Downrigger line retriever

I see a lot of boats with downriggers have a string that attaches to a plastic loop that goes around the downrigger line so it's easy to pull the line towards the boat so you can grab the quick release. I know Scotty makes this setup but I don't want to remove all my end loops on the riggers. Is there any other way to add this functionality without removing the loops at the end of the line? Maybe just using a carabiner to click onto the line?

I see a lot of boats with downriggers have a string that attaches to a plastic loop that goes around the downrigger line so it's easy to pull the line towards the boat so you can grab the quick release. I know Scotty makes this setup but I don't want to remove all my end loops on the riggers. Is there any other way to add this functionality without removing the loops at the end of the line? Maybe just using a carabiner to click onto the line?

If you are running gangion line with/without a coastal lock you should be able to thread it through the centre of the yellow donut ring no problem (works for me at least), but if you use the rubber bumpers (they look like a little black barrel) or any bulky snubber setups you will need to re-tie. Worth the hassle IMO, and if you're running braid you really should retie every few weeks anyway to avoid knot failures.

The Scotty line retrievers are awesome, I see a lot of folks without them. Not sure why you wouldn't want to use them, to each his own I guess.

WHY when you have swivel bases to turn riggers towards you....more money and hassles ive tried them dont really like them but to each there own....

As Wolf said, I have them but never use them, find myself turning riggers forward and grabbing clip. Makes me nervous when pulling the braid on them.

HM

All depends on your setup. If you have the 60" boom then the cannonball retriever makes a lot of sense. Or if you have the shorter boom but have mounted the riggers well aft to avoid angled lines catching the prop. But a lot of downrigger owners find it just as easy to lift the boom up and grab the ball as it swings to ward them.

I normally just lift the boom up to retrieve the line but after getting the tip of the rod cut under it and breaking the rod, I have stopped. And since mine are closer to the rear of the boat swivelling won't work, which is why I liked the idea of the string retriever.

For me, they are a huge relief on my back. Tilting the rigger up with 60" boom and 15# lead tends to wear on you after several hours of fishing, especially when you are shaking a lot of fish. Also makes it possible for my 10yr old to clear gear when we hook up.

My base also starts to slip after a couple seasons and needs to be replaced, mostly due to hanging up bottom. Like to minimize the unnecessary movement of moving parts for the sake of longevity.

Been using them for 6 yrs now with no rubbing issues on the braid.

Do what works for you...

Used scotty line retrievers and found pulling the attached braided string hard on the fingers (rope burn) especially when pulling a 15 or 18 lb ball towards the boat on a extended arm.
Found it easier on the fingers to retrieve the ball so its still under the water (no chance of banging boat on rough days), then grab the release clip line with my gaff. If i am bringing the riggers in because a fish is on then i will swing them in catching the ball/snubber beside the boat.

Used scotty line retrievers and found pulling the attached braided string hard on the fingers (rope burn) especially when pulling a 15 or 18 lb ball towards the boat on a extended arm.
Found it easier on the fingers to retrieve the ball so its still under the water (no chance of banging boat on rough days), then grab the release clip line with my gaff. If i am bringing the riggers in because a fish is on then i will swing them in catching the ball/snubber beside the boat.
Know exactly what you're talking about. To avoid that (and more back strain) I simply hold the line and walk backward a step to retrieve. Saves the fingers and lower back.

Pulling and lifting all day long for days on end really hurts the back after a while hence why have my riggers far forward and trust me when fish is on swivel them forward so my net and everything is clear for me to land fish, if are riggers in way people ALWAYS seem to find a way putting fish into it.....
i go by the kiss system less **** to get tangles in stuff the better.......

My buddy has a handy little extendable hook (black plastic hook on an aluminum pole) on his boat which works great. Looks like a gaff - when you need to grab the release clip just hook it and pull it in....pretty easy system if you have a place to store it when not needed.

My buddy has a handy little extendable hook (black plastic hook on an aluminum pole) on his boat which works great. Looks like a gaff - when you need to grab the release clip just hook it and pull it in....pretty easy system if you have a place to store it when not needed.
This is what I do.I run 48" long Scotty release clips and run my booms extended aproximately 42-44".That way when I
pull the clip to the boat I just drape it over the gunnel and it stays there while I check/rebait>Works like a hot damn
and I only have to lift the boom when deploying the cannonball first thing in the morning, and when it comes back into the boat at the end of the day.Lifting that boom constantly gets old real quick!

Retriever, gaff, no retriever all work. I've tried them all. Do what you like best.
I made my own with the blue rings and some halibut gangen. You don't need the 8 shaped plastic thing or black rope holder if you have a rail or something to tie off to.
The most important function of the retriever is to catch weeds before they slide down to your clip. That's why I make mine long, so they can troll along a few inches below the surface even if I go fast for plugs.

The most important function of the retriever is to catch weeds before they slide down to your clip. That's why I make mine long, so they can troll along a few inches below the surface even if I go fast for plugs.
Great idea

I use my gaff. I have been out with guys that use a long leash on their retrievers and I thought that was the best thing about them (keeping weeds off the riggers).

Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue but do not pair the retrievers up with Scotty sure stops or the blue tuna cord. The yellow "doughnut" will eventually cause the cord/stop to wear and snap. Have lost a few cannonballs to this and it's evident as there are grooves worn into the doughnut. I too run them just under the surface as "crap catchers". Another good trick if your running heavy lead (20# on our side riggers) is to double up on your snubbers haven't had one fail yet but they get stretched out pretty quick.

I do have the yellow sliders, and use them occasionally, but I prefer using my gaff. You can directly grab the release clip. I only pull in the downrigger line when I'm stacking (to attach/detach the upper clip), but as wolf says, it gets hard on the back day in day out.

As for the hassle of recrimping your end terminal tackle, maybe it's time to do it anyway? The crimped part ends up being a weak point.

I've got arms like an Orangutan, so reaching the rigger wire or clip is not an issue for me, but I do have a simple notch cut into the end of my "Stick". ( Simple piece of wood with marks measuring legal lengths for salmon, cod etc) I use it to measure questionably legal fish while they're still in the water.

Back