Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

"The masses are asses" (quote's been around for awhile). Lotsa noise out there about conservation but in reality **** consumer is just day to day "me" and know more about shopping specials than fish and wildlife and really could not give a fu*k because that stuff is just some "noise" in their distant background. The closure of malls however ... now that would stir right into the sediment. Preservation of the natural world is but a small % of the electorate. Holding to task a politician over this issue should not be a problem because it really means nothing in getting actually elected.

Other countries would die to have a sportfishery as BC has or had but our government has to kill it! I don't get how they not see this fantastic economic opportunity.

How are we going to mobilize a group to fight this battle? I am reaching out the SFI and SFAB to see what they plan to do. I will report back.

The battle is coming. Everyone on this thread/forum should be a member of SFI if they haven't in light of current situation. If you have a business and love sport fishing be a corporate member. You dont have to own a lodge. They are the only group at this point to battle this regionally for recreational angers in my eyes.

FYI Our SFAB is not a lobby group.

I’ve been following this guy during the whole TM discussion. He seems to put together Science and a common sense which sadly isn’t always the case. He takes a different view of things like tanker traffic and the whales. As he suggests the oil may continue to roll, only now by the less safe rail method and still end up in tankers transmitting the straits only from American ports
Here’s a link.
https://achemistinlangley.net/

A start would be for the SFAB to have a webpage that included at the minimum a position statement on endangered SRKW's; Do we believe SRKW's are endangered and are we willing to support their recovery?

A net pen is a temporary enclosure where hatchery raised juvenile salmon are held and fed, usually for 2-4 weeks to increase their survival through the transition from fresh to salt water. During this time they also imprint to the river they are intended to return to as adults. Once this has been done they are released to live out their time as free roaming salmon. I’m sure you know what a fish farm is.

Sad part is these resident whales are doomed no matter what we do.
All this crap is about politics.
Our Canadian Resource and Canadian Heritage of Sport Fishing will be also be lost in the process.

SV...with all the issues coming down and how the business end of sport fishing has a huge negative potential going forward...look what happened to limits in the north this summer...will any single group like SFI have the time and resources to fight for anyone outside of their specific niche? They will be up to their eyeballs in a fight to not have a repeat up north of the 2018 restrictions. That is their bread and butter. Those lodges could loose 6 weeks of the early summer is they are limited to one Chinook until July 9th as this year. Who will spend $6000 to book before July 9th and have 1/2 the limits of later? That will be there big fight.

SV...with all the issues coming down and how the business end of sport fishing has a huge negative potential going forward...look what happened to limits in the north this summer...will any single group like SFI have the time and resources to fight for anyone outside of their specific niche? They will be up to their eyeballs in a fight to not have a repeat up north of the 2018 restrictions. That is their bread and butter. Those lodges could loose 6 weeks of the early summer is they are limited to one Chinook until July 9th as this year. Who will spend $6000 to book before July 9th and have 1/2 the limits of later? That will be there big fight.

The answer is yes Rollie. SFAB will deal as usual with things going down. We need a spokesman that is experienced in fisheries that can lobby and can meet with government officials face to face at a very high level. The anglers must be united under one unbrella if we are going to win this thing. That is why SFI is clearly the only choice here. SVIAC is only south island, and is not regional. You guys already have your hands full with your netpen project. BCWF is another choice but is very broad in scope, and already has a number of things they are fighting right now. Please join SFI if you haven't already.

Big fights on the way...

A net pen is a temporary enclosure where hatchery raised juvenile salmon are held and fed, usually for 2-4 weeks to increase their survival through the transition from fresh to salt water. During this time they also imprint to the river they are intended to return to as adults. Once this has been done they are released to live out their time as free roaming salmon. I’m sure you know what a fish farm is.
Thankyou , pointing out something that some might confuse ,"Net Pens" are usually identified or associated with Fish FArm... therefore it is nessesarry to make sure the general public is aware of the use of the term and how the equipment is being used.. many may see it as a negative...

