Search results

1. Saratoga

Garmin 9-Axis Heading Sensor

Nice - my buddy has a Striper as well. If you’re able to, I’d suggest adding and AIS receiver to your setup - it compliments radar nicely allowing you to see any boat that has an AIS transmitter - all commercial boats are required to have it. I upgraded my VHF radio to a garmin with AIS...
  2. Saratoga

Ah ok - makes sense. Hope the install goes well - I spent quite a bit of time laying it out and it all came together nicely. I’m a big fan of Garmin. Everything integrates efficiently, the menus are very well though out and intuitive, and their tech support is excellent.
  3. Saratoga

It seems large when you open the box - but it’s really the perfect size for a 24’ boat once installed. Here’s a photo of my boat from the side with the fantom 24
  4. Saratoga

I have a 24’ as well and went with the next size up. I thought it would be too big but it wasn’t at all. And you get better image resolution. Something to consider at least. Very glad I went with the 24” version.
  5. Saratoga

Sounds good - ya I installed the fantom 24 garmin radome a few years ago and it works great with the garmin line of chartplotter a. Used it to get back from 100 miles offshore with 70miles of thick fog. The heading sensor makes all the difference for accuracy for the chart overlay options and...
  6. Saratoga

If you are still interested in the heading sensor, please let me know.
  7. Saratoga

No problem and yes that’s correct … $500. Thanks.
  8. Saratoga

It’s still available - I haven’t been in a rush to sell it and was going to post it in the spring. It’s in basically new condition.
  9. Saratoga

Replacing Scotty HP Switch

Sorry for the delayed reply … yes I sent the whole downrigger back to Scotty and they replaced all the internals including the circuit board. They did it for no charge which is very good and typical of the good service from Scotty. I just had to pay to ship it over to them. Replacing all of the...
  10. Saratoga

Replacing Scotty HP Switch

Scotty sent me a replacement switch with the wire to repair a downrigger that stopped working. There is a small pin in the switch arm that allows the switch to slide back & forth somewhat while preventing it from falling out of the main downrigger body. I‘m wondering if there’s a trick to...
  11. Saratoga

Auto pilot opinions

It’s not that difficult once you have the right fittings and hose. The difficult part is determining what those fittings & hose should be. I got my fittings and hose from PSI Fluid Power Ltd in Richmond. I spoke with Christian and he was extremely helpful.
  12. Saratoga

Rigger mounted rodholders, who has what?

As a an additional data point for consideration, I have inadvertently hooked onto and retrieved a rod while trolling that was still mounted in it’s rod holder. It had clearly sheared across the arm/mount that connects it to the downrigger boom. The drag was not any tighter than you would...
  13. Saratoga

DFO IFM Plan 2021/22 For Review

We only received the revised permits to sample Chinook DNA a few months after the closure for “no fishing for Chinook” was implemented. It took many many weeks to convince senior DFO decision makers that preventing the collection of data might not be a great idea. So there was quite an extended...
  14. Saratoga

Auto pilot opinions

There’s 3 aspects to the install .. electrical, network, and hydraulic. While none of them are all that difficult once everything is planned out, it’s certainly not plug and play as you have discovered. If you spend the time to read through the instructions carefully and multiple times until you...
  15. Saratoga

Electronics recommendations?

I would just caution that, in my experience, there is a significant difference in brightness, response time, and position accuracy between a tablet and a chartplotter. Chartplotters are optimized for viewing in all conditions and substantially brighter - they are optimized for marine navigation...
  16. Saratoga

Electronics recommendations?

Here’s a recent discussion thread regarding new electronics. A larger screen really makes a difference. And the better the transducer, the better quality the returns you will get on the chartplotter. You might also want to plan for integration of a VHF radio so you can leverage the DSC features...
  17. Saratoga

Auto pilot opinions

I would just verify that the 1.0 litre pump will have sufficient capacity for your hydraulic system. You need to determine the volume of your steering cylinder and whether it’s single or dual to determine the correct pump (Seastar has the specs on their website). It’s very important that the...
  18. Saratoga

Auto pilot opinions

I have the Reactor 40 Autopilot (w/ remote) along with a 7610xsv, 24” Fantom Radome, and two transducers. Also have the Garmin AIS VHF radio. The autopilot leverages the chartplotter capability to navigate between waypoints. You can choose to create a path on the plotter between a series of...
  19. Saratoga

If you were buying electronics today...

I‘ve gone with Garmin on my last three boats and have been really pleased with the performance, installation efficiency, and integration between components. I briefly strayed when looking at autopilots and purchased the Raymarine evolution setup. But I quickly returned it when I realized how...
Back