Any deals on AGM batteries?

Max123

Just wanted to see if anyone has a source/recommendation for good marine AGM batteries available in the Lower Mainland.

I originally wanted to buy the Energizer AGMs sold at Costco (good deal, well reviewed), but they currently only sell the automotive version and don't have any available for Marine with the extra threaded stud. Website says they are $269, but in store they are listed at $249.

Any other recommendations in the group 24 or 27 class, or should I just grab the automotive version and get a post adapter with threaded studs?

PS - its for a starting battery - not for house.

Polar Battery sells Rolls batteries for a decent price, and they have a good warranty

There is a reputable company called East Penn that makes AGM batteries. Canadian Tire carries a re-branded East Penn. I recently bought a 31 for my boat. They have the 24 and the 27. Two year warranty. Do you know what your cranking needs are? I matched or exceeded what the manual said for my Mercury 115 in all aspects with the 31.

Here is their 27 with 900 marine cranking amps:

For marine cranking amps multiply cold cranking amps x 1.25, so marine cranking amps on a 720 battery would be 900. 800 cca is 1000 mca etc.

I looked at the Costco lineup as well, and they didn’t carry the big one anymore, and the smaller ones I believe are online only but I think you would pick it up at the tire and battery shop wherever you had it delivered to.

The difference in the Costco battery for online and warehouse is probably because there is free shipping with the online version, if you buy at the warehouse, they don’t have to ship it to you for free.

Last edited:
There is a reputable company called East Penn that makes AGM batteries. Canadian Tire carries a re-branded East Penn. I recently bought a 31 for my boat. They have the 24 and the 27. Two year warranty. Do you know what your cranking needs are? I matched or exceeded what the manual said for my Mercury 115 in all aspects with the 31.

Here is their 27 with 900 marine cranking amps:

For marine cranking amps multiply cold cranking amps x 1.25, so marine cranking amps on a 720 battery would be 900. 800 cca is 1000 mca etc.

I looked at the Costco lineup as well, and they didn’t carry the big one anymore, and the smaller ones I believe are online only but I think you would pick it up at the tire and battery shop wherever you had it delivered to.

The difference in the Costco battery for online and warehouse is probably because there is free shipping with the online version, if you buy at the warehouse, they don’t have to ship it to you for free.
East Penn AGMs are great. Had a Deka Intimidator in my Jeep and it was awesome for camping, running the winch etc.

East Penn AGMs are great. Had a Deka Intimidator in my Jeep and it was awesome for camping, running the winch etc.
They were highly recommended by an electrical engineer nerd friend of mine. He has one in his boat, but it’s the name brand East Penn.

I’ve always bought interstate batteries right from interstate because they are good and the price is right. Never had any issues. I’ve never bought their agm batteries though but they do have them and I imagine they are good instead of getting the most low budget battery available

They were highly recommended by an electrical engineer nerd friend of mine. He has one in his boat, but it’s the name brand East Penn
The Deka Intimidator line is geared to the off-road/racing market. Made by East Penn. They were the obvious winner compared to Optimas for build quality, price and longevity. Not sure if they turned it around, but Optima had a lot of failures in off-road applications and sort of fell out of favour.

I’ve always bought interstate batteries right from interstate because they are good and the price is right. Never had any issues. I’ve never bought their agm batteries though but they do have them and I imagine they are good instead of getting the most low budget battery available
I wanted AGM because my kicker does not have a charging set up and I’m just running one big battery now, so my Garmin, etc. are running off the battery without it being charged until I start the main at the end of the day. That was the whole idea, it’s almost like running two batteries in one when you get a big AGM.

I wanted AGM because my kicker does not have a charging set up and I’m just running one big battery now, so my Garmin, etc. are running off the battery without it being charged until I start the main at the end of the day. That was the whole idea, it’s almost like running two batteries in one when you get a big AGM.
With that route, make sure you have a battery booster pack. I like having the two batteries for piece of mind. But one of my kickers charges so that’s piece of mind too. But I always have a booster pack for if something ever dies

With that route, make sure you have a battery booster pack. I like having the two batteries for piece of mind. But one of my kickers charges so that’s piece of mind too. But I always have a booster pack for if something ever dies
Way ahead of you, big fella. :cool: GB40.

I can also set an alarm for the voltage read out on the Garmin device and when the battery gets down to a certain point, it will tell me and I could start the main with lots of life left. I won’t drain it below 50% because that’s when you start losing battery health.

I've got 5 of the Costco Group31 AGM and I'm VERY happy with them, worth every penny, waay more power than I had. They come in the spring so should see stock any day now in store if willing to wait. I wouldn't hesitate to get online though as they also go out of stock. I also just replaced my Costco diesel truck batts, (because they were getting weak, not dead) with more Costco batts but upgraded to AGM mostly so I don't have to ever check water. check out the date code, at Oct 2014, no more to be said.

Attachments

• 20231019_152803.jpg
    20231019_152803.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230410_173757.jpg
    20230410_173757.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 35
Try ordering the 31 online now though. It said no longer available when I wanted to, hence buying the Cdn Tire version.

Try ordering the 31 online now though. It said no longer available when I wanted to, hence buying the Cdn Tire version.
I see that, I really hope they aren't discontinued. I'll take it with a grain of salt for now as they often pump out batts in the spring

I'm just using mine for starting a 135 Etec, and running basic accessories while underway.

For normal duty (above 0C) the manual states: 675CCA or 875MCA. The Group 24 Energizer AGM is rated at 710CCA, so that should be good. The Group 27 Energizer AGM is also available and is rated at 850CCA, which would be my upgrade pick however I need to confirm I can make all my connections with the adapter/recessed post and still fit in my battery box. Both batteries were available at the Burnaby Costco on Production Way

I purchased the boat last year and it has a dual battery setup with two AC Delco Voyager Group 27 flooded lead acid batteries, that were a bit underrated (650CCA), and are date coded to Dec 2018. They still work, but are on borrowed time. I carried a booster kit last season (and will continue to do so), but its time to replace.

The dual battery setup is overkill for me, so I think i'm going to switch to a single and keep the booster kit as my backup. I'd like to lose the extra 50lbs from the stern, and save $300. Everything I was seeing online, at Canadian Tire or other automotive stores was +/-$350 (significantly more if you want a Rolls AGM), and nothing matches the Costco warranty.

Last edited:
The booster kits are amazing - I bought one about 2 years ago and its paid for itself in good karma. I've already salvaged a few failed boat days, when you see someone stuck with a dead boat at the bottom of the ramp. Even my basic booster pack had zero issue jumping a cold 350 V8.

Just wanted to see if anyone has a source/recommendation for good marine AGM batteries available in the Lower Mainland.

I originally wanted to buy the Energizer AGMs sold at Costco (good deal, well reviewed), but they currently only sell the automotive version and don't have any available for Marine with the extra threaded stud. Website says they are $269, but in store they are listed at $249.

Any other recommendations in the group 24 or 27 class, or should I just grab the automotive version and get a post adapter with threaded studs?

PS - it’s for a starting battery - not for house.
Had 5 of these for a project
Only have one left,
Will part ways with it for 400
Pm me if interested

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 30
Back