Red spring vs white spring

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by Tockeyetalmon, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Tockeyetalmon

Tockeyetalmon Active Member

Do they actually taste different? Does anyone prefer white?

2. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

If you close your eyes whites taste better lol but nothing beats an 18-30 troll caught red lol

3. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

whites are oilier and have a distinct smell
    I like reds better
    but it's personal preference

2xeagle16 likes this.
  4. Tockeyetalmon

I prefer red and smoke my whites, had white for dinner last night and really wasn’t digging it.

5. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Well-Known Member

I like to smoke the white ones also.

6. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

I find winter feeder whites great but cap whites stinky. Could just be stage of life.

7. outbeen

outbeen Member

I have done a blindfold taste test and couldn't tell the difference. That said when eating BBQ fish I want it to be pinkish. Smoked, canned or anything else that changes the color I dont really think there is a difference

8. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

For eating reds it has a nice sweet and rich taste, for smoking i prefer the early marbled whites like right now, i look so
    forward to this time of the year to getting some, the last few years now the whites are a family favourite when smoked
    it's like cod like but with more oils so it becomes super tender... i'll trade local whites for reds

9. Whitebuck

Whitebuck Well-Known Member

Upper Fraser stock whites taste amazing.
    The Harrison/Cap/Vedder white fall stock are gross.

ab1752 and UkeeDreamin like this.
  10. agentaqua

agentaqua Well-Known Member

I find where you catch them makes a big difference - whether or not they are still silver - or have adjusted to the freshwater...

another interesting thing - speaking of smells (thanks for that Scott) - anyone notice that certain Chinook from certain areas smell - distinctly? a sharp smell like yellow cedar, perhaps?

11. littlechucky

littlechucky Well-Known Member

Not just Chinook :eek:

Stizzla likes this.
  12. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

Once a herrison white is watermarked they get really stinky and table fair is not very good.

13. littlechucky

littlechucky Well-Known Member

I spend a lot of time at the cleaning table scraping as much of the slime off any spring I catch.

That stuff is funky and less on the skin before you cook the better.

Didn’t always do that and it does make a difference.

Worth the extra 5 mins.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  14. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Exactly. I hose them off three times on the boat before I leave for the cleaning table then twice more once I'm there lol.

15. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

I bonked a big September whitey at Sherringham one time. I served it up from the bbq to a large group in my backyard. My favourite was a lady who brought her plate over to the bbq and said “mines not cooked enough, the colour’s not right.” :D

I eat the whites and don’t find them offensive. Perhaps I don’t have a refined palate. :D

16. CIVANO

CIVANO Well-Known Member

My wife did not like the white ones. We did a blindfolded taste test and she could not tell the difference and she is VERY picky. They do seem to freezer burn more quickly.

17. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

Cut the whites into little square nuggets.. flour/cornstarch in a cajun rub damn good
    nothing like a deep fry... they sure are slimy

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Whitebuck likes this.
  18. Teja

Teja Well-Known Member

For me as a Vancouverite, the best eating fish of the year is a red Howe Sound winter spring caught with the snow capped mountains in the background and the worst is an ammonia scented Capilano white spring caught in a pack of 100 boats with a seal racing quickly behind the fish towards the boat. I used to keep the Cap springs for smoking but now the much better half won't allow me into the house with them.

Dorman Point, ab1752 and Rain City like this.
  19. alex green

alex green Member

just poke them with your knife and check the core sample before bonking that way you dont kill fish you dont wanna eat

Stizzla, kingspring, ab1752 and 2 others like this.
  20. Tockeyetalmon

Awesome lol