Gulf Islands 2012

is there any good fishing around tent island or thetis?? im in a brand new ssv lund with efi merc 25hp fourstroke but im only 16 and half no idea where to fish on the outside?? any reports

having a cabin on thetis, i can say for salmon your pretty well lucky to catch any on the inside. that being said, i have caught the odd chinook jigging buzz bombs around the the west side of Tent, right on the bottom in the sand, and the odd coho trolling a buzzbomb. all those fish i would consider fluke however, but if you put some time in near tent you might get lucky.

outside galiano, well, you go through polier, and go right till you find the reef about mid way down the island. troll around it, about 80ft down on the rigger, and patience. be careful, it can get nasty outside polier!

Fished Cable area off galiano yesterday for a couple of hours without any success. Lots of little guys. My friend caught a 22# marble the day before in 400 ft of aqua at 81 ft. Was using a 4.0 coyote kitchen sink. Off to try porlier today. Any other gulf islanders out there?? Talked to one other fellow who caught a teen at collinson pt on a white hootchie at 80 ft. A lady at mouat's told me she caught a 8# sock at the pender bluffs yesterday morn. Any other reports I'd love to hear em. Cheers. Lucky

Have been fishing out of Pender for the last couple of weeks. There were some Coho (hatchery and wild) offshore the Pender bluffs a few weeks ago and managed to get a couple but it seems like they have moved on. Very few boats fishing the bluffs and very few fish being caught. I have caught some small Springs around Coal Island and heard reports of a few off of Moresby but overall a real tough year so far. Out this morning at Coal and fished south around Moresby and Brethour. No fish. Water temp seems warm and perhaps that is keeping them away? Very disappointing year after a great year last year.

I gave the out side of Porlier, south for a mile of so, a good rub yesterday from the mid morning through the slack tide. Needed to watch for 7 inch juvenile chinook attacking my 4 inch anchovies, but was rewarded by a 20 lbs male red spring at 120 ft, just before the tide change. Not much on the sounder, My usual hangouts up around Thrasher Rock have been very slow for me lately, but the run south got the skunk off.

well, fished around the insde of porlier yesterday from about 10:45 till the slack tide, tried all kinds of depths and a few different pieces of hardware and rubber. I guess i was on the wrong side and had the wrong bait lol. took my kids to montaque harbour for lunch and visited the marine center there.....made the most of a dissapointing day fishing. It looked like princess had a puke boat fishing in the pass , there must have been 8 or 9 people jigging on that ship.

Has anyone had any luck fishing at the south end of Saturna Island? I fished there for thirty minutes today and got a strike but whatever it was got off. Anyone with any success there?

I've never fished saturna but with all the fish come around the southern end of vancouver island and towards the Fraser I would think the area around east point and tumbo island would have quite a few salmon passing by. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has fished the area.

On another note, I fished the east side I Galiano yesterday with only a few shakers in 4 hrs. Pretty damn slow. Anyone else getting into any chrome? Has pender bluffs been ok?

Was out in polier for a couple hours yesterday. trolled from 10:30 to 12:30 - noted 4 boats trolling... never saw any nets out. fish on the sounder under 110 feet... with the manual down riggers i didn't want to go much further.. as they were not serviced this year. not a touch. spoon on oneside, flasher on the other. then again my effort was pretty low as i didnt make it out first light.

my down rigger line frayed and i decided to jig the bottom for springs, seeing as they where all on the bottom. rewarded with a 30 lb lingcod, who bit the 4 lb rockcod who bit the jig in 150 feet... biggest ling i have ever caught on the inside. kept that big ling, and released about 4 others in the 6-15 lb range. felt like a bit of a A$$hole for keeping the big one... but there's quite a few of them out there now, and its the first one i have kept in years.

Outback. what kind of jig, and how heavy was it. I always wonder what to use for jigging salmon, especially with heavier currents. cheers lucky

Outback. what kind of jig, and how heavy was it. I always wonder what to use for jigging salmon, especially with heavier currents. cheers lucky

Honestly it was just a large sting Zelda. we got pretty lucky... No wind, and minimal current. like i said, the big one bit a 4 lb rock cod, so it wasn't exactly the jig. the smaller ones did however. as soon as we landed the big ling, our lines were 60 degrees sidways and we packed it in then.

as for jigging for salmon... anything works. i have watched numerous salmon grab at 4 oz weights, and completely ignore the bait / hook attached to it.

I will be staying on North Pender for the weekend and of course plan to do some fishing. Any advice about where to fish right now at Pender?

Pender bluffs on the south side of North pender, west of bedwell harbor.

48°44'45"N
123°16'11"W

Please reciprocate info for someone else in future :)

Any recent sightings of salmon around Moresby, Pender, or towards Cowichan/Sansum? I'm looking for some coho fishing with my son if there is any potential around sidney/north saanich this weekend.

hey guys......any word on the fishing off the pender bluffs or cable area off galiano??? or????other gulf island spot.

cheers lucky

x2 on that question. I'll be out that way this weekend too.

Anyone tried Sansum Narrows/Bold bluffs area? I saw buried in the fine print of an outfitters report that someone nailed a 30lb jigging there a few weeks back

Back