More, more, more. Everybody wants MORE!

D

Ding Dong!

More, more, more. Everybody wants MORE!

There simply may no longer be enough to satisfy our hunger. What will you do this year to help curb your desire and overwhelming passion to catch and kill species of fish?

This movie mostly shares with us what the commercial fishing industry from around the world are accomplishing by contributing to global decline.

As a sport-fisherman, all I read in almost every site that I query, is that, like the commercial sector our appetite for fish is contributing to the demise and total collapse of the passion to which we treasure. Granted, not within the same realm, but within the context of our desire, needs, wants, and egos.

I have often wondered how much fish is enough fish, and what can I do to make a difference? what can anyone do?

[U4_zLMNVqP4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U4_zLMNVqP4#!

Hi Ding Dong.

What's wrong wtih getting a couple of hali on a trip? Rec anglers are not going to contrbute to the demise of the halibut. The halibut TAC has been controlled bilaterally since 1927 (or thereabouts) so I wouldn't go light my hair on fire over a video on overfishing in a global context.

Halibut hasn't hit this yet and unfortunately it hasn't....
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpps/news/giant-tuna-sells-for-record-$396k-in-japan-dpgonc-20110105-fc_11308963

If there wasn't such an overflow in the freezers..chit wouldnt be as cheap as it is... guys would make a buck.
Agree, DD, that DFO is a problem but $$ is a big factor in the sceme of things

Interesting remarks, too bad none of you had taken the time to watch the entire video prior to posting. Perhaps then, you could comment more logically. That is all.

Ding Dong!

Ps. I don't give a two bits about halibut. I caught one last year and one five years ago. I love halibut, but I am not greedy. ;)

Oh, and double trouble, prior to posting in the future, please ensure that we are actually talking about the same thing. I understand that you mind is all wrapped up in hali right now, but not every topic is about halibut. Sometimes the topic is about bubble gum worms, tootsy rolls or maybe even about pet or movie. I did not mention halibut and nor was I employing.

Just thoughts, and just sayin'

Ding Dong!

Interesting remarks, too bad none of you had taken the time to watch the entire video prior to posting. Perhaps then, you could comment more logically. That is all.
I didn't find the time to watch any of it... I'll try again tomorrow

Hey DD if you are concerned about world fish stocks you should read the book. The book (which the movie is based on) goes into way more depth about the corruption of commercial fishing around the world.

I found two of the saddest things in that movie were the large percentage of the fish caught illegally and the situation in third world countries were the local people who rely on the fish to survive are being screwed by the larger countries coming in and depleting their food source for profit.

The book goes into way more depth about the possibilities of ranching the ocean, implementing more marine reserves, and cutting the world commercial fleet in half.

I think a person needs to do their own research into matters like these just like the author of the book has done. I would not take everything put out there as fact and there is alot of ways to interpret things along with different ways to put things across to folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed somewhat; Have read many, many papers. The concerning issue the human unwillingness to change. We as humans see the impacts that big business can create, but we ignore our own. No one notices a dime here, a quarter or a loonie, even a toonie here and there each day. However by the end of the month it sure adds up fast, doesn't it! Expand that over a year and then transfer that same thought onto fishing and then multiply that by hundreds of thousands of anglers fishing annually. Ya, there is no concern at all.

Ding Dong!

Thanks for posting this video. I watched the whole movie and find it all boils down to greed and money. Its almost like they are turning their backs and at the end will try and put the blame onto someone else. The super trawlers with net openings as large as 13 747 airplanes are rapeing our oceans and in fish farming it takes 10 lbs of fish made into to food to produce 1 lb of farmed fish. I don't believe everything I read but this movie is proof to me that the worlds ocean are not going to be able to support this kind of over fishing and wastefulness for much longer. I don't have the answers but if the governments don't start seeing the big picture there won't be any fish left for the next generation and I don't know about you but I don't want to be known as the generation that let the oceans die. I found this movie very interesting and recommend YOU watch it too!!!

Back