Rigger mounted rodholders, who has what?

Lots of previous thread discussions on this over the years.

IMHO, the best option for boom mounted holders is the high end all stainless holders with the more oval boom clamps. I got mine from West Marine when they still had store fronts in Canada. There are cheaper and not as strong/good stainless boom mounted holders available on line. Other than price, the only downside is that they are heavy and you will notice the difference in weight when carrying the rigger. They have a tough, thin, smooth, slick plastic liner and flared bell so removing the rods fast on a strike is easy. My custom rigger mount bottom sections are so heavy duty and well designed that I think you would destroy the side of the boat before it would break and the added weight of the stainless holders on the booms will never be a problem. Our high end rods and reels only go in the stainless rod holders as we don't want to lose the really expensive gear. When I have taken the riggers into the Scotty factory for servicing, even the Scotty guys seem impressed with these stainless boom mounted rod holders, but they are not cheap. In our case the boom also required some very minor modification to mount the new holders and not interfere with the tube in tube sliding boom extension.

Besides rigger boom mounted stainless rod holders there are six other Scotty holder bases with the push button release locking mechanism (the best and most safe type) located along the sides and transome of the fishing deck area that will accept all of the various Scotty holders, not that you would ever use them all at the same time. They do, however, allow maximum flexibility in rigging your boat for stacking, running surface lines and Halibut fishing etc. There are also times when you may want or only have enough time to clear one side of the boat to net or release a fish. In that case the unused holder bases on the opposite side can have a Scotty holder slammed into them (if not already installed) and the rod/s from the side to be cleared moved to the other side of the boat out of the way, without bringing them up. You also increase the number of double headers doing this, but for a really big Chinook, if we have the time, and in most cases you do, we like to clear all rods and rigger balls out of the water. This system works well for us.

Last edited:
I too have several of the Scotty gunnel things and like that they lock if I remember to lock them. One of them isn’t to useful as it just hides a hole I made too close to the rigger
I really like my orcas after fifty years of using downeasters for fresh water they work similar I was so happy Scotty came out with them. Mine are mounted forward of the riggers because I have a small boat and often fish solo being closer to my helm let’s me get on the strike quickly.Prior to buying the orcas I struggled getting my rods out of the boom mounted tube style holders
Tight lines every one just a few days left to fill up your licenses

i have always loved the original rodmaster rod holders but i currently am using the stainless tube style on the 2106's , i have two orca's that i mounted on the bow rails to make it easier for someone in the front seat to grab the rod but the vibration from them being on the rails drove me nutz.

I totally agree with all of you, maybe time to cut some holes into the deck on our boat too. I had a hard look at the plastic adjusters on mine as it seems they fail at the base. Scotty sells replacements for 15 bucks so between that and a lanyard to the reel that will cover me for now.

I had the pleasure of hand bombed an mr2 that wasn't slotted correctly after changing out a rod. 300' of line later haha...more stupid by me.

That's my biggest fear with my Tr3. a rod holder breaking or opening up. but seeing how the cable is broken, I wonder what happened
ya the whole story is not being told here , could have caught a reef, ran it thru the prop, something like that , it was enough force to snap the cable the rod holder didn't stand a chance.. even a brand new one would have broke . this is also a goods case for snubbers on the end of your downrigger line.

ya the whole story is not being told here , could have caught a reef, ran it thru the prop, something like that , it was enough force to snap the cable the rod holder didn't stand a chance.. even a brand new one would have broke . this is also a goods case for snubbers on the end of your downrigger line.
Set the darn brake up properly. I’ve hooked bottom more than once and have yet to lose a ball or a rigger. My brakes are always set just over pulling out just for that reason. If I change ball weights it’s a simple adjustment.

And I don’t understand how hard your drag would have to be set on a reel that it would break a rod holder made out of 1.25” polymer plastic and not pull out some line. I’ve been at this a long time as well and I just can’t get my head around that one.

Last edited:
Set the darn brake up properly. I’ve hooked bottom more than once and have yet to lose a ball or a rigger. My brakes are always set just over pulling out just for that reason. If I change ball weights it’s a simple adjustment.

And I don’t understand how hard your drag would have to be set on a reel that it would break a rod holder made out of 1.25” polymer plastic and not pull out some line. I’ve been at this a long time as well and I just can’t get my head around that one.
yup exactly , also the post about putting halibut rod in boom mounted rod holder is rediculous, if you are stupid enough to jig halibut from a boom mounted rod holder you are asking to lose your rod. trolling is different and those rod holders are not meant for holding jigging rods. The Striker is the only scotty rod holder designed for those types of pressures and it has steel all the way down to the post.

Nah you ain’t going to break that, that’s what reels have drag for lol.
As a an additional data point for consideration, I have inadvertently hooked onto and retrieved a rod while trolling that was still mounted in it’s rod holder. It had clearly sheared across the arm/mount that connects it to the downrigger boom. The drag was not any tighter than you would normally use to fight a fish. I have to assume the integrity of the arm degraded over time until it eventually let go.

no people lean on them old style tubes for me off the double rod holder basesIMAG0654.jpg

Last edited:
9D2FF152-0BF7-44D7-B2A4-AFCDE2D8C8E6.jpegI prefer to run my rod holders directly out the back of the boat. Hardly ever use the boom mounted rod holders on my riggers. This set up helps keep the kelp off my lines and is way easier to see the bite. You miss far less bites - only one place to watch.

Boom mounted Orcas on extension for me. Almost 10 years with no issues. Great for kids to use as well.

As for using a boom mounted rod holder for jigging, its not that uncommon. People use what they have if they want to run multiple rods. But any rod left in a holder should have a light drag, only one I set to proper tension is the one in my hands as I jig. my concern with quick release rod holders when jigging was more towards what happens when the you hit bottom and lose tension, would it open?

Back