What's for dinner tonight ?

Fresh smoked ham, yams cooked along side it in the clay baker, and Foxey's Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Maple Bacon:

xyosiAd.jpg

Hungey.jpg

Nog

Looks great man.

As much as I detest Brussel Sprouts those sound and look almost edible lol.

Had some left over ham, so topped that up with a smoked ham hock:

Yg3jcR7.jpg

Into the Big Pot along with both yellow & green split peas, onions, carrots, garlic, chicken broth and bay leaves:

RwRuAry.jpg

Simmered for a couple hours until all the meat fell right off the bone:

fYSbZn5.jpg

Accompany with cheesy garlic toast and a good red:

UcIaxC5.jpg

No better "comfort food" on a cool, blustery and rainy day!

Cheers,
Nog

Got a hold of some Lobster Mushrooms the other day..first time giving them a try .Have to say pretty good a a fairly meatie mushroom with good flavor :)
View attachment 58111
View attachment 58112
View attachment 58113 View attachment 58114

Nice mushroom! I pick and eat a lot of wild mushrooms :)

This one is one of my favorites. The Amanita Muscaria. It has medicinal, culinary, and psychoactive properties :) Don't believe what you read... It's not "toxic" It just has to be prepared a certain way to convert the Ibotenic Acid to Muscimol.

20201031_182121.jpg

20201101_173822.jpg

Can you elaborate please

Ibotenic acid isn't good for us. The muscimol is what people are after from this mushroom for psychoactive and medicinal properties etc. In low doses it will give very deep sleep, up the dose a bit and you get very lucid incredible dreams with a mix of a drunk feeling before falling asleep. Up the dose some more and you get hallucinations coming with the other intoxicating affects. Personally I eat them for culinary value and for helping with amazing sleep. I am overactive when it comes to always needing things to do, have OCD, etc and often nights I don't sleep much cause my mind is always working and I get too involved with trying to figure out how things occur in science, nature etc. so for me I drink some amanita tea about an hour and half before going to bed and I sleep amazing. If I don't have anything going on the next day and want a bit more fun then I up the dose to get the intoxicating affects and the very incredible lucid dreams. I have hallucinated too but that's when you really want to go to that level cause it can be pretty heavy. And it's a deep psychoactive that makes your mind go places it normally doesn't go when dreaming. I literally have to write some of the stuff down after the long amazing dreams cause some of the stuff is just incredible.

If the Ibotenic acid is not converted to muscimol then people will get upset stomach and nausea. To convert all the Ibotenic acid to Muscimol you need to decarboxilate. Just like how marijuana is decarboxilated before the affects of it can be used up in our bodies. To decarboxilate Amanita mushrooms you can do it a couple ways; first way is drying in oven or any other way you can get the temps right at 80 to 90 degrees C until the mushrooms are "cracker dry". Too little heat or too much heat will both not convert all the IA, and kill the existing Muscimol. But there is some science out there that says this will not get rid of 100% of the Ibotenic Acid and that this process is the only way to get 100% of the IA converted to Muscimol: After drying the mushrooms (a simple lower temp dehydrator is fine for this cause the decarb process is done after in the tea making) the dried mushrooms are put in water with enough lemon juice to lower the PH level to between 2.6 to 2.9 PH and simmered for 3 hrs. A PH pen or PH strips are needed to accurately determine the PH level of the tea as you lower it with the lemon juice. The mushrooms are then strained/filtered and the tea is kept for medicinal purposes. If you want you can still keep those mushrooms and can them after the tea is made for used for cooking.
For culinary usage it's best to use after drying at the 80 to 90 degree Celsius so that the Ibotenic Acid (or most of it) is gone. The dried mushrooms can be re hydrated for use in cooking as well.
There's also a way to use them in cooking and to get rid of the ibotenic and muscimol so you are left with just edible regular mushrooms by boiling them in water, tossing away that liquid, then boiling them one more time (can be quick) and tossing that water out too then straining out any remaining liquid.

Lot's of info online if you google these mushrooms for culinary or medicinal, psychoactive uses. They are one of, if not the oldest known consumed mushrooms on earth for ceremonial, medicinal, culinary, psychoactive uses. Unlike other "magic" mushrooms, they do not contain psilocyben so therefore in Canada they are not illegal. Muscimol in mushrooms is not illegal here.

There are also a few more varieties of Amanita's in Canada that have these same properties. They are the variety flavoconia, and the pantherina on the west coast and on the east coast they have the muscaria variant gemmata. The muscaria is the easiest one to physically ID when picking as there is no other mushroom on earth that looks like it.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention that these mushrooms are legal to pick, own, and consume in Canada as they are not psilocyben mushrooms.

