My bow eye was loose

tubber

About 3 days ago I decided to undo, strengthen the attaching point, then re-install my bow eye on the 1977 17' whaler.
bow eye.jpg
The boat was painted years ago with a grey primer then an off white that began to peel, especially along the sides where they did not use much/any primer.
peeling side.jpg

Well one thing led to another and now I have sanded pretty much everything below the rub rail back to the original gelcoat. There are a number of old repairs using epoxies, marine tex, poly, and lord knows what, so even though the gelcoat looks good for the most part, matching it will be tough.
sanded side.jpg

I have a bone spur and a bit of compression in C5/6, so my shoulders aren't working right, but it's coming along.
I ground and added some mat to the keel and few other spots, gouged out some dings and pits with a dremel, then sanded and faired with thickened gelcoat. Will be rolling on new gel coat (Fibertek offwhite- they ship) tomorrow. Then I'll be wetsanding until it looks better than before, which won't take much. Sanding to a glossy finish, new rub rail, and topsides/deck can wait till I get 10 chinooks.
I found a nice lady that printed me new K numbers (that's right) and made accurate counterfeit Whaler logos.
When she called an hour after I called her, she said to pay with a case of MGD, so I did.
The remnants of the old vinyl house stickers for the name are gathered for some sort of renaming ceremony at a later date. WTF does Salmon Ho even mean?
I still need to go over all the fasteners topside and deal with an oil change and repacking bearings.
If last years gear is rusty, I have copies and doubles and enough crap to catch fish, so I won't get to that.

Covid, new kitchen, and new roof all got in the way of my plan to fish every month since I retired April 1.

Next pic will be after knocking down the gel and putting on the decals.

Last edited:
Great project, please post before, during and afters :) thank you for posting... :D

FYI - your above pictures didn't post correctly.

Sanded some faired spots, refaired some spots where it needed more, sanded again, blew the dust, wiped with acetone, then dusted again.
Mixed one small batch of gelcoat. I layed it on pretty heavy with a 4" brush bugs, tree bits and rain.jpg then tried to tip it out. It looked really good for a minute or two, then the wind came up and started blowing bugs and bits from the trees into it, then it started to thunder and rain.
It seems to be kicking fine and most of the bits are on the surface and I need to wetsand some anyway. Still raining.

after.jpg View attachment 54278 View attachment 54278 Managed to get everything except the part of the bottom aft of the forward part of the bunks re-coated with gel. I'll put the bow back down on the trailer and jack up the stern to get that bit done tomorrow.
re-gelled all the way around.jpg
the sides look pretty good compared to before.

peeling side.jpg

and the bow eye hole is looking better
bow eye now.jpg

I took a stab at wetsanding a small patch from yesterday. It came out pretty shiny, so I'll see where that leads.
Letting things kick off overnight.
I think I know where the other half of the bottom of the black plastic olive barrel is to replace the rusty fender and have a matching pair after about 5 years.

Last edited:
I went around and around with a spray bottle, a sanding block, and 220, 400, 600, 1000, and 1500 wet sandpaper. I could kick Ralph Macchio's butt now. Then a polish and wax. You have to be inside a meter to see the remains of any brush marks, but they are there. I had no interest in being too aggressive and having to re-apply gel. It looks decent and is a big impovement.
Bow eye is reinstalled. I crawled under the stern with the jack, then decided to let that part wait.
The only real issue I had is the gel would not kick at all on some epoxy spot repairs on the port side of the stern.
I washed with water and soap and water, and sanded with 40 grit, then washed with acetone. This morning I covered it with plastic, still no dice. I think I'll just leave it or see if I can find a spray can that's close in colour.
Tomorrow I'll re Sikka all interior screws, service the motors and take the dog lake fishing to see if he jumps overboard like last summer. Oh and apply the decals.
done for now.jpg
epoxy issues.jpg

I went around and around with a spray bottle, a sanding block, and 220, 400, 600, 1000, and 1500 wet sandpaper. I could kick Ralph Macchio's butt now. Then a polish and wax. You have to be inside a meter to see the remains of any brush marks, but they are there. I had no interest in being too aggressive and having to re-apply gel. It looks decent and is a big impovement.
Bow eye is reinstalled. I crawled under the stern with the jack, then decided to let that part wait.
The only real issue I had is the gel would not kick at all on some epoxy spot repairs on the port side of the stern.
I washed with water and soap and water, and sanded with 40 grit, then washed with acetone. This morning I covered it with plastic, still no dice. I think I'll just leave it or see if I can find a spray can that's close in colour.
Tomorrow I'll re Sikka all interior screws, service the motors and take the dog lake fishing to see if he jumps overboard like last summer. Oh and apply the decals.
View attachment 54311
View attachment 54312
Looking great! Ready to kill some fish

Phase 1 is done. Made it to Ukee via a midnight trip to the 5:15 ferry. Poured rain till now. Will fish tomorrow to Tuesday. FYI I Sikka'd the starboard trnsducer holder on on Tuesday and when I nudged it with the orange strap it fell right off. I cleaned it up and went it again with slightly thickened G flex and some tape. I removed the tape at the ferry and it seems to be holding. Also the small epoxied patches that I couldn't get the Gelcoat to cure on got a spray can of Krylon that matches relly well. We'll see if it stands up. There is lots of work to do on the interior over the winter and spring. Time to fish.young buck likes my new gelcoat.jpg

Back