Cowichan Valley Windstorm

CanuckCTD

Looks like power is out in the Shawnigan/Mill Bay/Cobblehill Area. Seen some pictures of wrecked boathouses at Maple Bay as well. Hope everybody is safe.

Was down fishing on the river in the morning with a buddy when it hit.Trees were crashing everywhere.When the big gusts came
through it sounded like a freight train,and the trees snapping sounded like gunshots.Made a a run for it back to parking lot and we both got smacked by several branches along the way,but fortunately none of any size.We were lucky to get out of there in one piece.Lived here my whole 51 year life and never seen anything like it.It was a perfectly calm day
and it just came out of nowhere

What a gong show. Things are just getting back to normal as of hour ago it was a really bad storm where we were.

Shawnigan Lake was an absolute mess and winds gusting at close to 90k in the south direction after heavy rainfall. That is about the worst direction for the area and things start to snap. The center of that storm went right through lake and smashed near masons store sending a tree over the apartment building and tree across bridge at the creek.Power was knocked out by us at 11 yesterday morning. Several trees went down and all of yesterday we were blocked on both streets to our house. Luckily we were home. We still have at least 4 to 5 down around us..A few cables actually just sitting on road.

The joke is of course stressed right out today no generator so we lost all of stuff in fridge. But was worried about the fish in freezer but luckily had a neighbor come by with generator for a few hours early in am. Then we had the check6 CNN style news report saying we wouldn't get power until late tomorrow night. Flew into Home depot tonight ( just had to get something) . Flew home hooked in generator just got it broke in. Plugged it on freezer, etc. and wham lights when on! F@@#!

Oh well now I have my backup to freezer and house now. I haven't seen that amount of trees go down here for a while. Luckily no one was hurt.... It has made us take a closer look at earthquake preparedness, and being we only have two access points around lake. It caught many families off guard here. Thank god for the wood stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was down fishing on the river in the morning with a buddy when it hit.Trees were crashing everywhere.When the big gusts came
through it sounded like a freight train,and the trees snapping sounded like gunshots.Made a a run for it back to parking lot and we both got smacked by several branches along the way,but fortunately none of any size.We were lucky to get out of there in one piece.Lived here my whole 51 year life and never seen anything like it.It was a perfectly calm day
and it just came out of nowhere

Yeah that is how it happened here...How was river fishing I am waiting...now. The levels got pushed up insane last day. The river's smoking now almost near 2.0....High and fast. Going to take at least 4 to 5 days to get back to fish able again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back