2018 Sidney Reports

Most of it. You can still fish a bit on the south side.

That's my understanding too. Look at the south border of 18-6, most of that 90ft hump where guys like to jig is still open and all south from there. My best guess is south of the blue line is ok for Chinook retention.

View media item 532

Last edited:
That's my understanding too. Look at the south border of 18-6, most of that 90ft hump where guys like to jig is still open and all south from there. My best guess is south of the blue line is ok for Chinook retention.

View media item 532

Has anyone ever spoken with anyone from DFO in the past about this line between area's?
would they take our word for it that we caught in 19-5 not 18-6 ?

Was at Hamley Sunday morning, lots of Bait and marks on the sounder, also lots of boats. Did anyone have any good success?
Headed that way tonight? hopefully still hanging around there tonight.

Tried last night, about half a dozen boats fishing, no sign of catching but I was away from the pack.

Out there right now...bit of bait. Half dozen boat fairly spread out. No action yet that I've seen.

Reactions: NAD
Was at Hamley Sunday morning, lots of Bait and marks on the sounder, also lots of boats. Did anyone have any good success?
Headed that way tonight? hopefully still hanging around there tonight.

I was there Sunday morning and bailed after not seeing anyone catch anything. Crazy amount of stuff on the sounder and no bites. I was thinking maybe we were seeing sockeye??

Anyways, on the way back I stopped at the spit and got a teener 55’ on a spoon in 80’ of water

83C2D0F4-9BA9-4E68-92AD-D2E6BBB45E32.png Current pic of Sidney harbour. Anyone who dares venture out in this better have a big boat... Look at those flags ripping in the wind!

I’m going to work and am insanely jealous of anyone who can go today, so if you do, please catch a big one and report about it so I can live through you!

I was there Sunday morning and bailed after not seeing anyone catch anything. Crazy amount of stuff on the sounder and no bites. I was thinking maybe we were seeing sockeye??

Anyways, on the way back I stopped at the spit and got a teener 55’ on a spoon in 80’ of water

We tried out there for sockeye last night but got skunked. I swear I saw one jump though, he was taunting us! Lot's on the sounder between 60-90 ft out in the deeper water. If it was sockeye, there was no bite. The tides look more favorable in the morning next week, we'll try again for a morning sockeye bite. They're in Sooke and Vancouver so they must come through here.

Went looking for Sockeye this morning on the SW side of Moresby. No evidence of them being around. Took a couple of passes out in 200 feet of water with the Sox gear. Decided to move to an area that I could fish Springs and escape some of the current so fished the north end of Sidney Island. Lots of bait and fish arches in 10' -40' on the sounder.

Just as I was pulling up to head home, saw a Sockeye doing its patented surf on top of the water. Had to head home or I would have changed back to the Sox gear but it seems that there are a few around? Encouraging.

Started that way. After about 45 minutes we went for the big boys. You know me... I’m craving a 20

Started that way. After about 45 minutes we went for the big boys. You know me... I’m craving a 20

I went to renfrew last weekend and came home pretty loaded up with sockeye and a spring over 20. I have the sockeye fever now, I'm going to try to put in a few shifts hunting for them over the next few days. I'll report if I find any...

I went to renfrew last weekend and came home pretty loaded up with sockeye and a spring over 20. I have the sockeye fever now, I'm going to try to put in a few shifts hunting for them over the next few days. I'll report if I find any...
Go to sooke for sockeye

I tried pretty hard for sockeye the other day, absolutely no sign of them anywhere. No jumpers. No schools marked. In tight. Out deep. Against Pender bluff-like structure. Travel lanes. Everywhere. Nada.

I've caught plenty of socks before, so I know what I'm doing. How in the heck do they get from JDF to the Fraser? They're obviously not passing Sidney.

I tried pretty hard for sockeye the other day, absolutely no sign of them anywhere. No jumpers. No schools marked. In tight. Out deep. Against Pender bluff-like structure. Travel lanes. Everywhere. Nada.

I've caught plenty of socks before, so I know what I'm doing. How in the heck do they get from JDF to the Fraser? They're obviously not passing Sidney.

I put in a solid 3-hour shift last night looking for an evening bite between Gooch and Halibut Island out by the border in the deeps. I was thinking the same thing, they must come up through Haro Straight to get the Fraser. Not a sign at all, and running the same gear I limited out with a bit over a week ago at Renfrew. I'm not ready to give up yet though!

It's a bit of a run from Sidney but what about East Pt / Tumbo Island area? Looks like the area is open open on the east side of Saturna and I remember seeing schooling sockeye in that area years ago. Never fished it though.

Back