Costco Kirkland Marine Deep Cycle Battery

One thing too note is that Costco did sell proper deep cycle batteries (at least when I bought mine a couple years ago) but also those hybrid ones you speak of. They look a little different, the decal is a lighter blue. They are great I have two 24s in parallel and they have been good to me. I do not use them to start, as deep cycle batteries do not like the sting of big engine starter motors, I have a different battery for that with an ACR installed. I do keep them on a genius and check the acid levels regularly.

I would tend to not rely on the experience of others when it comes to boat batteries - way too many variables on how there are used/maintained; especially the deep cycles as they get damaged from improper charging (especially overcharging) easier than starting batteries.
AGM is popular as deep cycles in boats for a few reasons; they can be safely discharged to less than 50% & still maintain descent life, they don't self-discharge as much, and they can accept a faster charge, which is popular for sailboaters who often only run the engine to charge the battery. On the downside to maintain great battery life they need to be charged using a different charging profile than a standard lead acid battery & most if not all marine engine battery charging circuits are set to charge lead-acid. Buy batteries that can be properly charged with what your engine supports. Realize that your engine charger will most likely overcharge the deep cycle resulting in the battery not lasting as long as it would if charged ideally. This might mean replacing the battery every 3 years versus every 5. You COULD use a deep cycle bank large enough to satisfy your power needs while discharging to 50% or less & plug them into a shore charger using a charging profile for deep cycle/AGM and maintain the longer battery life. My 8d's weigh 150# or so & cost $800 (x2) so I baby them.

ericl, are you stating that using a good deep cycle 12V battery in your boat as both a starting and house battery would damage it? My main motor does not draw any more than 250-300 amps when the engine is cranking and most deep cycle batteries have CCA greater than 550amps. If my main outboard engine has an 35amp alternator, I assume that I won't get 35amps unless I was at WOT. Most of the time I am running my main engine at 70-80% WOT which likely only provide a 20-25amp charging output... Would charging the 12V deep cycle battery at 25amps damage a deep cycle?

ericl, are you stating that using a good deep cycle 12V battery in your boat as both a starting and house battery would damage it?
No. I am saying that the stock charging system will tend to overcharge a deep cycle battery. Look at Balmar's programmable charging regulators to see what this issue is. I am also saying that if you mis-use a great battery that it will perform like a poor battery (short lifespan).
Would charging the 12V deep cycle battery at 25amps damage a deep cycle?
See this article; it is more the incorrect voltage versus too much current that reduces battery life, and as stated in the article there are compromises made when charging batteries

In reality it may be best to use the stock charging system for both staring & deep cycle & keep in mind that the deep cycle batteries will need to be replaced, and you need to recognize the symptoms of a failing battery (won't power your stuff as long as it used to when new). If you choose this route then I would tend to say cost should be the most important factor when choosing deep cycles. If you don't run the downriggers when the deep cycle is not being charged, you can save money by using a smaller deep cycle; you can run each downrigger for an hour per day & only use 15 amp hours of battery power.

2 Quotes from an article I read last week.

Dock Talk & Battery Life Gossip:​

"Owner to owner, dock talk, or dock gossip is essentially as useless as boobs on a bull and not meaningful. It could only be meaningful if you have a baseline for comparison & consistency and everyone used their batteries identically, and we simply don’t. Bottom line, ignore dock talk on battery life and learn how to test your own batteries for their true deliverable Ah capacity."

"Don’t laugh, if I had a dime for every boat I have seen using starting batteries as deep cycle banks I would be much further ahead towards retirement."

What’s the difference?

"Starting batteries should not be used for deep cycling, but deep cycle batteries can easily be used for most starting purposes. I use deep cycle batteries for starting on almost all sailboat installations. Why? They last longer and can be called upon for cycling if or when the house bank fails. A small aux diesel engine can be started by even a PWC battery so a decent deep cycle house bank makes easy work of motor starting"

This marinehowto.com is a great resource and has several detailed articles on batteries and many other topics.

I just found out that my batteries are actually opposite of what they should be, meaning the house battery is actually a cranking battery and my starting battery is a deep cycle battery. I had never had an issue so no reason to look to see how thing were wired. Bought the boat new in 2014 so these are or original. Only discovered this when my house battery died when boat was on the trailer for 3 weeks. When checking where the draw down came from I discovered that the house battery was tied to the Cranking Battery. (Both batteries are Interstate)

I've contacted the Factory and the dealer where I bought it to see how/why it's like this but no response from either yet. The Cranking Battery has it noted on the top of the battery with 1" letters so hard to believe someone made that mistake.

FYI

I ran dual Kirkland Deep Cycle batteries for the last 12 or 13 yrs running a 200 Honda. Not knowing any better, I just left the battery switch on the both batteries position. I changed out the batteries every 5 yrs. Never had a problem.

I have dual kirkland Batteries in my boat as well one 9 years old the other 5 so i cant complain i figure anything over 5 years is a bonus

One way to get longer life out of your batteries is to use digital smart charger to keep them properly charged up when not running the boat. I have one installed in my boat and I just plug it in when needed. Like this: https://no.co/products/charging/onboard

Second thing is if you have more than one battery (e.g. starting battery and deep cycle battery) install an Automatic Charging Relay (ACR) switch like this: https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/35/Automatic_Charging_Relays to reduce over and under charging your battery while underway and to prevent a weaker battery from draining power from a stronger battery thus helping to prolong battery life. Ever since I have done this I have had no battery problems.

Just looking for a new battery. Costco Marine battery from 06/09 just gave up the ghost. Trying to buy another but our local costco says they can't sell them right now as they are not essential. Is interstate still a good option to replace?

Costco batteries are rebranded Exide batteries in BC anyway.

Sherwood Marine, Mercury Marine, Canadian Tire, Napa are Eastpenn batteries.

Both Eastpenn and Interstate have two different quality levels of most batteries. Do your due diligence to get the better of the two levels.

As mentioned above properly looking after your batteries and the right battery for the application is key to life expectancy

get a northstar AGM - the 103Ah version is great for boats.
kirkland lasted me 18 months before going bad. the northstar is going on 2.5 years without losing capacity. costco did provide a full refund though.
So just buy a Costco battery, then in 18 months, return it, get refund, buy another. Repeat. Cost of one battery will get you batteries for life as long as their return policy never changes. ;)

So just buy a Costco battery, then in 18 months, return it, get refund, buy another. Repeat. Cost of one battery will get you batteries for life as long as their return policy never changes. ;)
If enough people do this, their return policy will most definitely change.

If enough people do this, their return policy will most definitely change.
I wasn't serious, but that said you can guarantee some people actually do this.

Really though, if you are returning the battery because it is actually $h*& and not lasting that long, I see no problem with it. That is a warranty issue. If you are returning just to get new when the battery is fine, then no issue.

Does Costco not pro-rate their returns on batteries? Probably why battery warranties (and tires too I believe) are all pro-rated...

I took a battery back to Costco that died prematurely. They credited me the price I paid (they looked it up). Then I purchased a replacement which had gone up a little.

Don’t think they are there any more.
Polar battery in burnaby has Northstar. Not cheap, but high end batteries.

I'm a fan of a quality boat battery, we need them to work and not be wondering if ill be returning them every 18 months. A good hybrid starting AGM is piece of mind.

House banks you can start experimenting, hard to beat the value of two cheap 6vs. Only lithium has a better life cycle costs than cheap 6 volts.

All of this falls apart if they aren't maintained.

Back