get back to you on if there's any other blank that maybe similar to it. I'll talk to Andy and ask him to provide me with some more info.

It's funny that you ask this question, because I was checking out some shops on friday, and I couldn't find any other rod that was as thin, light or soft tip as these MHX blanks.

Back