Dummy flasher help.

The rationale behind not using inline flashers is simple - it provides a better fight for the guest.

Every lodge has a different approach and provides a different experience. Some lodges opt to forgo the downriggers entirely, and strictly cut-plug mooch. Some fish with inlines and some fish with dummies. Some are geared more towards tubbing out, and others focus on providing a more "sporting" experience at the cost of productivity. Despite everybodys grande vision of fishing in the Haida Gwaii, there are of course slow days where throwing down an inline setup would produce more. If thats what the guests want then I have no problem accommodating, but most are there for the experience and the scenery. The choice between another bite here and there vs the thrill of a pure 1vs1 tug of war with a fish sans-flasher is a no-brainer for most, and most days there are more than enough bites to go around anyways. Our lodge has 3day and 4day packages, so filling a 2day limit over the duration of a trip is reasonable even if the fishing is slow. Some guests dont retain any fish but they still go home with sore arms!

And just to clarify in terms of sheer volume of hookups:
inline hotspot > dummy hotspot > dummy agitator > kelp wrapped on downrigger line

interesting... i have one question did u ever switch the sides of the boat with the flashers were running?
At times I fished agitators on both sides or dummies on both sides, and even both at once on both sides, but generally when I fished 1 of each the agitator would be on the kicker side because our kickers dont have prop guards!

At times I fished agitators on both sides or dummies on both sides, and even both at once on both sides, but generally when I fished 1 of each the agitator would be on the kicker side because our kickers dont have prop guards!

Okay.. I was just wondering :) i have found over the years that sometimes and not always there a hot side on a boat ...where one side always out fishes the other...:D

Okay.. I was just wondering :) i have found over the years that sometimes and not always there a hot side on a boat ...where one side always out fishes the other...:D
On the bayliner the Port side outfished the starboard 4:1
I think it had something to do wth the vibration from the kicker on that side.

My partner was out fishing me despite using the same gear and depth. was setting his gear further out behind the boat

tricky *******

Commercial trollers typically don’t fish all flashers when fishing springs as too many flashers does spook springs. It is common practice to alternate a flasher/hootchie with bare spoons or plugs spaced apart at 12 or 15 feet.

My early experience trolling springs saw a plug on bottom, 12 feet above a flasher/hootchie and 12 feet above a bare spoon. This pattern was duplicated again only if fishing deeper water. Each of the 6 deep lines was rigged in a similar fashion.

Commercial trollers typically don’t fish all flashers when fishing springs as too many flashers does spook springs. It is common practice to alternate a flasher/hootchie with bare spoons or plugs spaced apart at 12 or 15 feet.

My early experience trolling springs saw a plug on bottom, 12 feet above a flasher/hootchie and 12 feet above a bare spoon. This pattern was duplicated again only if fishing deeper water. Each of the 6 deep lines was rigged in a similar fashion.
100% doing that next time. Love fishing 6 rods. :p

The rationale behind not using inline flashers is simple - it provides a better fight for the guest.

The choice between another bite here and there vs the thrill of a pure 1vs1 tug of war with a fish sans-flasher is a no-brainer for most, and most days there are more than enough bites to go around anyways.

I agree and I have say to that the value of the resource is in the experience to the sport fisher. And given the dire straits of our salmon stocks, there has to be a shift to more emphasis on the experience and less on filling the tub in my opinion.

Every lodge has a different approach and provides a different experience. Some lodges opt to forgo the downriggers entirely, and strictly cut-plug mooch. Some fish with inlines and some fish with dummies. Some are geared more towards tubbing out, and others focus on providing a more "sporting" experience at the cost of productivity. Despite everybodys grande vision of fishing in the Haida Gwaii, there are of course slow days where throwing down an inline setup would produce more. If thats what the guests want then I have no problem accommodating, but most are there for the experience and the scenery. The choice between another bite here and there vs the thrill of a pure 1vs1 tug of war with a fish sans-flasher is a no-brainer for most, and most days there are more than enough bites to go around anyways. Our lodge has 3day and 4day packages, so filling a 2day limit over the duration of a trip is reasonable even if the fishing is slow. Some guests dont retain any fish but they still go home with sore arms!

And just to clarify in terms of sheer volume of hookups:
inline hotspot > dummy hotspot > dummy agitator > kelp wrapped on downrigger line

Speaking of different approaches by lodges, I think I read somewhere that one lodge was giving Islander mooching reels to guests who release the spring they catch, if it’s over 40 pounds. Any truth to that? If so, great idea.

Don’t give me that. Anytime a “braid is better”quote comes up, you make it sound like steel wire was crafted from the smiles of unicorns.
Edit: braid is better.
My manuals and now my 2106s have braid. I used steel on my buddies riggers that I used to borrow. I'm still not sold on the braid though.

Speaking of different approaches by lodges, I think I read somewhere that one lodge was giving Islander mooching reels to guests who release the spring they catch, if it’s over 40 pounds. Any truth to that? If so, great idea.

Duncanby Lodge has been giving away custom carved Peetz reels for the last couple of years to any guest who releases a chinook over 30lbs.

They both catch fish. Unless it’s in my boat.
They both catch fish. And both have their pros and cons. I would imagine that of all the variables/choices in fishing this one is pretty low on the priority list.

Back