Bow eye cracks....help please

kitman

Today I was cranking my boat onto the trailer, and saw some cracks beside the bow eye on the fiberglass or gelcoat , seems the cracks is getting longer from last couple time we used the boat.just wonder how big a deal is it? And is it still safe to trailering the boat around?
I have some photo attached .

I would be greatly appreciated if someone can give me some advice...thank you.

Attachments

• 20230703_213335.jpg
    20230703_213335.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230703_213323.jpg
    20230703_213323.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 80
My guess is it’s rotted out in behind, 99% sure it is actually, eventually it will pull out, don’t rely on it to hold your boat on the trailer. It’s not that big of a job if there is good access

Today I was cranking my boat onto the trailer, and saw some cracks beside the bow eye on the fiberglass or gelcoat , seems the cracks is getting longer from last couple time we used the boat.just wonder how big a deal is it? And is it still safe to trailering the boat around?
I have some photo attached .

I would be greatly appreciated if someone can give me some advice...thank you.
That's a fail. Unlikely to be any wood there. Remove the eye, then get in behind, clean up thoroughly and then use epoxy mash to set an 8"x 3" x 1/4" aluminum backing plate. Redrill and install the eye with 3M 4200 and threadlocker.

Looks like there might be no backing plate behind that. Happened to a friend where boat builder forgot to install one. The eye also looks on the small side. If you can correctly fit in a larger bow eye with thicker metal after repairing like @Foxsea mentions would be easier to get safety chain in there.

There no access from behind to fix it, anybody have good recommendations for shop that could fix the bow eye problem?

Attachments

• 20230704_165017.jpg
    20230704_165017.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230703_135900.jpg
    20230703_135900.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 64
The whalers had a through bolt style bow eye. That must be a copy? If you can gain access ( might be foam. Might not ) you could fabricate plates on both side and eliminate having do to fiberglass repairs. No telling what is inside until you cut a hole. Or maybe I just can't see the whole picture here... might end up being both glass reinforcement and backing plates. Need to gain access and have a look see

Kinds looks like under that nav light there could be access. You could cut a hole and make a plate to cover it. That would be easiest if it's possible. Hard to tell from pics

Last edited:
The whalers had a through bolt style bow eye. That must be a copy? If you can gain access ( might be foam. Might not ) you could fabricate plates on both side and eliminate having do to fiberglass repairs. No telling what is inside until you cut a hole. Or maybe I just can't see the whole picture here... might end up being both glass reinforcement and backing plates. Need to gain access and have a look see

Kinds looks like under that nav light there could be access. You could cut a hole and make a plate to cover it. That would be easiest if it's possible. Hard to tell from pics
Always good to have access to enclosed spaces. Cutting an appropriate hole and installing a plastic, screw in cover is a great idea.

Attachments

• 71ZspJaDkrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71ZspJaDkrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1
do you use tie downs on the transom to keep the boat secure on trailer or just the eye ? Go with tie downs on transom for piece of mind
Fibreglass is easy next time in Canadian tire check the fibreglass kits out, and ya looking like cutting a hole is needed so at that point I’d go with a screw plate as pictured in previous pic
you tube videos for tutorials and save a buck or two

do you use tie downs on the transom to keep the boat secure on trailer or just the eye ? Go with tie downs on transom for piece of mind
Fibreglass is easy next time in Canadian tire check the fibreglass kits out, and ya looking like cutting a hole is needed so at that point I’d go with a screw plate as pictured in previous pic
you tube videos for tutorials and save a buck or two
Yes I do use transom tie...thanks for advise

Not always, there is a video out there of a trophy with twins, with a big crack at the transom way out going tuna fishing that sinks on the video
I gotta see that! Link? I had a rotting transom on my 17.5' Olympic. Cut all that rotten wood out and replaced it. Pain in the arse but she's solid now.

Back