2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out yesterday at first light till after low tide around quarry bay. Weather was good but seas made the day difficult for single person fishing! Went to anchovies, saw some nice sized fish on the sounder at 65-70’, had some good strikes around 100’ on the rigger and two 55cm (one a hatchery Chinook) to the boat but no keepers. Heard a couple 10lbs come in the earlier day so still a few around but very scarce.

Been fishing quite steady in the channel and around pearson and bjerrre. Been very slow. Just a couple undersize ling for us the last couple days. Prawning still isn't bad though, managing 40-60 a day.

Hi All. My second time coming up to fish at Pender Harbour this wknd. Reading the archived reports for this time of year, it seems the best bets are Bjerre and Epsom. Does that sound about right? If you dont mind my asking, do you need to go pretty deep like 150 to 200 on the rigger, or usually more shallow? Thanks in advance folks!

Hi All. My second time coming up to fish at Pender Harbour this wknd. Reading the archived reports for this time of year, it seems the best bets are Bjerre and Epsom. Does that sound about right? If you dont mind my asking, do you need to go pretty deep like 150 to 200 on the rigger, or usually more shallow? Thanks in advance folks!

Bjerre is shallow up to around 60'at some points. Epsom can go from basically dry out to 300' I ike to fish it around 70' in a SW direction starting at about 120' and it slopes gently downhill to 300' you can also work the outter depths but still 70 to 90'.

I'd for sure be working the bays instead of the outer areas, that's where I have been finding bait for those feeders. Rarely do I see people work the bays on the outside of the gap, i bet there's something in there these days if you're not hitting the bait off epsom point.

Bjerre is shallow up to around 60'at some points. Epsom can go from basically dry out to 300' I ike to fish it around 70' in a SW direction starting at about 120' and it slopes gently downhill to 300' you can also work the outter depths but still 70 to 90'.

Many thanks Ab. Much appreciated! Will report on any success I have!

Been fishing out of Secret Cove and Halfmoon Bay all summer introducing my kids to the magic of mooching (with super help from the Local). In June we did very well at Epsom practising C&R and getting the kids up to speed with playing and handling Chinook. Couldn’t keep em off. Wouldn’t you know it, come Mid July and all of a sudden things really cooled down for us. Tried further and further afield, as far as Sangster (we’re in a small boat) with no luck - just fed a lot of Dogfish! My question is this: do the Chinook just move on from this neighbourhood mid summer and not return or will additional waves of fish return to, say, Epsom (or other local spots)? If so, what dates can I typically look forward to? Lastly, what is the ultimate “home river” destination for these fish? Fraser? Campbell? Any insights much appreciated

Been fishing out of Secret Cove and Halfmoon Bay all summer introducing my kids to the magic of mooching (with super help from the Local). In June we did very well at Epsom practising C&R and getting the kids up to speed with playing and handling Chinook. Couldn’t keep em off. Wouldn’t you know it, come Mid July and all of a sudden things really cooled down for us. Tried further and further afield, as far as Sangster (we’re in a small boat) with no luck - just fed a lot of Dogfish! My question is this: do the Chinook just move on from this neighbourhood mid summer and not return or will additional waves of fish return to, say, Epsom (or other local spots)? If so, what dates can I typically look forward to? Lastly, what is the ultimate “home river” destination for these fish? Fraser? Campbell? Any insights much appreciated
Seems like in recent years it does trend towards slower fishing in late July through August on the Malaspina side for sure, we found mid July was hit & miss around the shoals but found lots of fish further south at Texada, Lasqueti & Sangster but all down deep, typically Malaspina side has always fished best from April to late June. Majority of fish are Fraser & tributaries of the Fraser in these waters mixed in with some eastern Vancouver Island rivers but also consist of alot of U.S. fish as well..Columbia & hatchery programs..August you want to be on the Qualicum side where it gets very hot

The reason for our delayed Chinook start is to allow the main runs to pass through. We only get to pick up stragglers.

The hatchery fish I sent to the recovery program last year came from the Cowichan River. ( caught on Bjerre)

Like last year I see lots of targets up on top of Bjerre. They don’t seem interested in anything I’m offering though.

Thanks for these insights. So, is it fair to say that apart from stragglers, our best bet in finding fish in numbers during September is to head south out of Zone 16 towards the rivers? My preference is to stay up here in the neighbourhood, the vibe is much friendlier and you can’t beat the scenery. Are there maybe some chum spots that will heat up in September?

It is going off from roberts creek to byng last week and through this week for sprigs and wild coho. Everyone sits off gower but I fish the sleeves tight to shore in these areas and continue to produce nice fish. Last keeper 78 cm spring was 45' deep just west of the byng sign on a white jughead. Smashed and grabbed l, had a double in the first 5 mins and was done, last Thursday. Sunday was 3 nice springs all just under and a ton of big wild coho. This is one of my favorite areas on the Coast to fish, albeit is exposed.

I've had great luck there all simmer since July 16 onward. Now I'm back in the city and will join the gong show tomorrow but way out deep. There is still a window for sunshine coast springs, i believe.

Start in the bay at the sign and point the boat towards sechelt. I fish it in the 45 to 50' deep close to shore bouncing balls is not an issue, never had one snag. I work the shore from there to the first set of houses typically but I've picked up springs all along past roberts creek jetty.

Watch the depth as it is a pretty steep shelf.

I'd also add I've had the best luck at the top of the flood but really its performed well and I fished the hell out of gower to sangster to the pilings to egmont July 15 to mid August. All my trips now I'm back in town are a 45 minute rip to byng, weather permitting.

Its like a 80' cliff drop from the 45' level to 100 to 120 ish. I'm sure springs hang out down lower too but hooking an angry spring that tight to shore is a special battle as they rip the line out on the surface instead of diving down. The one from Thursday almost stole the rod out of my left hand as I pointed the boat out to sea with my right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back