Any Arima Owners here?

Scott K

Hey I just sold my 14'6 Cope aluminum and the plan is when the situation is right in about 1-2 years to buy an Arima. I'm sold on these boats for a hell of a lot of reasons and I'm either going to end up with a 17 or 19 foot Sea Ranger more than likely. I'm just curious if there are any Arima owners on here? I know they're gaining a lot of popularity in Canada as more of them come north of the border as well as there are now 2 dealers in BC (Venture, SG Power).

17' Seachaser will be my next boat.... (one day)
They are designed for fishing.
Nice wide platform, very stable.
I see more and more here in B.C., but the prices are way better
down south.
Check out Craigs list in Seattle.

I have the 15 footer... Its great, but its starting to concern me that everyone is snapping them up so fast. I am starting to come down with 2footitus and finding a used one cheap seems to be getting tougher and tougher.

Seriously though, they are good boats, with a fantastic use of space, but they do pound in the chop. If you want to travel fast when it gets rough, look at a deeper V.

Slivo and ivo at rats nose or swiftsure in their 17' was an awesome site... Good boat for sure. They have sold it and are getting into a 22'!!

I have a 17 sea ranger and absolutely love it, It fishes quite nice with two people on board. It's a nice stable platform to fish off of with everything on the boat geared towards fishing. The bow is huge and can take some real good weather, although you won't break any speed records if it's rough. It planes at very low speeds and needs very little power to make em go. I have a 91 and bought it in the states for a much better price than anything that I have found up here. Hope this helps

I'm on my second Arima. For the last ten years I ran a 19 foot Seachaser with a modified Searanger top. It had a 150 Yamaha 4-stroke for power which I loved enough to have taken to bed with me if my girlfriend would have put up with lower unit lube staining the sheets. That boat with that Yamaha was a fish-killing machine.

Here's a few pics of her:

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

But I got into some nasty weather last summer off the northern tip of Vancouver Island---I got stuck in some haystacks, took some blue stuff over the wheelhouse --and the deck didn't clear as fast as I would have wanted. I decided that if I ever saw another Arima that had a little bit bigger footprint (but had the same modified wheelhouse) , I'd jump on the boat and never let go. Kind of a "two-foot-itis" kind of thing....

Last winter, I found the boat of my dreams---a 21 foot SeaRanger with the same Inland Boats and Motors modified top. It had Hondas on it which made me gulp at first. Kind of like a Coke and Pepsi thing. It was tough to get the blue Yammies out of my mind ---those motors took me through thick and thin without a peep.

But now, after several perfect trips to Van Isle this summer, the purr of that BF150 Honda on my stern, I'm starting to warm up to the silver thing. So far, the reliability has been about the same. I'll chime back in 500 hours from now....

You can't go wrong with an Arima. Even if the hull is 20 years old, it'll outlast you and me and everyone we know. They're great boats!

IMG_3285.jpg

VINERSOUND2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The boat buyer's dilemma ... there is no perfect boat. You are always sacrificing one thing for another ... so have to choose which attributes are most important and give up something in return. The biggie seems to be whether the boat is designed for safety & comfort in getting you there and back OR whether it's about the comfort of being there. From what I can tell, a deep-V Grady is the former / Arima is the latter.

I was thinking of Arima's when I bought my campion. I really like that it's designed specifically for fishing in PNW waters, that quality is a major consideration in construction, and that the design/finish is somewhat rugged/utility rather than fancy. It's a fish boat.

But on the negatives, I hear they don't handle seas that well ... though I got the sense they are more on the uncomfortable side rather than crossing the line into unsafe.

The main negative for me though was pricing -- in particular, how the old boats hold their value. That's a plus when you own one, but a negative when you're shopping. Bottom line, I could get a 5 or 6 year old campion for what people were asking for 15-year plus arimas. Maybe that's like settling for a pontiac instead of a toyota, but the values/prices didn't make sense to me. Those who like Arimas love them, and it seems they are willing to pay a lot extra for the privilege.

NOT against them, overall I'd like to have one, or at least try it ... but not willing to pay the premium personally.

I do recall from my research that at some point in the 90s, they moved from wood stringers to entirely fibreglass. So, if you're looking for a bombproof no-rot boat, buy on the right side of that change!

Not sure about the stringers but since
1995 all models after have the starboard interior.
prior to 1995, faux wood :eek::(

Arimas are known for handling seas very well because they're "corky" (big beam, not so much chine, foam filled (and unsinkable)

With all that beam and limited chine, however, they do tend to pound in chop. But once you own one for awhile, you figure out how to get along with those characteristics.

