Uploading RCAs into GPS?

fishmate

I have heard of a place in Vancouver where I can take my GPS and have the BC Coastal RCAs loaded in. Does anyone know the name of the place that will do that?

I have heard of a place in Vancouver where I can take my GPS and have the BC Coastal RCAs loaded in. Does anyone know the name of the place that will do that?
I hoped that such a service was available but couldn't find one.
Since I also wanted the RCA's to show on my chartplotter, I played around with the system & was finally successful in getting them accurately positioned. I used the co-ordinates provided on the dfo site to create waypoints on the chartplotter. I then simply linked them together by running a "route" from waypoint to waypoint. I saved them & now store them on my gps with my other routes. You can also change the colors of your boundaries to better highlight them on your gps. I made mine red.
The process takes abit of time but sure has been worth it for me. One tip I would pass along is that you will need to zoom in on the co-ordinates to get them accurate to "one second" of a degree. I actually got quite quick with the process after I did the first one.
Hope this helps.

Since I also wanted the RCA's to show on my chartplotter, I played around with the system & was finally successful in getting them accurately positioned. I used the co-ordinates provided on the dfo site to create waypoints on the chartplotter. I then simply linked them together by running a "route" from waypoint to waypoint. I saved them & now store them on my gps with my other routes. You can also change the colors of your boundaries to better highlight them on your gps. I made mine red.
The process takes abit of time but sure has been worth it for me. One tip I would pass along is that you will need to zoom in on the co-ordinates to get them accurate to "one second" of a degree. I actually got quite quick with the process after I did the first one.
Hope this helps.

That's roughly the same process I use - e.g. waypoints + a route. However, on many (most?) GPS's there's a way to input the waypoint coordinates directly so no zooming in is required. On my iPad with Navionics, use the search tool and it allows you to put in the lat/long directly. Learning how to put in the lat long directly is also useful if you get a call from a buddy with his coords OR if you need to respond to an emergency using coords provided by the coast guard.

Hope this helps.
X2. Do the exact same thing. Like you say,you can choose whatever color you want the border to be. I also made
mine red.

Thanks!

I'm not very good with the electronic stuff, but your instructions sound straight-forward. This will be my winter project. We like to fish a few spots that may border on RCAs and I need the peace of mind of knowing I'm on the legal side of that line!

Hope this helps.

Back