Water in bilage. Motor rust

dmurph

Hey all, my bilage in my 07 2359 always seems to have some water in it. Can't seem to solve it so have to just live with it. Think it's rain water getting through the battery hatch maybe. I have tried to seal it up a little and keep a rubber mat over that whole area of deck. Regardless water gets in and my new last summer motor is already rusting up, breaking my heart. Is there any others who always have a little water in the bilage? Is there a spray like fluid film or something that can be sprayed to help combat the corrosion? Something that wouldn't stink up the boat to much as we pretty much live on it in the summer months. Actually in the summer I don't recall it being much of an issue which is why I suspect rain water.

I noticed my 2159 always has a little water in the bilge, so I drained it completely and kept an eye on it. It's dry until it rains. I believe it's getting in through my engine cover and battery cover. I'm not having any corrosion issues.

If its salt water check the seal around your leg collar. I would think that it is salt water if things are rusting up. Could try spraying some WD40 to dissipate the water off the motor. If fresh water it's most likely rainwater.

Boat has a new last summer, leg and transom assembly. I think it's rain water getting in. It stays pretty dry through out the summer it seems. Gotta maybe pull it out for the winter months. Sits unattended to long.

Boeshield T-9 (http://boeshield.com/) is a anti-corrosion spray that was developed by Boeing and is recommended for protecting engines. I've used it on the boat with good results. It has a wax additive which leaves a long term protective coating. Its also dielectric so you can use it to protect electrical connections, bus bars, etc.

Welcome to I/O powered ownership. Wait till you are in rough seas & the fan belt flings water everywhere. Get an outboard.

Welcome to I/O powered ownership. Wait till you are in rough seas & the fan belt flings water everywhere. Get an outboard.

Nothing wrong with inboards. I find this the most useless argument on the forum myself. But hey spend your money.

In all serious you shouldn't have any water in bilge pull the out drive and inspect everything. Also clean it out and see if you have an hatches leaking etc.

The motor, leg and entire transom assembly are all brand new last summer. Pretty sure is all rain water getting in through my battery hatch which is on the floor right in front of the dog house. Also I think saltwater wash down spray getting in through same area. Gonna seal up that battery hatch and solve the problem.

My 2008 2359 also has fresh water entering the bilge through the battery hatch. I've covered the hatch with a large matt and added foam weather stripping but was unable to stop (maybe slow) the fresh water. I then resorted to adding a second aft bilge in a lower position than the stock bilge. I'm interested to see comments on the subject. I also have a 2 year old 5.7 MPI but haven't noticed rust. My guess is that you use your raw water washdown more than me and thats the source of your salt.

My 2008 2359 also has fresh water entering the bilge through the battery hatch. I've covered the hatch with a large matt and added foam weather stripping but was unable to stop (maybe slow) the fresh water. I then resorted to adding a second aft bilge in a lower position than the stock bilge. I'm interested to see comments on the subject. I also have a 2 year old 5.7 MPI but haven't noticed rust. My guess is that you use your raw water washdown more than me and thats the source of your salt.

Yes we use the washdown way to much. I am gonna copy CCB from this site and gorilla tape that hatch up completely. I've tried the mat and weather stripping. There is only a couple little spots right now, it'll clean up then I'll coat the motor with fluid film or a similar product posted

Back