Prawning

C

Country Boy

Can any one tell me what they are using for bait ?. Commercial pellets, cat food(what type) and some guys say to mix both together. Also how much weight are you running in your traps (each one) and how is the weight attached to your traps ? What style of traps are you using ? Are you pulling by hand or a pot puller ( Ace Line Hauler/ Robinson Retriever/ Custom made) ? What are the peak months to catch prawns ? We just came back from Poets Nooke and the fishing was terrible, prawning was poor and Crabbing was awesome. We tried 2 miles out, Rainey Bay, Pill point and nothing for our efforts. Definitely got to get me a pot puller though. Seriously looking at the Ace Line Hauler.

Hey there Country Boy,
You were trying for prawns to far out. One of my buds has been doing extremely well off Arden, town side of the narrows. I'd also suggest trying by the fish farm in the narrows if you're not afraid of potential contamination.
As for your queries:
1:Bait: Commercial pellets work great. Contact the guy who runs 'Ace of Baits' in Parksville, decent price, great bait. Can mix in fish oil, sardines (in oil - chopped) or especially good salmon roe (if you can get volume from the hatchery, or keep what you get over the season).
2. No weight needed in my traps, just a clip-on line weight above each end trap on the string of four. Of course you might need to weigh them down if using the 'sport-style' gear so common in Zellers, Canada Tire and the majority of sporting good shops.
3. I use two stainless traps (centre of string) with fine mesh, and two commercial steel traps on each end (larger mesh). The stainless are lighter, about 20 lbs each, the steel jobs also act as anchors as they weigh in at about 50. Traps 50 feet apart.
4. Used to pull by hand, but day after day hauling up from 300 began to make me look too much like Arnie. Built a puller 3 years ago - no turning back. Mounted on custom swing arm so traps don't bang the side of the boat upon surfacing.
5. Best months here historically have been December January and February. Now closures through the spawn (finally!) take out Jan and Feb, but when it re-opened in April, was HOT for several weeks. Slows over the summer, getting better into the fall again.
The hauler sure saves on visits to the chiropracter! Don't know the one you mention, but any of quality will do.
Spring and hail fishing out on the banks will be a LOT better than inside for the next while. A large school of immature springs and coho mix has taken up temporary feeding stations in zone 8 and 9, so best to avoid. Heard of some success closer to Ucy and closer to the beach than the banks. Might try there, or get the GPS, radio and radar fired up for a run out to the Big Bank. It's good there right now. Best if 40 miles out, 50 fathom edge beyond the Big Bank. Trollers are hauling loads up to 40 pounds or so!
Good Luck, hope you get into a few chromers and bugs.
Cheers...

Hey there Country Boy,
You were trying for prawns to far out. One of my buds has been doing extremely well off Arden, town side of the narrows. I'd also suggest trying by the fish farm in the narrows if you're not afraid of potential contamination.
As for your queries:
1:Bait: Commercial pellets work great. Contact the guy who runs 'Ace of Baits' in Parksville, decent price, great bait. Can mix in fish oil, sardines (in oil - chopped) or especially good salmon roe (if you can get volume from the hatchery, or keep what you get over the season).
2. No weight needed in my traps, just a clip-on line weight above each end trap on the string of four. Of course you might need to weigh them down if using the 'sport-style' gear so common in Zellers, Canada Tire and the majority of sporting good shops.
3. I use two stainless traps (centre of string) with fine mesh, and two commercial steel traps on each end (larger mesh). The stainless are lighter, about 20 lbs each, the steel jobs also act as anchors as they weigh in at about 50. Traps 50 feet apart.
4. Used to pull by hand, but day after day hauling up from 300 began to make me look too much like Arnie. Built a puller 3 years ago - no turning back. Mounted on custom swing arm so traps don't bang the side of the boat upon surfacing.
5. Best months here historically have been December January and February. Now closures through the spawn (finally!) take out Jan and Feb, but when it re-opened in April, was HOT for several weeks. Slows over the summer, getting better into the fall again.
The hauler sure saves on visits to the chiropracter! Don't know the one you mention, but any of quality will do.
Spring and hail fishing out on the banks will be a LOT better than inside for the next while. A large school of immature springs and coho mix has taken up temporary feeding stations in zone 8 and 9, so best to avoid. Heard of some success closer to Ucy and closer to the beach than the banks. Might try there, or get the GPS, radio and radar fired up for a run out to the Big Bank. It's good there right now. Best if 40 miles out, 50 fathom edge beyond the Big Bank. Trollers are hauling loads up to 40 pounds or so!
Cheers...

