Value of an 18ft welded boat?

TheNootkaRose

Long time lurker, new poster.

Been on the water for years, mostly in glass boats or sailing, doing my thing, not really watching the market or what others are doing. So I wanted to ask a general opinion from those who know aluminum welded boats.

Recognizing the fact that a boat's value is dependent on what one is willing to pay, just wanted to throw out a hypothetical, so that you can educate me:

Let's say we got a 10 year old 18ft centre console welded aluminum from a reputable manufacturer on the island (Silver Streak, Lifetimer, Eaglecraft, or Wolf for example, I know there are others) with a 10 year old 90hp mercury/yammy/honda motor, and 10 year old trailer. Maintained well. Average hours on motor (500-1000?) with records for maintenance. No fishing gear or "extras" that would skew the value.

What's your range for the dollar value of this to you specifically?

I'm asking as I start looking for a new boat, and I'm curious what the right threshold is for what people see as a good score.

Thanks.
Cheers

NK

I think that there are so many variables in terms of condition and design/features/configuration that it's hard to say "a ten year old 18ft tinner will cost $xx,xxx"

Watch the used sites and see what boats are being listed at and how quickly the postings are removed. You'll start to get a sense for value

Yeah, like pineapple said. Lots of variables so a wide range...$25 to 35k.

I think anything under 20k will be 'well travelled'.

15-30k ought to cover the range of conditions you will find a 10 year old boat in. Just make sure you don't pay 30k for one that should be worth 15.

I think that there are so many variables in terms of condition and design/features/configuration that it's hard to say "a ten year old 18ft tinner will cost $xx,xxx"

Watch the used sites and see what boats are being listed at and how quickly the postings are removed. You'll start to get a sense for value

Thanks PE, been doing that for sure. Wanted to bounce ideas off the guys about value. Cheers.

i only buy new - 16 footer is around $30k for a light one with 60HP merc all new. 45K will get you an 18 footer with 115HP yammy. 53K will get you a 20 footer with 150 HP.

Back