VHF questions

Northdogboy

So I know you are supposed to have a license for using a VHF radio. But what's the rules for a handheld one for Kayak safety?
Also how does one find out the channel that's open for use in your area? I know to only use 16 for emergency and know basic radio procedures from my days in the military. But just wanted to ask.

So I know you are supposed to have a license for using a VHF radio. But what's the rules for a handheld one for Kayak safety?
Also how does one find out the channel that's open for use in your area? I know to only use 16 for emergency and know basic radio procedures from my days in the military. But just wanted to ask.
I do believe you do not require a license to have a vhf or listen in on any channel. I believe you just need a license if you plan to transmit. Things may have changed and if so hopefully someone gives you better info.

Some good info in this thread

Stay off 16 unless emergency, then pan pan for non threatening emerg and mayday for threatening emergancy
83a for a coastguard radio check, also know your location leaving.
8 for weather
Then u have harbour traffic stations, based where your at or going
When I'm in an area and dont know what the local chat station is, I just put it on scan and sooner or later you pick it up, if there is one.
With cells now, very few actually use there VHF anymore.
Oh remember, push your mike key, count 2-1000 and then talk, I hate it when I miss the first few words because the guy jumped the gun.
Good luck
S-V

Enforcement is more or less unheard of, but if you plan on spending much time on the water you may as well get your certification. It’s a fun little course and there is some important information regarding procedure if you ever have to make or assist in a distress call.

As I understand it, there are a couple of other channels that boaters must not use as talking channels. Channel 70 is for DSC (digital selective calling) and telemetry/digital data for digital saftey and emergency calls as part of the international GMDSS marine emergency system. The other is Channel 65A which is restricted to Search and Rescue Operations.

When I took the course I recall that some very high fines are authorized for misusing the marine radio even for such things as swearing, but I agree not much enforcment takes place. There is a story about some yahoo's siting in a boat on a trailer in a driveway drinking a little too much beer and screwing around on the radio for a while, who were surprised when they were triangulated and the authorities showed up.

Channel 68 I recall is a Ship to Ship channel and is used a lot by sport fishing boats, certainly in the area I fish.

Last edited:
Back