Not so fun motor issues

litke

Hey I have a 89 Johnson 60hp 3 cylinder and I over heated it a while ago and came in on my kicker. I changed the impellor, and did a head gasket. I took it out again for a run thinking that should do it after running it in a bucket for a hour or 2. The next day I took it for a run and it ran great for about 10 minutes on plane and the alarm went off again.
This time I thought it was the thermostat so I pulled that out and put a new one in. Then I took it out ran great on plane for about 10-20min fished for a few hours then started to head in and again after 10-20 min off went that damn alarm!.
So then I changed the head gasket again cause it leaked a bit so I double checked to see if I warped the head from the fist time she heated up or something and it was all fine. So out I went again after running it for 2-3 hours in a bucket and checking the temperature of all the cylinders, all were even. I think this has to be it so out I go again and 10-20min on plane and ALARM!
So I changed the temp sensor and the lower exhaust gasket thinking exhaust was leaking and pre-warming the water tube when on plane it didn’t help.
Now I’m ready to deep six it off the back of my boat I’m running out of ideas on why this keeps happening 10 – 20 minutes out of the harbour and running out of things to change. All this time I’m getting lots of cold water coming out of the water pee hole, anyone have any ideas? My only idea now is that something is wrong with the control box or alarm itself.
Other then this ordeal the motor has been trouble free for almost 20 years!

you might have sucked seaweed or something up, try taking a piece of wire and putting it up the intake tube to see if you can dislodge anything.
Could also maybe be the oil mixing ratio is off?????

next time it goes of take a temp reading of the block, and that will tell if its the alarm. could be a faulty thermostat. get a bucket of hot water and put it in and see if it opens all he way not just half. one or a couple of cooling passages are blocked maybe with salt build up or something. just phone a service guy and pick his brain for some suggestions.

Try taking off the cowl and put your hand on top of the motor next time the alarm goes off.
you should be able to leave your hand on it for 5 seconds without
burning unless it's overheated.
If it's overheated and still pissing, you would get very hot water/steam from the telltale.
Could be a wiring short on the alarm module.

If all the plugs look the same, none look washed (clean) then water isn't getting into cylinders and you can forget about head gasket or water jacket gaskets on the exhaust side. Is the engine steaming more than usual when the alarm goes off. Usually if you have an alarm, shut it down, wait a bit and restart it will steam more until it cools back to normal operating temp. If it isn't could be a faulty sensor. Not sure if that engine has a pressure relief valve, if it does, make sure it isn't stuck closed or open. It controls the extra water that spits out the top/back of the mid section.

Thanks so much for the ideas I will give them a shot and see what happens. I wish there was a way to load test the boat in the driveway as it always runs great in the driveway it would save so much time and frustration! I think I'm going to have to see if I can get a service guy to come for a boat ride. I have been using 2 really good mechanics for ideas and followed their instructions. I'm almost embarrassed to call them again.

Have you re-checked the impeller. Not too familiar with your outboard but maybe the key to hold it in place is worn or the impeller fins are not sealing against the housing.If the housing has a stainless insert it may need replacing. Also how does the water tube from the impeller housing to top end seal, Maybe one seal is worn or missing.
Good luck, hope you get it fixed sooner than later.

Thats a weird one. Definately verify that its actually overheating. Was there lots of salt buildup in the water jackets when you did the head? I would pull the lower unit again and recheck all water pump components including the water pick up for restrictions. Make sure to remove impellor wear plate to check gaskets.. Ive seen the gasket **** out before and would run fine at idle, but up on step it would suck air and overheat. After that, have a look at the copper pick up tube that runs up your mid section into your powerhead. Also the rubber grommet inside the impellor housing where the tube fits into.
Keep us posted.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

20 years??? Well that motor owes you nothing. Who knows what will give you grief next. Have you considered in getting a newer motor??

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Had same problem this summer. Mechanic came over and replaced impellor, and changed out thermostats. It was still running very hot, but not setting alarm off. He removed the thermostats and i am running without them. The motor will heat up but run cool. It is also an old motor and owes me nothing. Mechanics coming over to winterize and we will put the thermostats back in and see..

I would love to replace the motor and will seriously consider options once I get this sorted out but it would be nice to sell it for a a litle bit. After all this I have to say that these old Johnsons are a fairly simple motor and not a lot to them. I have now replaced just about everything so it could still prove to be a pretty good engine.

Island Fish lifter - Litke is my last name and most of my family is from Alberta.

When I overheated it the first time I could clearly see that I cooked the impellor which resulted in blowing that head gasket and washed plugs ( when I tryed to power up it was clear that I was running on 2 cylinders so I shut down right away!) The water jacket looked pretty good and clear but I was sure surprised of the carbon build up on the piston heads! The mechanic working on it at the time also noticed that one side of the engine was really hot and the other side was cool so we did the thermostat and that solved that. What’s really baffling to me is I have really good water pressure all the time when on plane and its cool water coming through. Also the motor head doesn’t feel too hot to the touch. I will check those water tube seals though as suggested by salmonkiller.
Guys I really do appreciate the info that you have all provided and the time you have taken to respond. I have learned a lot from the members on this site and really fallen for fishing again there was a large gap where I didn't fish after my grandfather passed. He was a avoid angler and hunter that I learnt alot from but after he passed I went quit a few years where I didn’t do any fishing or hunting but this forum has really got me excited about it again. I have fished for a few years in the Powell River area and now the Campbell River area for about the last 4 years. Enough about me its now time to get back to work on this motor!

If your looking to get some money for that engine, I'll tell you a secret. Its worth more in parts than it is as a 20 year old runner. Seriously, it is. It may take longer to collect it all but the leg is worth good money, the tilt motor, the electrics, the rods, the crank, the block,prop etc etc. When you have it all in parts to sell you'll also find out what your problem was to boot!:D

I have a 140, 1989 Evinrude, same thing was happining to me 5 years ago, alarm kept going off but my gage said running cool. Rod at Tipton's said the alarm sensors are a problem with that year. I disconnected the alarm buzzer, was so fed up, still running fine. I do have a temp gage though.

UPDATE

Haven’t forgotten about you I had a few other ideas over the winter and tried a few of your suggestions. I just got the boat in the water last week for a test and I'm still having the same problem. So still don't have it figured out yet but when I pulled the plugs this time they looked washed. [V]

I will let you know when I sort this out!

Back