With my 19 footer, I always kept my bow-tank (10 gal of water) full. I also stacked some full gallon water bottles up in the forepeak to keep the nose down.

With the new 21 footer, it came with trim tabs and I only wish I had put those on the 19 footer instead of messing with water bottles---trim tabs are a really nice piece of equipment on a "corky" boat like an Arima!

As far as value, yes, they're spendy, but there are several 19's and 21's on Craigslist that as far as I can tell, are stone-cold bargains. This is a great time to buy an Arima! Off the floor, with power and trailer and all the bells and whistles, a 19 to 21 foot Arima will cost 50 - 70 K.

These days on CL, you can get the same rigs with 100 - 200 hours of use on them for 35 - 40 K (with silver or blue hanging off the stern).

That's still a lot of money, but it's a safe, sturdy boat that requires minimal upkeep and will last a lifetime

BTW, the further you go down the I-5, the cheaper they get. I saw a 22 foot Arima last year with trailer being offered at 35 K. All I had to do was drive to San Francisco to get her. It didn't last long at that price. I still see them offered out of California at rock-bottom prices. Not sure why; probably more competitive market for used boats down there (and greater economic pain??)

I'm pretty sure that they have had fibreglass stringers on the smaller boats since about '85 and the 17's have never had wood stringers. The plywood paneling stuck around to the mid-90's.

Mine is a 1986 17 foot sea ranger and it has fibreglass stringers....Scott K I sent you a message as well if you want to check your inbox.

Here is mine in action, as you can see it can handle the rough waters off of the wall south of malcolm island well. =)

DSC04189.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

And it catches fish...Me in the green with my first good fish in the boat...Can't believe it was only 27lbs..Thought i had my tyee finally...But still illusive

DSC02109.jpg

Great looking rigs Sharphooks.
You have to figure out where and what for you plan on using the boat for.
If running out of Renfrew or Uke to the banks regularly, like the guide boats, then a more traditional deep v is probably for you.
For the occasional runs offshore, no problem.
The Arima guys in Oregon/Washington do use them for running out 20+ milesto get tuna.

But for fishing and putzing about, inshore or semi-protected waters, I don't think they can be beat in the smaller lengths. Huge deck area - even on my 16 footer - and stable.
My 300+ pound buddy can wander about the deck without causing much heeling, even if he's on my side - 200+ - of the boat.

Sea Chaser vs. Sea Ranger
Chaser have slightly bigger deck area due to smaller forepeak, but if you want to store a lot of gear, long rods etc., aboard you might want to consider the extra cabin space of the ranger models.

Love the rough water pictures Burnsy.

Hey, thanks for the comments, Time.

Ya, Burnsy, when it's rough enough to see an exhaust cloud coming out of a pair of 4-stroke Yamahas, you know it's time to get out the survival suit and maybe get at least one ankle in one of the booties....

A great wealth of Arima info here, http://arimaboatownersgroup.yuku.com/
Belinda (username Burnsmiranda on that forum) knows these boats inside out, and is very quick to reply to any question you might have.

My '82 Seachaser hull is aged and bloodstained, but is solid as a rock apart from a few spider cracks. I keep 25L of gas in the small cuddy up front, as my old hull will only do the 18 US gal tank, and that extra weight along with extra cannon balls moved to the cuddy really help with the ride.

I've been lucky enough to own a 17 ft Sea Ranger for the last three years. When I was looking at buying a new to me boat I went down to a few wharfs to check out what kind of boats were around. I noticed that the Harbour patrol boat is an Arima, then noticed that the fisheries boat was also an Arima. and with in a week I had found an Arima for sale. I might have only paid $10 grand for mine but over the course of 3 years have put another 10 grand into it. Very stable boat, very safe easy to anchor from also. Does bounce a bit in a chop but will take safety over speed any day.

I have a 19' Sea Ranger hard top --bought in 2008--150 suzuki and 9.9 suzuki kicker--love it. It does pound but just slow down a bit and play with the throttle it's not bad. Good to fish out of--nice on the hook looking for hali's.

On my way home...

So earlier today about 10:30 am after just entering Nanaimo on my way to take the Ferry home to Coquitlam (Departure-HB) I spot a truck (opposite way - headed North on highway 19) towing this suspect looking 21 foot Arima with Honda Motors (main, kicker) on it and a custom hard top. Where ya headed Sharp Hooks?

Hey Burnsy - is one of your Honda 50's counter rotating?

Back