Lure Building

YachtMech

alright Im new but I think there should be a thread for this.

Lure Buliding, Salt, Fresh, Spin, fly, Troll. If you build them, show them off and trade tips.

I'll show mine if you show yours ;)

Attachments

• IMG-0475.jpg
    IMG-0475.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG-0476.jpg
    IMG-0476.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-0474.jpg
    IMG-0474.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 87
alright Im new but I think there should be a thread for this.

Lure Buliding, Salt, Fresh, Spin, fly, Troll. If you build them, show them off and trade tips.

I'll show mine if you show yours ;)
Those are awesome. Where do you get the lure blanks?

Those look very cool. Do you fish those and if so what species do you target?

I still paint a few spoons and plugs but not currently selling. So it’s pretty much back to just being a hobby. Way more fun with less responsibilities. I’ll post a few pics when time allows.

I still paint a few spoons and plugs but not currently selling. So it’s pretty much back to just being a hobby. Way more fun with less responsibilities. I’ll post a few pics when time allows.
Just wanted to tell you "Chilli" that I caught a nice 9# coho within the first 5 mins of fishing your 2-sided spoon last summer!
And a couple more during the season.

Just wanted to tell you "Chilli" that I caught a nice 9# coho within the first 5 mins of fishing your 2-sided spoon last summer!
And a couple more during the season.
That’s awesome. Hearing positive results never gets old.

mainly bass, I live near pitt marsh, TONS of good sized bass there, I plan on making some salmon plugs this year too!

Which brands of paints are you using?
Im using createx wicked for the most part, I have a few of their non wicked line and not so impressed, especially with the metalics or pearls. my Iwata hates their non wicked pearls.

I make things for friends, if they want to pay me then great, but its hard to make a buisiness on, Im happy doing commisioned stuff, but yeah hard to compeate when people can buy something similar for 8$ at walmart

I also use the Createx lines of paint. Wicked, Auto-Air and Createx are all used and often blended to find the right colors. Maple Airbrush Supply has been amazing to deal with.

I’ve found the pearls can really enhance colors and add the ability for light to reflect. The fish probably don’t care but I find it looks killer. To spray the pearls properly through my Iwata HP-CS I’ll change out to a .5mm needle and cap.

These recondition plugs were done for my own collection and a few buddies. A blended color combination that included pearls and UV. I’m not a big plug fisherman but these fooled a few fish near Campbell River this past summer.

Attachments

• 5D34E556-5414-4672-A503-BB7D49B105D3.jpeg
    5D34E556-5414-4672-A503-BB7D49B105D3.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 42
Dave Murphy from Murphy’s Sportfishing has carved out some sweet smaller plugs out of yellow cedar. He’s painted them up nicely and seems so do quite well on some of his local coastal freshwater lakes.

I would like to know how to get a set of metal stamp molds made like AP spoons my buddy has a killer trout lure and would like to reproduce it and how much it would cost

A die for making your own lures would costs you thousands of dollars for every size spoon plus the cost of the press. You better have your blank profile dialed in otherwise you may end up producing a lure that has a poor action.
Then the nickel plating process requires specialized equipment unless your stamping stainless steel. Most spoons are nickel plated brass.

Ask @IronNoggin about the cost of producing lures. His Iron Needles are a nice performing spoon that required a ton of R&D. Unfortunately these are no longer produced.

I also use the Createx lines of paint. Wicked, Auto-Air and Createx are all used and often blended to find the right colors. Maple Airbrush Supply has been amazing to deal with.

I’ve found the pearls can really enhance colors and add the ability for light to reflect. The fish probably don’t care but I find it looks killer. To spray the pearls properly through my Iwata HP-CS I’ll change out to a .5mm needle and cap.

These recondition plugs were done for my own collection and a few buddies. A blended color combination that included pearls and UV. I’m not a big plug fisherman but these fooled a few fish near Campbell River this past summer
Yeah Ive been dealing with maple airbrush too, great selection!! and yeah I cant be bothered to swap out needles on my hp-cs. the wicked pearls seem to be much better with the .35 tip than their general line of pearls

The Lingcod carving cut out

Attachments

• IMG-0692.jpg
    IMG-0692.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 54
Back