2014 Tuna Adventures

Any one heading out this weekend? We will be in Bamfield at the Beam and will be making the run as long as the weather holds.

I will be moving my boat from Neah Bay to Westport on Friday and doing a tuna run out of Westport on Sat. Sun looks like it will likely be miserable for tuna fishing but Sat. is looking good. Of course info from Westport won't be of much use to you guys (and vice versa) but I'll provide a report on our day.

eriks, when I go to Tofino, I stay at Tofino Swell lodge. They have moorage and reasonable rooms. There regulars have probably gone home now so they should have space despite the smallish size of the place. They don't want boat trailers there, so the gentleman that lives next door named Phil, collects $3.00 per day for me to store my trailer up in the Industrial area by Slegg lumber. I don't actually know how to contact that place or even what it is called. Never had a problem. I also store my boat at Pacific Rim's lot in Ukee. Glen is the guy to talk to there. Some guys rent trailer space from the guy right beside the boat launch in Tofino as well.

I sure hope the North Island folks are getting out there for tuners :). Conditions look really good up there right now :cool:.

I sure hope the North Island folks are getting out there for tuners :). Conditions look really good up there right now :cool:.

Just had a buddy who went to Kyuquot specifically for tuna but weather wouldn't let them get out. I assume he's back now as got a voicemail (missed call) from him last night and there is no cell reception up there.

Apparently it turned into a "normal" WCVI fishing trip. ;)

TUNA, TUNA, TUNA They are HERE pretty much on schedule with the average 5 year trend of Albacore Tuna returning to Area 125/126.
Last week on Wednesday August 20th three boats from the Nootka area went searching. Results 3 boats 9 fishers 4 Tuna.
Yesterday on Wednesday August 27th three boats from the same area went CATCHING. Results 3 boats, 12 fishers 45 Tuna. YES they have Arrived!!!
Our 1st Scheduled Albacore Tune Charter is tomorrow, Friday. We have high expectation for GREAT results.
We have the data necessary to pin point the correct water conditions & locations, weather & wave info, and the resent success of our friends to ensure a bountiful trip.
TONIGHT will be our 1st of every Thursday’s Tuna Seminar which will cover – Tackle & set up, effective catching techniques, safety, VHF channels, Search patterns & much more. Start at 6pm to 7pm $100 per boat / included if you are charting with Westview. All who attend seminar are welcome to fallow us out on Friday morning to the Tuna Grounds.
20140828_170005mini.jpg
20140828_180047mini.jpg

John,

Tone it down a bit man. I started this thread for sports fishers to report their adventures. I didn't start it for people to make money or push advertising. Start your own thread if you want to push your outfit. This thread is reserved for the helpful folks that have lent a hand in the past and shared their experiences for the love of the sport and the fish, without profit being involved.

Good luck tomorrow.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I would include in your seminar a portion about caring for your catch. Looks like those fish never saw much ice due to the blue color they've maintained in the photos. I've done this myself and the result is soft/ mushy loins. Bleeding and cooling is fairly important part of this fishery.
Catch it, bleed it, (head and guts out/off), leave in ice slush for 45 mins, then pack in ice= premium product.

Not trying to be a dick I just think it's important and blue coloured tuna at the dock means they never saw much ice. They are NOT like salmon.

I would include in your seminar a portion about caring for your catch. Looks like those fish never saw much ice due to the blue color they've maintained in the photos. I've done this myself and the result is soft/ mushy loins. Bleeding and cooling is fairly important part of this fishery.
Catch it, bleed it, (head and guts out/off), leave in ice slush for 45 mins, then pack in ice= premium product.

Not trying to be a dick I just think it's important and blue coloured tuna at the dock means they never saw much ice. They are NOT like salmon.

Great post Jay. 10lb's of salt ice per fish is the norm. That means a ***** load of ice is needed for this fishery. Don't go out there thinking like a salmon trip. These are warm blooded fish that need to cool down big time before processing. The head off and guts out while out there in between hook ups gives you an advantage in quality at the end of the day for sure.

A little tip that the veterans down south give out is to leave them on salt ice (drained of course) for 2 days before loining. You will get a firmer loin before vacuum sealing. We did this last year and I have to agree that it is a better product than doing it the same day or the next day. I noticed it comparing product from Mexico and previous years Albacore.

