winter freshwater fishing

I

Iceberg

I spent the whole summer bass fishing, and that just isnt happeneing anymore. Whats my best bet for hooking into any type of fish over the winter months? Appreciate the tips!!

During the winter months I like to fish the local lakes from shore using floating power bait off the bottom. The normal catch would be Rainbows. Just throw it in and let the hook float about 3 to 6 feet off the bottom.... pour yourself a nice hot coffee.... sit in a lawn chair and wait till they bite. Its a very relaxing way to fish. I find that trout caught in the winter taste better then summer caught fish. Hope this helps.

caught a couple nice 15 -16 inchers today on that set up at a local lake . 1/2 hr fishing

cold cold

email me

Went out to Cameron Lake and with a bobber, power bait, lawn chair, hot coffee - caught 3 rainbows of eating size in 1 hour. Relaxing, warm in the sun, and the fish were a bonus.

We used the black ones on that sunny day - on a cloudy day I would switch to the natural brown.

My favorite color power bait is orange, sometimes red. Last year I did really good using one orange one white then one orange on the hook. I also like to add a bit of liquid scent to the bait.

Back from another fine afternoon at Cameron Lake - limited out on Rainbows in two hours of relaxing on shore, hot coffee in hand, and a good cigar. This time they were biting on blood red ones. Tried black - no go, tried brown and only had one nibble - but switched to red and HOLY COW! The four were caught in less than one hour, one after another. Had two for supper tonight - doesn't get any better than that.

Nice, that sounds like a great day. Where on Cameron Lake are you fishing?? I have only ever driven by, but it sure is a nice lake!! Going off the bottom or with a float?

I caught a Cutthroat in Cameron years ago that had bait fish in it that was almost as big as the cutthroat. [:0] It was heavily digested, not much left, I couldn't tell what it was but definitely not a Stickleback. Way too big for that. :D I'd like to have another go at that place and likely will in the near future.

My old man used to fish it occasionally in the 1950's from shore. He had some cool stories but as per usual, it's not what it used to be "back in the day."

Fished from the picnic site from shore with a bobber - bait about 6 feet below the bobber. But - be watchful - they only nibble so you have to really watch your bobber to nail them. They do NOT hammer the bait! So a little finnese is what you need. We finished fishing for a while - until the wives get over this Christmas stuff - then it's back to lazy fishing for the winter. Come spring we will go back to Horne and Spider and maybe Loon.

Meantime - have fun at Cameron. Tried bottom fishing but nada.

Back