Are commercial trollers required to use barbless hooks?

photocopy

Was just wondering if commercial trollers are required to use barbless hooks? I have a pretty hard time swallowing the barbless hooks thing as a recreational fisher and I hope that commercial fisheries are subject to the same rules as me.

My general motto is if a fish is going to get off it will get off. Nobody lands them all not even the very best anglers.

I'm positive a barbed hook does help hold onto them IF the angler messes up and lets the line go slack.

Look on the bright side if you lose a fish with a barbless hook you've got something to blame it on.

barbless hooks do not lose fish , fisherman lose fish

fd

Total flash-back there FD, those exact words were constantly spoken to me by my grandpa, every time that I would put up a protest about having to use his barbless flies, when he was teaching me to fly-fish. I was convinced at that young age that it made a difference, but of course he was right, it makes little to no difference to the numbers landed if you play the fish properly. It does however make catch and release easier, and if you are ever unfortunate enough to get one stuck in ya deep, you will most definately appreciate no barbs. I watched someone step on a barbed hook once, and the only way for it to come out was to finish driving it all the way through up and out of the top of the foot, that did not look like it was fun at all, took several people to hold the person down during the procedure.

Well for an "EXPERIENCED" fisherman id say yes but for newbies no way....they give too much slack and poof its gone with a barb it would saty in but thats my opinion, but i have to follow why my beloved DFO idiots have gone to do I like it NO but have to follow it!!!!!

now back to the the post YES they have to most of the bulk hooks ive seen are now factory barbless when I was stocking the shelves at trotac

who's running barbless circle hooks anyone????

as they do tend to hook in the scissors of the jaw giving good hook ups

wonder if its worth trying them on spoons and hootchies or the trailing stinger hook?

Run barbless circle hooks for years, fresh and salt. Check all my posts over the years. I fish Nootka sound last week of July, sometimes first week of August. VERY VERY hard to lose a fish on a circle hook once they are on. line breakage maybe, otherwise, its going into the net. Not bragging, and I have given MANY packs of circle hooks (3/0 4/0 5/0) to many other boats where were losing fish steady. I fish spoons, hootchies, adn bait with circle hooks, barbless. Plugs need a 7/0 or 8/0 to work well, but otherwise, get a few in the above noted sizes and switch some of your spoons over and see.

Drewski

Run barbless circle hooks for years, fresh and salt. Check all my posts over the years. I fish Nootka sound last week of July, sometimes first week of August. VERY VERY hard to lose a fish on a circle hook once they are on. line breakage maybe, otherwise, its going into the net. Not bragging, and I have given MANY packs of circle hooks (3/0 4/0 5/0) to many other boats where were losing fish steady. I fish spoons, hootchies, adn bait with circle hooks, barbless. Plugs need a 7/0 or 8/0 to work well, but otherwise, get a few in the above noted sizes and switch some of your spoons over and see.

Drewski

what is the brand and hook number your running?

Back