Wanted: new-ish midsize o/b, plus USA buying????

juandesooka

Question: part 1

I'm looking for a new or new-ish outboard for a 15.5' Hourston.
I'd settle for a 50hp, but prefer 60-70hp. Prefer Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, but would consider anything.
I'd also consider buying a boat to go with it, if the package was a good deal.

Part 2: buying in USA

With the dollar at par, I figure there must be some good deals to be had in the USA right now. Anyone have any tips on where to look for deals down south? craigslist seattle seems to be busy for boats. Any other tips on sites to check out or good shops to deal with?

Thanks in advance for any info,

John

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Problem is, you will run into several duty problems if you buy a Jappanese outboard untill they reach a certain age, so the only American thing you can buy is a Merc.
The duty on a japanese outboard is 1% and pst/gst

Be aware that there may be warranty issues.
You may not have warranty coverage in Canada. The manufacturers are trying to protect their Canadian distributors/retailers so check before committing (if you are relying on the warranty program).
Usually you can come up with a toll free phone number by calling up the mfgrs website, e.g. Yamaha USA rather than Yamaha Canada.

Not trying to scare you, but the high dollar has so many Canadians shopping for deals down south that the Canadian retail dealers - who really don't have much room to manouver, or at least not enough to compensate for the 15% change in the dollar - are probably running scared.

Worth checking beforehand, sez he who bought a Tundra in Seattle because Toyota will honour the warranty in Canada.

And then, Check out Boattrader.com, Iboats.com, and even the online classifieds in the Seattle newspapers.

I bought my 21 trophy from down in california it was easy just get your paper work ready for custums. I spent less time in the custums office then what I did in the line up call me if you have any questions :D

I bought my 21 trophy from down in california it was easy just get your paper work ready for custums. I spent less time in the custums office then what I did in the line up call me if you have any questions :D

I bought a new Trophy in July, did all my homework first and saved several $1000's http://www.riv.ca/ will have all the info needed, re duty etc. As far as I know there is no duty as long as the boat was made in the US or Can, double check on the motor I was told no duty period (mercury definitely no duty).
As for warranty I stopped in at Morrison on Keating Rd, they assured me they would honor any warranty (they actually get a premium to work on the motors). I contacted Yamaha Canada and was told the exact same thing.
But please do your own homework, call the manufacturer, don't talk to a local salesman.
If you purchase a boat, motor, trailer there is a fee of $200 to have the trailer inspected at Canadian Tire when you get back. That's it, no other duties. You will have to pay the gst/pst.
It was very easy at the border, they will ask where you saw the ad and a few other questions to verify your telling the truth about the price. Keep any ads or the website info. Then you pay the taxes, (they accept credit cards).
usedboats.com is where I found mine.
email for any further info

Back