WTB: Used 150 hp outboard (25" shaft)

MiddlepointBight

Helping some family members look for a used 150hp outboard motor. Some flexibility with specs...

- 25" shaft
- 4 stroke preferred, but excellent condition 2 strokes considered
- with our without controls
- no evinrudes
- yamaha, merc, honda, suzuki OK
- moderate hours
- price range 5000-8000 CAD

Thanks!

Helping some family members look for a used 150hp outboard motor. Some flexibility with specs...

- 25" shaft
- 4 stroke preferred, but excellent condition 2 strokes considered
- with our without controls
- no evinrudes
- yamaha, merc, honda, suzuki OK
- moderate hours
- price range 5000-8000 CAD

Thanks!
Why no evinrudes out of interest? I saw a reasonably priced 175 evinrude recently and has half interested. I'll keep my eyes open for you. What years and what is moderate hours?

Why no evinrudes out of interest? I saw a reasonably priced 175 evinrude recently and has half interested. I'll keep my eyes open for you. What years and what is moderate hours?

nothing against evinrudes, but with their bankruptcy, parts are going to become harder and harder to find in the coming years, and probably more pricey

something 2005 or newer preferred...

as for hours, depends a bit on the engine, but hoping for something in and around the 1000h mark or lower

thanks!

While respecting your friends' POV on Evinrude, this is a public forum so here are some thoughts for other readers to consider.

* BRP are still in business making other motor recreational products. They haven't gone bankrupt like OMC did in 2000.
* BRP have pledged to honor warranty, and dealers are reporting their parts and labour claims are being paid as before.
* there are hundreds of thousands of Etec motors out there worldwide. BRP and its parts suppliers are still in business making and selling parts to this ready-made market.
* the Evinrude website has folders listing parts for motors dating back to 1968 - they are supporting products made by a company that hasn't existed for 20 years.
* not a perfect analogy, but similar: the last Pontiacs rolled off the line in 2010, but parts and support remain in place. We still get occasional safety recall notices about our 2009 and service is readily available.

While respecting your friends' POV on Evinrude, this is a public forum so here are some thoughts for other readers to consider.

* BRP are still in business making other motor recreational products. They haven't gone bankrupt like OMC did in 2000.
* BRP have pledged to honor warranty, and dealers are reporting their parts and labour claims are being paid as before.
* there are hundreds of thousands of Etec motors out there worldwide. BRP and its parts suppliers are still in business making and selling parts to this ready-made market.
* the Evinrude website has folders listing parts for motors dating back to 1968 - they are supporting products made by a company that hasn't existed for 20 years.
* not a perfect analogy, but similar: the last Pontiacs rolled off the line in 2010, but parts and support remain in place. We still get occasional safety recall notices about our 2009 and service is readily available.

totally valid points! as i said, nothing against the motor, they are still great options for a lot of folks.

this is just a personal preference based on ease of access to parts on the Sunshine Coast, now and in the future (Mercers at Buccaneer Marina are an authorized merc dealer and maintenance shop and my mechanic of 20+ years has great connections at GA for yams).. same mechanic has cautioned me about evinrudes separate to my own opinion, take it or leave it! to each their own.

i am also biased in the fact that i have only ever owned mercs and yammys, all of which have been bulletproof.

-mpb

I have a gigantic selection of used outboards. PM me for additional information. Cheers

totally valid points! as i said, nothing against the motor, they are still great options for a lot of folks.

this is just a personal preference based on ease of access to parts on the Sunshine Coast, now and in the future (Mercers at Buccaneer Marina are an authorized merc dealer and maintenance shop and my mechanic of 20+ years has great connections at GA for yams).. same mechanic has cautioned me about evinrudes separate to my own opinion, take it or leave it! to each their own.

i am also biased in the fact that i have only ever owned mercs and yammys, all of which have been bulletproof.

-mpb
Yeah I know I'll get some **** from the Mercer boys next spring when I show up there with an Evinrude hanging off my transom, lol. As long as they'll sell me gas, propane and live herring we're sweet.

Yeah I know I'll get some **** from the Mercer boys next spring when I show up there with an Evinrude hanging off my transom, lol. As long as they'll sell me gas, propane and live herring we're sweet.

hahah.. yep sounds about right ;) classic!
pretty great to still be able to grab a couple dozen livies every so often.

FYI BRP is still manufacturing parts, and we have a huge used parts department for Evinrude outboards. Hope this helps
For now.... just like I tell my sledding buddies.... you wanna put your life in the hands of a Frenchman, that’s your thing, you know they want to separate.... haha, these ones going to the West Coast, haha, we set the torque wrench back a little.. haha... they be off shore tuna hunting and boom! Hahaha

American made parts
Haha! Designed by....... wait for it...... Bombardier in Valcourt Quebec. Don’t worry we will give them loans to help continue making parts for motors that the bean counters decided to stop making.... wonder why
I guess if I had a ton of used parts, new parts and new motors I would be up selling a discontinued brand of motors as well.

If they are still making parts why aren't they making motors?
Ohh boy. This is a long conversation that I think needs it's own thread. Honestly I'm tired of talking about it. Just so you guys know I've been and evinrude mechanic for a very long time.

BRP is a huge corp. Evinrude is a corp under the umbrella. And is still located in the states. OMC designed and patented outboard designs and engineering for over 100 years. The corp big shots at BRP made a decision. Based on things that the consumer will never understand. It's all about the bottom line. Theres no money in outboards. Thats the bottom line.

The G1 Etec was the pinnacle of 100 years of outboard engineering. It also braught seadoo and skidoo their etec engines. This technology was fine tuned under the umbrella of BRP but OMC and the people from evrinude created this with the ficht engines. Just like they created the clutch dog, the v block 2 stroke, the loop charged 2stroke, the 3 piston power trim unit, list goes on and on. Yamaha stole a bunch of that and lost lawsuits for that a long time ago. Like I said though, this is a huge topic and at the end of the day whatever gets you out there.

Okay sure, start a new thread. Bottom line, and no argument, is they are no longer producing motors. The OG poster stated a few time’s, very politely that he did not want one and you continued to push them. If they were so awesome they would still be producing them.
I will wait to discuss this in your new thread..... But I will add, I will also never buy a boat with an OMC, no matter how many patents and lawsuits they have won. You

Man talk about a thread derailment. A classic Arctic Cat guy going up against an ex-Evinrude dealer who I assume is Lordship Marine. I've talked to many people with Evinrudes and they all love their motors. Light weight and tons of torque. I know merc mechanics that wouldn't hang one on their own boat. Everyone is die-hard on whichever brand they have had good success with.

Didn't Merc buy the evinrude information so you'll probably be able to get parts for either brand on the sunshine coast?

Not that much of a derailment, one fellow asks about a motor, another suggests BRP, OG says no thanks, but BRP keeps being pushed.
and I am bored at work and love some healthy banter.

Maybe one day when I'm real bored I'll start a new thread on the history of outboards. I'm honestly burnt out on the subject.

Merc did not buy anything. BRP still has ownership of all the patents. And the ETEC technology is still being used in the skidoo and seadoo. BRP has a couple boat building plants. They needed power for their boats. So they are using mercury engines for their boats. That's the skinny.

Back