IMO cubes don't cut it in this fishery. I've posted up photos of how we care for these fish. Take it seriously folks. They are great tasting if you look after them.

They can be a total waste if you don't. There was even a post by a guy that fed some not looked after tuna to his dog and it broke out in boils and stuff and almost died. Read up on the tuna talk threads etc. Research, research, research..... I sound like a broken record and I'm almost done with all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little tip that the veterans down south give out is to leave them on salt ice (drained of course) for 2 days before loining. You will get a firmer loin before vacuum sealing. We did this last year and I have to agree that it is a better product than doing it the same day or the next day.

We left some on ice for a day or two and some we loined and sealed the same day at the shootout last year, well Harper loined em after a couple of days :), and the ones left on ice were way nicer quality than the ones loined the day they were caught.

Sculpin,

The Hardy Buoys are planning on heading out off of Brooks tomorrow for a few days. Need to get the boat derby ready for our trip south. Rumour has it they are in quite close, 16-20 mile range, jumpers everywhere. Had some locals from Hardy out the last few days, warm water was in close. They did not hook up as much as they would have liked but the water and fish were there.

Will report back in a few days.

Sculpin,

The Hardy Buoys are planning on heading out off of Brooks tomorrow for a few days. Need to get the boat derby ready for our trip south. Rumour has it they are in quite close, 16-20 mile range, jumpers everywhere. Had some locals from Hardy out the last few days, warm water was in close. They did not hook up as much as they would have liked but the water and fish were there.

Will report back in a few days.

Go get em Wade!!!

A few boats went out of of bam this morning... I had family in... Will report back!!

Awesome !!!!! Keep reports coming ! Hoping to give it first shot next wed-sat . Which ever day works. How many miles are the boy's going out ????
Looking forward to report & pictures !!!!! Waiting !! LoL !

Albacore Tuna have lit up the fishing off Esperanza/Nootka. The tuna are stacked up at the inshore side of the Esperanza Canyon all the way into to nearly the hyw. Fish averaging 20lb with a few big guys in the low 30s lb. Lots of fun & lots of fish.
What a sea life show whales, sea lions, sunfish, porpoises, albatross & much more bring your camera when you go. These Tuna usually stay in the area until the 1st huge storms come in late September. "Fish On"
View attachment 13810View attachment 13806View attachment 13807
TUNA FISHING IS NOT JUST FOR TUFF-GUYS!!
View attachment 13808View attachment 13809
Click Here to Check out our Live camera this afternoon for real time Tuna Results!!
or watch the latest Video Report From Esperanza and Nootka Sound! Spoiler - TUNA!!!

FOJ, You have good water off your area right now. Your lucky. Enjoy it. There are tuna up and down the coast right now but the big advantage is having good water to fish them in which is what you have now. There are boats out of Tofino fishing today likely in un-ideal conditions. Im sure they will get them but I expect the numbers to be 15 to 20 per boat due to the quality of the water.

Your buddy,

Tuff-guy.

We got out to Barclay canyon on friday..passed thru several temp breaks before finding tuna. Got a couple singles about 51 miles out in 59 degree water but no more.. went another 10 and water was 62.5 - 62.8 and much closer to blue..still a bit greeny.We all had multiples several times from 2pm until 430.. green n yellow clones, swimbaits in anchovy color and bunker xraps all caught fish.
final count was 17, 15 and 13 for our three boats...

We got out to Barclay canyon on friday..passed thru several temp breaks before finding tuna. Got a couple singles about 51 miles out in 59 degree water but no more.. went another 10 and water was 62.5 - 62.8 and much closer to blue..still a bit greeny.We all had multiples several times from 2pm until 430.. green n yellow clones, swimbaits in anchovy color and bunker xraps all caught fish.
final count was 17, 15 and 13 for our three boats...

Thanks for the report. THATS how a report is done!. Its got all the basics including location, distance, temps, water color/Visibility and catch numbers. I now he did not include water visibility but dang thats how a report should look!

Got a couple days fishing in out of Esperanza . Fished Thursday and Saturday 25-30 miles out near the head of Esperanza canyon. Got 15 the first day and 10 the next trip. Green/ yellow clones cedar plug and the turd were all productive. I pulled 4 splash birds and had multiple triple and quadruple headers. Good fun and decent sea conditions.

Back