It would be of great benefit to our cause (sportfishing) for all those involved and running any kind of salmon enhancement programs, be they hatchery, stream work or whatever to reach out to these environmentalist groups to donate and chip in to help with this work as it is of great benefit to the srkw. how can they refuse without looking bad especially if it is done properly in public media. to just fight an us against them battle is a no win, there needs to be some kind of compromise and people need to work together somehow on this issue. to just put your back up is not the answer imho.

a seal cull is definitely needed to help with this issue also and is being done in other places.

We definitely need a unified lobby group for the whole coast to represent sportfishing. we all need to be members of sfi.

anyone else witness one in particular whale watching boat steamroll right thru the absolute middle of the relatively small fishing fleet off of t10 yesterday. it was obviously done on purpose. we need to film some of these boats whenever we see them harassing the whales (and fishermen, lol) getting waayyyy too close on many occaisions. the noise and havoc created by these tour boats (ever increasing numbers it seems) has to also be a hindrance to these whales. far more than any freighter I would assume.

ok, why is this not being discussed? J50 has been found to have parasitic worms. My reading of other cases of whales, the whale will get to the point that they cannot eat. THAT should be a focus - to my little brain, this says it is not about lack of food at all (which makes sense since northern pod are doing fine). Further reading also says that they can be passed down from mother to calf. Uh, well, it sounds like to me couldn't all the reproductive females have parasites, explaining why no young are surviving right now? Shouldn't this be the focus? Where did they contract these? Fish farms? Shouldn't they all be tested? Shouldn't they all be given de-wormer if so?
Seriously - to me, this says it has nothing to do with fishing and boating at all (which we have been screaming anyway).

Am I missing something?

It would be of great benefit to our cause (sportfishing) for all those involved and running any kind of salmon enhancement programs, be they hatchery, stream work or whatever to reach out to these environmentalist groups to donate and chip in to help with this work as it is of great benefit to the srkw. how can they refuse without looking bad especially if it is done properly in public media. to just fight an us against them battle is a no win, there needs to be some kind of compromise and people need to work together somehow on this issue. to just put your back up is not the answer imho.

a seal cull is definitely needed to help with this issue also and is being done in other places.

We definitely need a unified lobby group for the whole coast to represent sportfishing. we all need to be members of sfi.

anyone else witness one in particular whale watching boat steamroll right thru the absolute middle of the relatively small fishing fleet off of t10 yesterday. it was obviously done on purpose. we need to film some of these boats whenever we see them harassing the whales (and fishermen, lol) getting waayyyy too close on many occaisions. the noise and havoc created by these tour boats (ever increasing numbers it seems) has to also be a hindrance to these whales. far more than any freighter I would assume.
several yrs ago ,we along with visiting family were on a whale watching boat , did more or less what you have said happened , then turned around to come in closer again , told him and his so called expert that they were too close and they just laughed ... german couple got PO'd then it went down hill from there. When back at the dock in Victoria , the guide starts chipping off at me , told them what was going to happen if they did not back off .. all reported ..never heard a thing ..was all on youtube for a while ..

ok, why is this not being discussed? J50 has been found to have parasitic worms. My reading of other cases of whales, the whale will get to the point that they cannot eat. THAT should be a focus - to my little brain, this says it is not about lack of food at all (which makes sense since northern pod are doing fine). Further reading also says that they can be passed down from mother to calf. Uh, well, it sounds like to me couldn't all the reproductive females have parasites, explaining why no young are surviving right now? Shouldn't this be the focus? Where did they contract these? Fish farms? Shouldn't they all be tested? Shouldn't they all be given de-wormer if so?
Seriously - to me, this says it has nothing to do with fishing and boating at all (which we have been screaming anyway).

Am I missing something?
fact is: the sport fisher is too vocal for the Government's liking , DFO has to have a budget to manage and police the fishery/stock. It therefore is much easier for Government and DFO if they can roll the whole shebang up into one deal , say hand the fishery Sport and Comm over to one body , they ( Gov) then only have to deal with one body and it serves Trudeau's grand plan. Look at Washington , jointly managed by FN and State.

