Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: January 29th/2004.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

It has been a while! In fact, this is my first newsletter of 2004, so I should wish you all a belated "Happy New Year!"

I was holding off on sending an updated newsletter for the past couple of weeks since the fishing has stayed about the same as it was during early December, and I was sort of waiting to see if there would be a significant change to it. There hasn't been much of a change yet, though I still anticipate larger numbers of Chinook to begin showing up very soon.

The trend of much larger than average sized fish has continued, and an associate landed a beautiful 25 lb "red" last Saturday (Jan 24th). I think that is the first "red" over 20 lbs I have ever heard of during the winter months (the big fish are usually "whites"), and who knows how many more of its friends are hanging around in Howe Sound right now. The majority of the fish have been in the mid-teens (13 to 18 lbs), and there have been VERY few undersized Chinook around. That may be changing a bit, as several undersized fish were landed during the last week. This is a positive sign, as it may be signalling the start of the anticipated increase in overall Chinook numbers.

The majority of my fishing effort will likely continue in the Hutt Island to Tunstall Bay area, though I have already made one trip up to Defence Islands (that is where the 25 lb came from), and during February and March, trips over to the Gulf Islands on calm days can often provide excellent fishing. The nice thing about fishing Howe Sound at this time of year is that it is protected from the winds, so we are always able to find sheltered calm waters in a productive fishing location.

Most of the fish have been coming from the Hutt Island/Waterfall area of late, though Tunstall Bay could "turn on" any day as well. Grace Islands has also been producing quite well for the "locals" out of Gibsons, though it is a place I have fished infrequently in the past. I may just have to "give it a go" in the next little while, as a friend finally decided to try it out earlier this week, and promptly landed a 15 pounder.

For those of you who go out fishing yourselves, you may be interested in checking out the "Catch Stats" portion of my web-site. It has extremely detailed information describing where each fish was caught, when, on what, depth, etc..., and I then analyze the information for each fishing location to determine how the "bite" correlates to tide and moon phases etc... There is also a Recent Results page that pops up with detailed fishing information for the past week or two. The results are from my own fishing excusions as well as those of associates and members of the site. To access all this information, there is an annual membership fee (but you can see examples on the site). It is currently $39.95/year, but it will be rising to $49.95/year mid-February (after the Boat Show), so I thought I should make mention of it so anyone thinking of joining could do so before the rate increase. Once you join, you will always be able to renew your membership for the same rate you originally joined at as long as you don't let it lapse.

I will be working the Boat Show for Shimano again this year (Feb. 4th thru 8th). I will be located in the Nikka Industries booth (likely on the main floor) from Thursday thru Sunday for the majority of each day (I am not working there on the Wednesday). Other than this short stretch of days, I will be available for charters pretty much every day, and this flexibility can also be used to adjust the date of any charter you book if the weather on that day turns out to be particularily bad.

Another note of interest is that the charter rates did not rise on January 1st as I was initially led to believe - 2003's rates will stay in effect until April 1st, 2004. This means that any winter Chinook charters booked for February or March will remain at $375 + GST for 5 hours and $70 + GST for extra hours. On April 1st they will rise to $400 + GST for 5 hours and $75 + GST for extra hours.

As you may recall, over the past couple of years I have put together overnight packages for the Gulf Islands, and they are generally best suited for the months of May and June due to the good fishing and the longer daylight hours at that time of year. For 2004, I am going to add in a modified overnight trip to specifically target the upper Howe Sound Chinook in June, July, and even August. I "discovered" an incredible pocket of Chinook in mid-July last year, and the Chinook fishing continued to be VERY good in this location up until early August.

Once other anglers started fishing the area, the bite changed from "all day" to an early morning/late evening situation, so my package will be designed to take full advantage of this. I am still working out the details, but it will likely start late afternoon, fish until dark, stay overnight in Gibsons (just "because", but also phenominal crabbing off Gower Pt. at that time of year), then fish from "first light until mid-morning. The trip could be designed to originally depart from Sewell's, or from Gibsons. I anticipate a very busy schedule from at least mid-June to early August targeting these large Chinook, so this will be a great way to get "two days fishing" (two day limit) from a single trip.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back