Search results

1. N

Help with river salmon.

So last year i tried sevral times on the Big Qualicum river to catch a salmon. And no luck. This year i tried all morning today with nothing to show for it. Id love to actually catch a salmon with my son What is the trick. Iv tried twitch jig. Float a egg, spoons and spinners. And iv only...
  2. N

Rules and Regs Question

So quick question for freshwater. My son is 10 so i dont have to buy him a license. But to fish Salmon in the rivers do i need to get him a Salmon stamp? The book does not specify.
  3. N

Island rivers 2023

Please post your 2023 river reports
  4. N

Nanaimo lakes

Want to get my kids some decent trout in Nanaimo area. What's your go to lure for getting them in town? I have a small boat i putt around in with them
  5. N

Fish fizzing device seen for sale.

So i was at Cabela the other day, and on the shelf i saw a fish fizzing device, the needle thing to pop a swim bladder to send rockfish back down. It was my understanding that they are not allowed as a decending device, and when i brought it up to the store manager they said, "we get it sent...
  6. N

East Vancover Island rivers

So any word besides pinks on the east side rivers yet what to bring my son out. With no boat this is one of the only ways I can get him into salmon.
  7. N

River salmon fishing question

So I'm trying to understand some regulations Specifically on the Nanaimo river. It says between the cedar road and hiway 1 it's open November 1st. But any tributaries are open Oct.15. So what if the tributaries flowes into the closed area? Is it under the Nov 1 or Oct.15?
  8. N

Herring recipes?

So herring season is fast approaching. What are some good recipes you use? I love to catch them but are looking for some other ways to use them besides bait.
  9. N

Nitinat river

So is the Nitinat that good or does it get as crowded as the big Q? Just wondering if its worth a 2 hr drive out to see if I may be able to catch a Coho?
  10. N

Port Hardy

So up in Hardy for a few days. Any good river spots I can check out after work ?
  11. N

How dark is to dark to keep?

So I'm trying river fishing for the first time this year and I'm wondering. How dark is to dark to keep a Chinook salmon? They were dark but not really black yet on Sunday when I was fishing the big Q River. how fast do they turn and get soft?
  12. N

Island rivers

Any island river reports?
  13. N

Rivers around Nanaimo?

I'd love to bring my kids out for some river Salmon this fall. Where around nanaimo would be a good place to start.?
  14. N

Pinks in the bays yet?

Has anyone seen the pinks in the bays yet? I want to take my kids out for some fun inshore stuff but with the lack of rain I have not seen anything yet around nanaimo shores.
  15. N

Spoons I've got questions

So I Kayak fish saltwater. And I'm looking into starting to troll this summer for salmon. I intend on running a dummy flasher off my cannonball and using spoons If you were to have only 5 spoons for salmon what would they be? I fish almost exclusively nanaimo areas.
  16. N

Campbell fishing pier

I live down in Nanaimo and have heard of the fishing pier in Campbell River. How is it? Is it very busy during the season? Is it a fun place to bring the kids for a few hrs in the summer (don't have a boat so it's shore fishing for salmon for them.) And how successful are people on it?
  17. N

Dry ice or salt ice???

So Iv got a trip planned for end of June. I'm camping and fishing for 3 days. What would be better to keep my catch. Salt ice or dry ice? And I know where I can get dry ice. But where in Nanaimo can I get salt ice. Or on the road north to Port McNeal?
  18. N

VHF questions

So I know you are supposed to have a license for using a VHF radio. But what's the rules for a handheld one for Kayak safety? Also how does one find out the channel that's open for use in your area? I know to only use 16 for emergency and know basic radio procedures from my days in the...
  19. N

Plug question

So I want to try trolling from my kayak. Iv got a assortment of spoons but id like one or two plugs to try. Fish mostly around Nanaimo. But would like something that's a good general color that works most of the time.
  20. N

Cutplug or teasers head.

So I kayak fish but I'm having no luck with jigging up salmon this year, I'm heading to ucluelet next week and want to know is it really that productive, should I grab a bag or two of bait for brine and shuld I get them cut plug setup or just grab some set up teasers heads.?
Back