Who to donate money to - SFI or PSF??

Osama Bin Hopper

Trying to make some decisions regarding derby proceeds.

Without this turning into a shitshow, if I could get a bit of input into which org and why from those familiar...

Thanks!

Jeff

Why not donate to one of the local volunteer enhancement or stream keeping projects. There a little bit of money could make a huge difference.

Lest we forget the the SFI and BCWF, who joined forces and nearly broke the bank to fight for us all during the Malcolm trial. Both of these groups have been at the forefront of the allocation debate right from the start. Their work in halibut will also help with Tuna, considering DFO has been tossing around the idea of ITQ's for that fishery next. Thank you to all those guys, I only wish I had more to give.

It's always a tough call on where to donate but good on you and anyone else who is able to for doing so. From what I know about the PSF they have a very high leverage ratio (8:1 or 10:1) in terms of turning each dollar they put towards projects (stream re-hab, hatcheries, etc) and the value that comes out of it. They work with a lot of local volunteers all over BC and basically only pay for the hard costs (building materials, etc) and the labour part and local sponsors to cover the rest. I'm not sure how this compares to other orgs but I know they have way more requests for projects than $ they have to get them off the ground so they could always use the money. I always like the idea of a dollar donated turning into $8-10 worth of restoration/streamkeeping work so PSF seems like as good a cause as any. I know one of the volunteers with them so I'll get more info next time I see him.

I like the idea of a single hatchery, a nice sized donation can really make a difference with a project. If you send it out to big a group like SFI not so much.

If you want to really help all the recreational community in a battle that has only, I think, just started, please consider what Cuba Libra suggested, and put the money down to help the fees for the court battle with the Malcolm case. Both SFI and BCWF have a special account and you can specify that the money go only to the costs of the court case ( high) which is all about our right to receive quota from the Minister without compensating the commercial fleet who do not own the fish. I put my own money into it as soon as the BCWF account was opened. When recreational anglers begin to act as the large group they really are, and when they all put some money behind it, we send a bigger message out there than just the money, in my opinion.

If you want to really help all the recreational community in a battle that has only, I think, just started, please consider what Cuba Libra suggested, and put the money down to help the fees for the court battle with the Malcolm case. ... When recreational anglers begin to act as the large group they really are, and when they all put some money behind it, we send a bigger message out there than just the money, in my opinion.

X2 - rec. anglers putting their $$$ where their mouths are. Well said!

I like that you can specifically donate $ to the halibut case at BCWF. That makes it a very worthy charity too in my opinion.

thank you guys for pointing that out to me/us, i now know where i will be putting sum donations.

I like to check what % of funds goes to overheads, ie. salaries etc before donating.

That said, local hatchery or SFI-BCWF would both put your funds to good useage.

I like that you can specifically donate $ to the halibut case at BCWF. That makes it a very worthy charity too in my opinion.

this has had my donation and support, some tuna funds to help out with the halibut case is not a bad idea also,

For sure some funds should be kept local. All the people that support the Tuna shoot out from behind the scenes would appreciate seeing something put back into the community. BCWF speaks on behalf of every sportman in this province and deserve credit.

Just an idea. Let the paying derby attendee's decide where they would like to see the donation go. Give them 2 or 3 options, at the end of the derby, determine what % voted for each option, and donate funds to each option based on %.

If I was attending, I'd choose local hatchery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back