Installed Air Bags.

walleyes

Crew Member
The new Wellcraft comes in at just over 7000# so it squats my 2500 Duramax a little more than what I liked as well each fall when I load up the 26’ flat deck with 4 quads and all our hunting gear it squats it pretty good. I’m sick and tired of giving people the brights and in turn getting the brights back in my face lol.
Purchased a Firestone air bag kit from my local Bumper to Bumper, nice unit with remote control. It was about a 6 hour install all together. Kit was made to fit just had to make a couple minor adjustments and move a couple small brackets holding the brake lines as the head of the bolts were intruding with a couple of the bracket bolts. Mounted the air compressor and control box under the back seat inside a tray that I built a while back to hold items secure as this year of GMC didn’t have a built in tray as the 16 on does. Everything is in the cab and will keep clean out of the dust and easy to service if ever need be. There was an access point to the cab right under my mounting plate just had to remove a rubber plug.
Unit works great quick and quite very happy well worth the price.

w0FWPP8.jpg

Ix9FOGo.jpg

c1fiL2p.jpg

lpbqzHl.jpg

Looks great. I loved the airbags on my old F150. I needed them for my camper (which was overweight but still looked normal when airbags are pumped up). They are the best when you go pick up a load of gravel from the yard. Pump them up to 70 pounds and the truck hardly squats when they load a yard into the truck. I don't need them yet on my Ram 3500 but likely will get them in the future if I get a bigger camper.

Don't ever let the pressure go to 0 psi. You can do damage to the bag if you fully extend your suspension with 0 PSI in the airbag. Keep them at 5 psi minimum. I always drove around at 10 psi.

Looks good. They make the world of difference when towing. No oncoming traffic flashing lights thinking your high beams are on. Just read a 4 wheeler mag article they now make 7500lb 8" diameter monster bags for 1 tons.

I put a set of 500lb on my Tacoma when I did built the suspension. I used the "cradle" on the bottom. The bags are not attached to the axle on bottom, they droop down and then go back in a cradle when suspension travels up. This system does not limit rear travel, and will never over stretch bags. All else is same, I use my air locker compressor to inflate.

HM

The airlift1000 helper bags are a great lower prices assist bag. It fits in the spring and inflates for towing with your air compressor.

What remote did the unit come with? I have the same set up in my ram 3500 and my digital remote has failed twice on me. A friend of mine with the same unit had the issue as well, he ended up replacing his with a different model. Other than that its been a solid unit!

Would be good to know for sure. Do you know what he replaced his with.

Attachments

• F16165C9-BEB5-4182-A19C-5B5EA5D94565.jpeg
    F16165C9-BEB5-4182-A19C-5B5EA5D94565.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 36
Back