23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Another Bertram conversion with twin 175's LOL

11411656_1685890324972875_7418407823331193474_o.jpg 11012502_1685890308306210_2094296775133077190_o.jpg 11064739_1685890228306218_6161942825382426851_o.jpg

Last edited:
Had one heck of a day o_O I got the boat gel coated today, looks pretty good but now the wet sanding and polishing begins.... I have a few bug tracks and popular tree fuzz stuck in the gel so some minor fixing to do :eek:

IMG_0307.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a stress free relaxing day I bet! Wow!

Ya, I was up last night stressing about the cure so I came out early this morning and all looks good, as mentioned some minor touch ups but that is easy with gelcoat, if paint it would be a different story lol

Wicked, Rob...I'm liking the twin 175s that seems like a real sweet spot. I'd also not go notched, that's a whole different level and the pod will bring all the other benefits of hull extension etc. As opposed to swamping in a following sea far away from shore sort of fun.

full extension pod... twin 200's, it will ride like 30'

Wicked, Rob...I'm liking the twin 175s that seems like a real sweet spot. I'd also not go notched, that's a whole different level and the pod will bring all the other benefits of hull extension etc. As opposed to swamping in a following sea far away from shore sort of fun.

might have to start a "Go Fund Me" to raise the funds for a POD hahahaha, I don't think there would be toooo many big seas scenarios on the Shuswap, Arrow, Kal or Okanagan :)

Last edited:
You have the skills to build one out of plywood and glass. I believe Last Chance did that. The pictures from the old website might be lost.

Hey, wondering if you can help me out, does anyone know what was applied to original bits & pieces of accenting exposed plywood which shows the grain, perhaps a darkened stain and sealer of sorts?

IMG_0312.jpeg IMG_0313.jpeg

You have the skills to build one out of plywood and glass. I believe Last Chance did that. The pictures from the old website might be lost.

Could be a good winter project and doable in the garage, no big shop required...

I believe Last Chance did that.
NO HE did not , that old boat is still kicking around in renny somewhere... there is a reason you dont see notched out transoms . personally they SUCK one bad following sea and your swamped . Years ago boat went down off constance bank because of that. spend the money on stuff thats better and more safe ... btw not that command bridge 1!!! LOL LOL sorry had to put that jab in...

NO HE did not , that old boat is still kicking around in renny somewhere... there is a reason you dont see notched out transoms . personally they SUCK one bad following sea and your swamped . Years ago boat went down off constance bank because of that. spend the money on stuff thats better and more safe ... btw not that command bridge 1!!! LOL LOL sorry had to put that jab in...

LC didn't build a glassed pod? I stand corrected.
Thought someone did a nice job on 3 layers of 3/4" ply well glassed, then bolted on.

OK, I get what you guys are saying and your input HAS NOT fallen on deaf ears, I am listening! You all have listed valid safety concerns, resale and performance benefits. But consider the Parkers, BW, DE and the Steiger Crafts etc, etc in the same class with notched transoms, are they all "junk"? NO of course not... and do they sell? Of course they do...

Will a notched transom decrease the value, maybe? but when you consider the quality of this build and the fact that it will still have a tad bit more deck space with a notched transom as a 23'er with a pod, it doesn't seem so bad. hahaha

I am not saying that I am completely set against the POD, no at all, I just need to be very WISE where I spend money on this build without sacrificing quality and safety. $4k spent on a pod will not = $4 at resale, maybe 1/2 that if I am lucky.

As I research, this topic has been an age old debate with great pros and cos for both, I know where most of you guys stand on this issue and preference in favour of the POD addition :)

If designed right a splash well with the splash wall will prevent little to no water entry...

Here is where I am coming from:
1. this boat will live on a trailer for as long as I own it, I don't like the continuing stress that the overhang and weighted motors have for long and frequent travels.
2. in reverse/backing down the water goes under the boat with a notched transom vs POD the water pushes against the transom, so less control with a POD in reverse
3. Resale, not sure it will affect a sale either way?
4. Safety, I would rather clear a snagged line in a prop from inside the boat rather than out on a POD, especially if I am alone
5. Corrosion concerns of the aluminum bracket over time
6. Additional intrusions through the transom for bracket attaching

Last edited:
build one of your own. you have the talents.
reversing and boat control with twins is just a matter of practice. too bad you dont have a spot with a 4-7kt current to practice.
DO THE GLASS POD!!!

so why did you want a 26' vs the 23' you had?

Well now that is a very good question, my number 1 factor was hoping my wife would feel more secure in a bigger boat and want to spend more time in it with me! :) She looked at and got into both and said, keep the 26! So i did...

Also, at the time, I kinda had the transom mount idea in my mind even with the 23 so my thought was if I continue down this path of a notched transom the 26 would:
- better performance
- more stable
- little better in rough weather
- more room than the 23 for the family
- I was informed that the V-berth was bigger in the 26 than the 23, which I know now that is false...
- bigger cabin
- I like the longitude lines better on the 26
- bigger is better, is it not? lol
- same amount of time and materials to redo so why not go with the bigger boat

Last edited:
I cut the splash well out of my old transom mount campion years ago. Glassed in the edges flush with transom and built a door out of starboard to keep the water out and could open it to raise motor. Worked fine and cost a couple hundred not thousands. Buddy had the same boat with factory pod did nothing that my boat wouldn’t do, and I got same performance from 175 vs his 225 zuke. You certainly have the know how to rig up something similar while not compromising safety and performance. You wouldn’t lose an inch of deck space if done a certain way.

I cut the splash well out of my old transom mount campion years ago. Glassed in the edges flush with transom and built a door out of starboard to keep the water out and could open it to raise motor. Worked fine and cost a couple hundred not thousands. Buddy had the same boat with factory pod did nothing that my boat wouldn’t do, and I got same performance from 175 vs his 225 zuke. You certainly have the know how to rig up something similar while not compromising safety and performance. You wouldn’t lose an inch of deck space if done a certain way.

Yes i agree, I would have to give allot of thought and design it in such a way that it would be safe and built to withstand any oncoming seas.

Back