Last edited:
Ibotenic acid isn't good for us. The muscimol is what people are after from this mushroom for psychoactive and medicinal properties etc. In low doses it will give very deep sleep, up the dose a bit and you get very lucid incredible dreams with a mix of a drunk feeling before falling asleep. Up the dose some more and you get hallucinations coming with the other intoxicating affects. Personally I eat them for culinary value and for helping with amazing sleep. I am overactive when it comes to always needing things to do, have OCD, etc and often nights I don't sleep much cause my mind is always working and I get too involved with trying to figure out how things occur in science, nature etc. so for me I drink some amanita tea about an hour and half before going to bed and I sleep amazing. If I don't have anything going on the next day and want a bit more fun then I up the dose to get the intoxicating affects and the very incredible lucid dreams. I have hallucinated too but that's when you really want to go to that level cause it can be pretty heavy. And it's a deep psychoactive that makes your mind go places it normally doesn't go when dreaming. I literally have to write some of the stuff down after the long amazing dreams cause some of the stuff is just incredible.

If the Ibotenic acid is not converted to muscimol then people will get upset stomach and nausea. To convert all the Ibotenic acid to Muscimol you need to decarboxilate. Just like how marijuana is decarboxilated before the affects of it can be used up in our bodies. To decarboxilate Amanita mushrooms you can do it a couple ways; first way is drying in oven or any other way you can get the temps right at 80 to 90 degrees C until the mushrooms are "cracker dry". Too little heat or too much heat will both not convert all the IA, and kill the existing Muscimol. But there is some science out there that says this will not get rid of 100% of the Ibotenic Acid and that this process is the only way to get 100% of the IA converted to Muscimol: After drying the mushrooms (a simple lower temp dehydrator is fine for this cause the decarb process is done after in the tea making) the dried mushrooms are put in water with enough lemon juice to lower the PH level to between 2.6 to 2.9 PH and simmered for 3 hrs. A PH pen or PH strips are needed to accurately determine the PH level of the tea as you lower it with the lemon juice. The mushrooms are then strained/filtered and the tea is kept for medicinal purposes. If you want you can still keep those mushrooms and can them after the tea is made for used for cooking.
For culinary usage it's best to use after drying at the 80 to 90 degree Celsius so that the Ibotenic Acid (or most of it) is gone. The dried mushrooms can be re hydrated for use in cooking as well.
There's also a way to use them in cooking and to get rid of the ibotenic and muscimol so you are left with just edible regular mushrooms by boiling them in water, tossing away that liquid, then boiling them one more time (can be quick) and tossing that water out too then straining out any remaining liquid.

Lot's of info online if you google these mushrooms for culinary or medicinal, psychoactive uses. They are one of, if not the oldest known consumed mushrooms on earth for ceremonial, medicinal, culinary, psychoactive uses. Unlike other "magic" mushrooms, they do not contain psilocyben so therefore in Canada they are not illegal. Muscimol in mushrooms is not illegal here.

There are also a few more varieties of Amanita's in Canada that have these same properties. They are the variety flavoconia, and the pantherina on the west coast and on the east coast they have the muscaria variant gemmata. The muscaria is the easiest one to physically ID when picking as there is no other mushroom on earth that looks like it.
Thanks for the great response.

Sometimes you gotta just say screw it and have a deep fried food night. Panko halibut and king shrimp with home made honey chipotle sauce, home made tarter sauce, home made coleslaw, home made french fries, and sweet buns. Halibut and shrimp were tossed in flour with herbs and spices then rolled in egg then coated in panko. Washed it down with frosty Heineken's. Delicious!!

124621323_1012905285877710_7267203022658838650_o.jpg

124612836_1012905305877708_2940427138702882103_o.jpg

124557602_1012905325877706_8263579407320078241_o.jpg

124612286_1012905345877704_5276415841888308108_o.jpg

124886211_1012905245877714_2433605770282227334_o.jpg

Sometimes you gotta just say screw it and have a deep fried food night. Panko halibut and king shrimp with home made honey chipotle sauce, home made tarter sauce, home made coleslaw, home made french fries, and sweet buns. Halibut and shrimp were tossed in flour with herbs and spices then rolled in egg then coated in panko. Washed it down with frosty Heineken's. Delicious!!

View attachment 58576

View attachment 58577

View attachment 58578

View attachment 58579

View attachment 58580
I do my white fish the same way these days. So much easier, lighter and actually stays crispy longer than a beer batter. Nice work.

Back