The only way to fight is to quantify the Tax base on the sport fishery, on top of making it an election issue.. but given the performance of the big L, that might get lost in the crowd..
Education of the public especially the non sporty fisher .. how many neighbours realise that their income in part comes from tourist/sport fisher dollars, or their community will change if not disappear ..

Last edited:
Nicnat...you are spot on, as my parents used to say...I have seen over 15 years as a member of the SFAB, the executive, and with the Pacific Salmon Commission representing Canada, as well as an active participant in the fight for Halibut Allocation improvement...and learned a lot about how we can affect DFO thinking...in this coming case it is how to affect the Ministry of the Environment SARA advisory group of Science advisors thinking. This will take a strong, and very unified group response from the one group who is informed, experienced, and lead by very well spoken and respected representatives...and yes, that is the SFI ( Sport Fishing Institute ) !! There are very well and world recognized Scientists who are advising DFO and MOE that the actions against Recreational Anglers is ineffective to provide extra chinook for Orcas...we need to start to realize that the liberal Government is developing policy based on Twitter and facebook ( sounds like down south) and that we need to fight on that level with good professional advice and planned active response...this takes money...SFI has the necessary leadership, we need to give them numbers of members and money for the fight. Join the SFI, encourage friends and almost friends to join...this is a fight for real, and needs everyone's attention!

The battle is coming. Everyone on this thread/forum should be a member of SFI if they haven't in light of current situation. If you have a business and love sport fishing be a corporate member. You dont have to own a lodge. They are the only group at this point to battle this regionally for recreational angers in my eyes.

FYI Our SFAB is not a lobby group.

And Leur Jensen is not helping our image... think they would have advertising more in tune with today's fishers. (This was full page ad last month in a BC fishing mag)

AdPic.jpg

Nicnat...you are spot on, as my parents used to say...I have seen over 15 years as a member of the SFAB, the executive, and with the Pacific Salmon Commission representing Canada, as well as an active participant in the fight for Halibut Allocation improvement...and learned a lot about how we can affect DFO thinking...in this coming case it is how to affect the Ministry of the Environment SARA advisory group of Science advisors thinking. This will take a strong, and very unified group response from the one group who is informed, experienced, and lead by very well spoken and respected representatives...and yes, that is the SFI ( Sport Fishing Institute ) !! There are very well and world recognized Scientists who are advising DFO and MOE that the actions against Recreational Anglers is ineffective to provide extra chinook for Orcas...we need to start to realize that the liberal Government is developing policy based on Twitter and facebook ( sounds like down south) and that we need to fight on that level with good professional advice and planned active response...this takes money...SFI has the necessary leadership, we need to give them numbers of members and money for the fight. Join the SFI, encourage friends and almost friends to join...this is a fight for real, and needs everyone's attention!

I don't know. I have yet to see a public meeting being called by the SFI here in southern BC. As someone here said, their focus is to represent the big lodges and tackle industry. Also important, don't get me wrong, they sit in a similar boat but my money goes to SVIAC, they are right here, you can talk to them, they know what goes on here on the south island and they bring the local players together to put fish in the water.

I don't know. I have yet to see a public meeting being called by the SFI here in southern BC. As someone here said, their focus is to represent the big lodges and tackle industry. Also important, don't get me wrong, they sit in a similar boat but my money goes to SVIAC, they are right here, you can talk to them, they know what goes on here on the south island and they bring the local players together to put fish in the water.

Well that didn't take long. Calmsea why are you stirring it up, and who sent you?

SVIAC is not the choice to lead us BC wide. They need to focus on net pen and their alliance to whale watching industry to get it done so it continues. That in itself is F/T job. They have done good work but only in a small area. But still how has it worked out there. You still got crucified in your area ( well mine too).

SFI doesn't know what happens on south island?? I am confused. Please know your material more before you go off in public calmsea. Much of what you said isn't true, and question why you said it on here. I believe you were also at the last meeting with the MP at the Prestige, and you know full well SFI showed up. Totally question your post. Now isn't the time to play games on here.

Last edited:
Back