Hey there Country Boy,
As for your queries:
Cheers...

Sure is nice to see this site might actually be turning around some. Someone asks a few questions and gets real answers. Who would have thought?
Thanks for the information Noggin. I know that I can't speak for all but I sure appreciate the info.

tight lines

Sure is nice to see this site might actually be turning around some. Someone asks a few questions and gets real answers. Who would have thought?
Thanks for the information Noggin. I know that I can't speak for all but I sure appreciate the info.

tight lines

tight lines

Noggin always relays the info!!!! Can't wait for the Stamp reports, or running into him again on the lower.

Noggin always relays the info!!!! Can't wait for the Stamp reports, or running into him again on the lower.

There's lots of techniques, traps and methods of catching prawns, just like there is of catching salmon. Personally, I would get a prawn hauler if I had 50 lb traps! Since I have mostly lightweight, folding traps, its no big deal to pull traps by hand. I have a pulley on a long arm that bolts to by boat with one wingnut. And when I go prawning in the winter, its kinda' nice to get a bit of excersize.

Fisheries has got very serious about enforcing the two traps per line rule, pulling and confiscating traps. I used to hand pull 4 traps per line, so doing two per line is only a light workout.

Personally, I like to use catfood because its cheap and easy to use. 32 cents a can at wally world for the special kitty stuff. More important than type of bait is to soak the traps across a slack tide when the water isn't moving much. And I like to drop the traps and troll around where I can keep an eye on them - especially during commercial prawning season, as some commercial guys have a real dislike for sport prawners. Also, some sporties are not too sporting and have no concern for emptying traps and sometimes stealing them. Barges and log booms can't dodge traps and often run through a trap line at night when they can't be seen. Pretty disheartening to lose a string.
Biggest thing is to prawn where there are prawns. Where I am there are plenty of spots to get prawns within easy run, so we are pretty spoiled.

Good luck!

Eat more prawns! Bonk them salmon! Filet them snappers!

There's lots of techniques, traps and methods of catching prawns, just like there is of catching salmon. Personally, I would get a prawn hauler if I had 50 lb traps! Since I have mostly lightweight, folding traps, its no big deal to pull traps by hand. I have a pulley on a long arm that bolts to by boat with one wingnut. And when I go prawning in the winter, its kinda' nice to get a bit of excersize.

Fisheries has got very serious about enforcing the two traps per line rule, pulling and confiscating traps. I used to hand pull 4 traps per line, so doing two per line is only a light workout.

Personally, I like to use catfood because its cheap and easy to use. 32 cents a can at wally world for the special kitty stuff. More important than type of bait is to soak the traps across a slack tide when the water isn't moving much. And I like to drop the traps and troll around where I can keep an eye on them - especially during commercial prawning season, as some commercial guys have a real dislike for sport prawners. Also, some sporties are not too sporting and have no concern for emptying traps and sometimes stealing them. Barges and log booms can't dodge traps and often run through a trap line at night when they can't be seen. Pretty disheartening to lose a string.
Biggest thing is to prawn where there are prawns. Where I am there are plenty of spots to get prawns within easy run, so we are pretty spoiled.

Good luck!

Good luck!

quote: The stainless are lighter, about 20 lbs each, the steel jobs also act as anchors as they weigh in at about 50.

could it be you over estimate the wieght of your fish as well ????

...nnaawwwwww.....not noggin!LOL

quote: The stainless are lighter, about 20 lbs each, the steel jobs also act as anchors as they weigh in at about 50.

You can still use 4 traps per line, you just have to have a marker or buoy on each end of the line.

Back