Gas prices

With what is going on in the Middle East look for it to be an expensive summer for fueling our trucks and boats. Not much to be done about it except enjoy time on the water all that much more.

Gas prices should be subject to the same controls as other utilities like natural gas, electricity etc. I.e., suppliers need to apply to the Utilities Commission before price increases can be justified. Oil-friendly governments in power make that scenario unlikely any time soon, but it would be a just way to handle the situation. Remember the crude oil prices we see quoted are 3-month futures, price volatility is damped by the time frame in reality but not at the pump. Price increases coming into weekends and seasonal travel periods that we suffer as normal now would be indefensible to a review committee.

When you think of it, why should they? Higher prices mean more tax money paid in and that means an extra week in Cuba in January studying the economy. ;-)

Gas prices should be subject to the same controls as other utilities like natural gas, electricity etc. I.e., suppliers need to apply to the Utilities Commission before price increases can be justified. Oil-friendly governments in power make that scenario unlikely any time soon, but it would be a just way to handle the situation. Remember the crude oil prices we see quoted are 3-month futures, price volatility is damped by the time frame in reality but not at the pump. Price increases coming into weekends and seasonal travel periods that we suffer as normal now would be indefensible to a review committee.

155.9 cents a litre Westside Vancouver on the Mainland.

2 days ago it was 130.9 at the Denman Island Ferry Terminal.

The Middle East thing shouldn't effect us either I thought we didn't really purchase fossil fuel from them canada/US produces enough. I could be mistaken

Just wait once endbridge is through Middle East chaos WILL effect us since we will be competing with Europe and China for our own resources.

I notice that the price fluctuates all over the place even with the same brand.

So if they are that worried about the Middle East , why the location fluctuations?

And....lower prices in places where geographically it costs more to deliver the fuel to.

Any excuse for a cash-grab is what it looks like to me.........

i have never understood some of the geographical differences either, but one aspect is the different local transit taxes, etc (Victoria for example).

Another difference between some suppliers is whether the gas station owns or rents/leases the land they are situated on - more in urban areas, this can contribute to a few cent difference between relatively close stations after all costs are considered...

an oil rich country like we are.... we should be refining it our self's and giving us Canadians a break, and gouging the rest of the world !!!
maybe then I'd be for a for a pipeline ????
I don't know !

Oil is a commodity like grain and gold. Other than transportation costs it really doesn't matter where it is produced it will still end up with the highest bidder whether that bidder is close by in North America or across the Pacific in China. If a major supply is disrupted the price will go up . . . always has.

I just hate to see this country get Screwed out of some ****** deal Harper does!

Remember Hibernia.... were still only getting 2/3 of a barrel ! Billions lost over 20 or so years

an oil rich country like we are.... we should be refining it our self's and giving us Canadians a break, and gouging the rest of the world !!!
maybe then I'd be for a for a pipeline ????
I don't know !

yup - what he said!!

Crude price seems almost a side issue. 2008, world credit crisis causes oil to shoot to a record high $140/barrel, gas on the street hit unheard of $1.50/L. Today oil is barely $100/barrel yet here we are at same retail price. Scam.

Pricing collusion is very evident but not proven. Treat the industry like the utility provider they are.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

the US has been producing more refined product than is being consumed by the local market place. fracking is the reason this is happening. yet the prices continue to climb as big oil and gas will take advantage of any situation to increase their already obscene profits. regulating them as a 'utility' is never going to happen as virtually every elected official has their hands in that money pot. bend over and spread'um folks big oil and gas operating as usual.

Glad to see diesel is cheaper than regular at least! We head out that way Wednesday, so it's a little bit of good news in a way.

Locally regular gas is sitting at 126.9 for the most part, it took an $0.11 jump overnight a couple of nights ago. Costco is still $0.05 cheaper, but doesn't help not having diesel.

Back