Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the comments from latest Fraser River Sockeye Update:
Criteria for Fishing Decisions
 -The Criteria of Fishing Decisions table provides information on how the run is doing relative to pre-season expectations prior to being able to update the run sizes.
 -Currently tracking behind for Early Summer and Lates assuming preseason timing assumptions.

 -The Criteria of Fishing Decisions table provides information on how the run is doing relative to pre-season expectations prior to being able to update the run sizes.
 -Currently tracking behind for Early Summer and Lates assuming preseason timing assumptions.

Not looking good despite PA’s optimism and confidence in the all mighty blue flasher.

I heard they are selling blue canon balls too! ;)

Think there are plenty more on the way. Saw this in the paper today.
Earlier in the season, Chauvel encountered sockeye in “unprecedented abundance” northwest of Haida Gwaii.

“Anecdotally, I’ve heard they are still intercepting sockeye there, which fuels the theory that a lot of (sockeye) are still migrating to the Fraser,” he said.

Think there are plenty more on the way. Saw this in the paper today.
Earlier in the season, Chauvel encountered sockeye in “unprecedented abundance” northwest of Haida Gwaii.

“Anecdotally, I’ve heard they are still intercepting sockeye there, which fuels the theory that a lot of (sockeye) are still migrating to the Fraser,” he said.
In my non professional opinion they are absolutely late this year. Normally at this time we should be seeing huge schools of jumping sockeye all over the place including the area off the Bell Buoy.

In my non professional opinion they are absolutely late this year. Normally at this time we should be seeing huge schools of jumping sockeye all over the place including the area off the Bell Buoy.
Excuses excuses :rolleyes:;)

.... they are absolutely late this year. Normally at this time we should be seeing huge schools of jumping sockeye all over the place including the area off the Bell Buoy.
Agreed- as a keen observer of the natural world around English Bay when the flying ants hatch in the 2nd & 3rd weeks of August Sparrows & Seagulls feed on that hatch and Sockeye are usually jumping in the background it all happened on schedule except for jumping Sox-seen very few so far.

Got our( 2 person) limit this morning at sandheads . Passed the shallows and headed for the 550 ft area. Started at 45 and 55 to no avail but dropped to 140, shortly after and started getting some .100 to 140 was working. Mid morning the pack all headed out from the lighthouse . Today it was green 6 ...red 2.

Things could come to a grinding halt soon if things do not improve.

Friday will be a make or break day.

Got our limit today at North Arm. Constant action from 7:30am-2:30pm, Used every colour flasher I could find and it didn't seem to matter ;). Lost 6 to a rookie that couldn't keep those lines tight....

Yo yo. Got out around 8am with a couple of buddies in a 35’ Whaler. Started slow for us then headed out where the pack was in 5-600’ of water. Got 3 out there and 2 more on the way in. If anyone was out there we had the tunes going hard once in a while. Having a blast. Lost 2 and had 3-4 that didn’t stick. Fun day and the water was beautiful. Back out tomorrow.
Cheers, Rob

Sockeye itch is festering. If I leave soon, I'll be at McDonald early. I don't think I can wait till next weekend.
There are big runs that start early and finish late. There are no small/average runs that arrive late. Love to be wrong.
I seined for 10 summers. We only fished areas 12/13, 16, or 20 for sockeyes and they were always over by the time I got off the boat to go back to college. Insert Animal House jokes here.

Oh man did we ever struggle yesterday. Got out there by 7am with Dr McCormack and headed out deep 400+. No boats in close. Started our troll and got three quick hits that were off before we could even grab the rod. Then had a slow down. Then we noted a pile of boats develop over 500 feet and headed through the mess. Double header on but broke on off and lost the other by the boat swept through that area and lost another four fish before the school disappeared. We were pretty down on our poor luck with an empty cooler after all that action. So we headed in to the 15p foot and trolled around for chinook for nothing. Noted fish on finder at 100+ so set up with sockeye gear and put it down 100 to 120 feet and from 320pm to 5 pm we picked up four sockeye for the cooler and had a few more short bites all on longer leaders like 26 to 28 inch. Then went dead so took off around 630 pm. Hopefully our next day is better! 20180828_182513.jpg 20180828_160143.jpg

Is it me or do these fish seem to have more slime coat than normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back